Italian restaurant - Anchorage

rma2001

This may be a long shot but I'm sure someone will know.  We are going to be in Anchorage before a land tour and cruise and I'm doing a marathon there.  My ritual is to eat a simple spaghetti dish (hard to mess up anywhere), but I'd like to get a recommendation for a good Italian restaurant for the rest of the group.  We will have a car so location isn't a concern.

We were sorry to learn that Villa Nova had closed their doors too. Bummer. Just found out last week when I tried to make reservations, they are only a little over a block from our home too.

Orso is one of our favorite restaurants, it is in the middle of downtown on 5th. It's fare has departed from strictly Italian in recent years though. But it does still offer some classic Italian entrées, such as chicken Parmesan ORSO style, a Parmesan-crusted chicken breast topped with house-made tomato sauce and mozzarella and served with vegetable herb capellini.

Sorrento's, on the east end of Fireweed, used to offer excellent Mediterranean dishes although we haven't been there for quite some time.

I was very surprised last winter when I ate lunch in the Olive Garden, a chain, it has been open in Anchorage going on ten years now. I never previously tried it because I heard a couple of bad reviews, like very expensive for what you get. But the cuisine was excellent, Italian, and low priced for what I had. Been there four times since and it is still tops. But, that has always been for lunch, I haven't tried it for dinner. It is located in the largest Mall in Alaska on the east side of Dimond.
Edited by kennicott