Carnival Sunrise

kbartges

I am interested on anyone recently on Carnival Sunrise.  Looking at 9/4/19 cruise out of New York.  I have never cruised Carnival before.  Any info would be greatly appreciated in helping with decision.

was on Sunshine out of Port Canaveral last year.  We had a blast!

MDR food was really good but buffet was average.  water park was popular with kids. 

never really felt too crowded except at 2PM on a sea day. 

Just now, mook1525 said:

was on Sunshine out of Port Canaveral last year.  We had a blast!

MDR food was really good but buffet was average.  water park was popular with kids. 

never really felt too crowded except at 2PM on a sea day. 

The OP was asking about Sunrise. 

We just got off the Sunrise on a 14 day Panama Canal itinerary. It’s a nice ship. The new color scheme is less garish than most Carnival ships. My sister-in-law said the new Lido look reminded her more of Norwegian.

The Lido buffet is often crowded with long lines. I liked Guys better; faster food and more likely to find a seat. Blue Iguana is also good. We enjoyed the steakhouse a lot! Same with the Italian restaurant. Recommended. The dining room menus were better some days than others, as is usual.

The public spaces are fine, though the seats in lounges like the Red Frog Pub and Sunrise Lobby were less comfortable than I’d have liked. Those who want good back support be on notice. Didn’t like the theater redesign, which made seating for shows a get-there-early (at least a half hour if you want a decent seat) affair. 

There was a slight (to me, but more noticeable to others in my party) smell of garbage in the aft elevator area at times. On one occasion the elevator reeked.

Staff was wonderful! 

I'm on her that same Cruise ! 9/4.

I have sailed Carnival before but not this class of ship.

Looking forward to it and can not wait.

Turn 60 in Grand Turk!

Look out Jacks Shack!

You'll have fun! Looks like you cruise alot, Give Carnival a shot.

Since several of you are on the same sailing (9/4) please sign up for the Roll Call so we can have a Meet & Mingle and put names to faces.   If there are enough of us, perhaps we can do a slot pull or a cabin crawl.

Have not been on the ship since the updates but did sail on her when she was the Triumph twice.  Very interested to see what was done to the ship.  I did sail on the Sunshine since the updates and found it to be very well done.

MARAPRINCE

I was on the 14 day Panama Cruise on the Sunrise as DiverGal was. I enjoyed the cruise, but Id say that as nice as the Sunrise was, it was my least favorite ship. Plenty to like, I just had more proposed improvements in mind once leaving. Here are some notes. Not necessarily good or bad or in any order. Mostly observations.

- Have to push a button for the Lido deck 'automatic' doors to open. Many folks were caught off guard by this!!

- The design sets the ship up for over crowding. Often, you really had to hunt for a place to sit and eat.

- Comedy Club has a poor design. Sorry, no other way to describe it. You HAVE to leave after any show. Some of the seats are in a hall way where you can not see the stage. They have TVs there so you can see the comedian. 

- Food was good all the way around

- Many activities. We had many wheelchairs and scooters on our cruise, so the activities were not super energetic, but was fun.

- Embarkation / Debarkation and Safety Briefing were a breeze for us.

- Sports Bar had a very different feel to it with all of the College Softball, College Baseball ,Cricket and French Open and Soccer. Big crowds for NBA Finals

- Smaller Theater is not as nice as the regular Theaters to me. Removable seats on the first floor probably gives Carnival a lot of flexibility for different seating formats, but I wasn't a huge fan of this style.

- Service on the ship is great

- Cruise Director , Chris from Scotland is popular and was very good

- The ride for the most part was very smooth

- The Steakhouse is on deck 4. Many of the life boats are hanging from deck 4, so the curtains were always drawn. Usually, you have a nice view of the sea from the Steakhouse. But as I said, the food and service was very good.

- Most (like 98%) of the movies offered in your room on Demand, were free!!

The Sunrise looks great. My wife and I were in 8428 Aft Balcony and it was great. You could see some wear still , but the room, balcony and view was great. I think my comments are coming across as mainly negative, but I know I take for grated a lot of the great things that are on every Carnival cruise ship. As I mentioned...loved the 2 week cruise, but there were a few things (Theater and Comedy Club) that I wish was back to the original way.

36 minutes ago, Maraprince said:

Regarding theatre with moveable seats, do they tend to keep the AC on high?  On Sunshine we could not wait for the Hasbro show to end due to how cold it was in the theatre.

MARAPRINCE

I'm always cold, and I was very comfortable in the theatre and for the most part, the rest of the ship.

1 minute ago, April42749 said:

I'm always cold, and I was very comfortable in the theatre and for the most part, the rest of the ship.

Great!  Glad to hear that!  We were so cold on Sunshine that I actually wore leggings under my long skirt on formal night!  Don't knock it....it really worked.  It also helped that we were on a Canada cruise and I brought the leggings with me to use ashore if necessary.  Needed them on the ship but not ashore in Canada.

MARAPRINCE

We just left the Sunrise on Monday, 6/24 after a quick 4 day to Bermuda.   It was our first time on Carnival after 7 RCCL cruises.  We had read some negative reviews on Carnival but my feeling is that people will take time out to complain before they take time to compliment so let's try it!

