prebook train?

jjjct

My husband and I will be on a cruise from Civi in July. We are staying pre and post cruise in Rome. Planning on getting to and from Civi by taking the train from Termini. Is it necessary to prebook the train tickets or can we get them in the terminal the day of?

It's always possible to get a train at the last minute without pre-booking.

The primary reasons to pre-book are to save money (not true on regional trains) or to ensure a seat on capacity controlled trains (also not true for regionals).

If you want an assigned seat on a train you can usually buy these as well at the last minute, buying in advance allows you to get a lower fare.

The only train with actual capacity issues is the new Civitavecchia Express, if you want to use that train reservations are a good idea.

You can buy a ticket from one of the vending machines. However, if you buy ahead of time, it's faster, no CC issues, and no street hustlers coming up and 'helping' you in exchange for a tip.

Also, depending on where you are staying in Rome there may be a closer train station to use that's less crowded and chaotic than Termini.  

There is another option - bus.  It's really easy from Rome.  Travel time is a little longer than the train but you are pretty much guaranteed a seat, they will stow your luggage safely under the bus and, best of all, the bus stop is right around the corner from the port entrance where you pick up the free shuttle bus to your ship.

The bus runs seven days a week, although there are far fewer on Saturdays and Sundays vs. Monday - Friday.  Travel time is about an hour and a half, plus time to get to the bus stop in Rome (Cornelia metro station).  The fare is 3,90 euro.

https://servizi.cotralspa.it/Orari

Just a note about the Cotral web site, it is notoriously hard to use.  If you're interested in the bus and want help navigating the site just post.

Edited by euro cruiser

Thank you Yakb0 and Euro Cruiser for your responses. I think I am going to go with the Frecci train, it's a bit more money but I like the fact that we can get assigned seats. Is this a better option for boarding in Termini? Where do we store our luggage on their train. Do you know what W/C means in a train car? The new Civitavecchia Express doesn't work for us it leaves too late in the afternoon from Rome. Our hotels are both in the Monti/Termini area so we would have to take the metro to get to Cornelia station. I have seen some posts on CC boards about a shared shuttle that departs from Termini, do either of you or anyone else suggest that transportation? This is our first trip to Rome. Thanks!

44 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

water closet = toilet

LOL, thank you - going to not get seats in front of the W/C. Those seats looked good cause they were just 1 and 2 seats across so thought we could put luggage next to us.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:46 PM, Yakb0 said:

You can buy a ticket from one of the vending machines. However, if you buy ahead of time, it's faster, no CC issues, and no street hustlers coming up and 'helping' you in exchange for a tip.

The last time a "hustler" tried to help us buy a ticket I told her that I would accept her help if she paid me 10 Euros!  She got the message, did smile, and we both laughed.  

Hank

If you plan to take the train and do the add on bus to the port shuttle point, there is no need to buy in advance other than to reserve seats on the train from Rome to Civitavecchio. When you do this, both parts have to be at the same fare level and the bus to the port entry is always the base fare.