Has anyone used cancel for work reason insurance to cancel?

sanger727

Hello,

I am in a situation where I would like to plan a trip later this year. I am certain I can get time off approved but there is a very small chance that someone will come up at the last minute at work that will require me to not go. I assume cancel for work reason insurance would be the way to go. Has anyone used this before and what was required in terms of proof to make the claim? Will a letter from my boss suffice or do they need something else?

thanks

I actually was recently looking into the same thing.  I received some quotes from TripInsuranceStore.com and eventually received the actual policy details for one policy that states 

“You, Your Traveling Companion or a Family Member traveling with You is required to work during the Trip. A written statement by an unrelated company official and/or the human resources department demonstrating revocation of previously approved time off will be required. This provision is not applicable to temporary employment, independent contractors or self-employed persons”

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2019 at 9:37 PM, Luckiestmanonearth said:

I actually was recently looking into the same thing.  I received some quotes from TripInsuranceStore.com and eventually received the actual policy details for one policy that states 

“You, Your Traveling Companion or a Family Member traveling with You is required to work during the Trip. A written statement by an unrelated company official and/or the human resources department demonstrating revocation of previously approved time off will be required. This provision is not applicable to temporary employment, independent contractors or self-employed persons”

Thank you for this information. I was sent here from the NCL threads since I'm looking to insure my dd and her boyfriends Haven cabin that I booked for August 2020. Both are attorneys and although they say August 2020 should be fine, if there is a reason they cannot go due to work, I want to be able to get some of the money back since final payment is April  for the August cruise.

I was given both insuremytrip and tripinsurnacestore as recommendations on the NCL board and will look at tripinsurancestore since you mentioned it above.

I will show the information to my dd but I am wondering what does a written statement by an "unrelated" company official mean? and/or? Can it just be from HR or both?

Hope we don't have to use but want my bases covered.

Thank you.

I think “unrelated” is used in a literal sense here - as in a family owned business or a company official who has some kind of close relationship with the person cancelling. You know - something like getting Mom to write you a note to skip school.

The “and/or” language is probably in there to provide for companies of various size and organization.  I expect letter from HR would be sufficient, but you can always call for clarification before you buy the policy.

• 2 weeks later...

We have had to do this twice, most recently as last week. Most policies that include cancel for work list it as such in the policy, but you often have to look through the policy. The two companies we have used have been Travel Guard and Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance. For Travel Guard you need to purchase the Gold plan to have this benefit included. In both cases we just had to supply a notarized letter from the employer stating we needed to work and then we were reimbursed for our nonrefundable expenses. In both cases it was just the cost of airline tickets since we were lucky enough to find out prior to final payment.