I don't know what the Triumph was like before the renovations, we were surprised at the amount of wear and tear since it had only been sailing a few months before we boarded.   The Serenity area left a LOT to be desired unless you just wanted to sit in the sun & not step foot in water.  The hot tub held about 4 people & only one side had a ledge to sit on.  

The food was great all around with so many choices that were included.  The buffet opened usual times, then again from 1130pm-1am for snacks & omelettes.  Breakfast buffet was open until 12 & sea day brunch in the main dining room was until 1pm each day for those of us who may have stayed up a bit too late at the Red Frog Pub the night before!    Pizza line was long but moved fairly quickly.   We tried to get to the Carnival Deli but the line was long & did not move quickly.  Sushi (not included) was delicious.   The Lobster Rolls at the Seafood Shack ($12 for 2 large lobster rolls & fries) were to die for!  We did not do specialty restaurants since it was our first time on the ship & there appeared to be a ton of food options.  We did eat at Cucina del Capitano the last sea day for lunch which was included with made to order pasta which was also delicious.

I agree with the previous comments about comedy club being too small as well as the main theater but we always found good seats arriving at least 30 minutes prior to show time when the doors open.   The shows were so-so but that was due to the rough seas, they were unable to perform the entire production.  The comedians were hysterical in the club & the main theater show. 

The ship's layout is strange in that not all elevators go to all floors. There are technically 12 decks on the ship but some elevators only went up to 9.   Finding the comedy club is a maze on deck 4 with it not being a "through" deck.   

The Mega Deck party was crowded but enough room for everyone to dance up a few stairs to the next pool deck.   Music in the Red Frog Pub was outstanding, the electric violin group in the atrium were wonderful. 

I hope this post is not coming off as negative.  All in all the ship was FUN, the atrium sing-alongs & dance parties were great.  Staff was friendly, bartenders were amazing & overall the ship was clean & nicely furnished.  

Hope you have a GREAT time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Maraprince said:

Regarding theatre with moveable seats, do they tend to keep the AC on high?  On Sunshine we could not wait for the Hasbro show to end due to how cold it was in the theatre.

MARAPRINCE

I never felt cold.

17 hours ago, 25yrsandcounting said:

The ship's layout is strange in that not all elevators go to all floors. There are technically 12 decks on the ship but some elevators only went up to 9.   Finding the comedy club is a maze on deck 4 with it not being a "through" deck.   

The Mega Deck party was crowded but enough room for everyone to dance up a few stairs to the next pool deck.   Music in the Red Frog Pub was outstanding, the electric violin group in the atrium were wonderful.

Correct. The comedy club had an 'entrance' and an 'exit'. Not formally, but a Carnival preferred. So after the show, they had you leave and go out of the back of the club, while a new crowd came in the front. You HAD to leave the club, and if you wanted to get back in, you got in line. The line was ALWAYS long. Usually, you just decide on one show, and call it a night.

The band in the Red Frog Pub was great. A full band including 3 or 4 horns. But again, if you were there 5 minutes early, youd have a difficult time finding seats.

I hope folks are realizing how much good stuff Im leaving out, but I am complaining mainly about the stuff that was altered that I feel just doesn't work out better for the consumer.

Just returned from a 4 day trip to Bermuda on the Sunrise - 1st time on Carnival and to be honest probably will be the last. We booked through Expedia travel for a Rock the Boat Disco Cruise a year and a half ago, you would think that the booking agent had enough time to get it all sorted. Not the case - our Cocktail party, Meet and Greet and performances with France Jolie and Felipe Rose were all scheduled for 10am and 10:30am. No one was thrilled with this. She blamed it on Carnival - to be fair I don't think this was Carnivals fault but an easy way for her to pass the blame.

Our party had 4 people, we asked for adjoining cabins and were told there were none on this ship so we booked a balcony cabin and were told that we could access the adjoining cabin thru a shared balcony - they would "open a gate"  which would adjoin the 2 cabins - 2 and 1/2 days of going back and forth trying to get them to open the gate - only to be finally told this couldn't be done.  

Almost all of the Hand Sanitizer dispensers were empty.

The food was awful; tasteless, portions were skimpy, no matter where you went to eat the lines were ridiculously long. Our cabin steward told us not to go to the pay for restaurant on Captains Night - go to the regular restaurant since this was the only time they serve Lobster -- get to the restaurant and we are told if we wanted the lobster we had to pay $20.00 per person more. 

There was some sort of sewage backup when we docked at Bermuda - the stench in the halls was quite pungent.

Disembarkation was a nightmare - not one crew member around to guide, help or give ANY assistance. We waited 40 minutes for an elevator to get to Deck 3. One whole bank of elevators were turned off. There was a party of disabled adults who finally made it to the deck and the poor people didn't know which way to go. We had to show them which hall to go to (and only because after waiting on the wrong line we were told this line was only for wheelchair bound passengers). They turned off the air it was sweltering in the lobby. 

The whole trip left a bad taste. 😞

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 11:06 AM, kbartges said:

I am interested on anyone recently on Carnival Sunrise.  Looking at 9/4/19 cruise out of New York.  I have never cruised Carnival before.  Any info would be greatly appreciated in helping with decision.

Here is my recent review related to the 6/24/2019 cruise. Title related to another person who said Sunrise was the worst ship a sea.  No chance that is true.  Overall I gave it a B.  Had fun and adapted.