Insurance, cancelling, and ES

BENHANDEL

Greetings. We are going on our 3rd CCL voyage at Christmas (Breeze, following Horizon last Christmas). We booked ES with the $50/person deposits, 5 people across 2 cabins. We actually paid $500/cabin to get the amex rebate. We got insurance, this time through "insuremytrip" and "tripAssure."

My FIL was diagnosed with a chronic lung condition (IPF) this year, with a prognosis of 2-7 years. It has been progressing very fast. This weekend he will start on palliative cares, new life expectancy 6-12 months, but the last estimate was optimistically inaccurate...and 6 months brings us to the December cruise...

I am certainly not going to cancel at this time: if he is stable by then, or has passed and life has settled by then, we will still go. 

BUT....I want to better understand logistics and options with my trip I surance so we can make the best decision when the time arrives. I scanned my insurance document, but the legalistic language leaves some of my specific questions unclear:

At what point in his care/passing could we trigger the insurance? The plan has coverage for "family" "death" or "significant illness."  If he is in "hospice" by then, but still with us, would that count? What about if he passes in Nov or December, but we do not feel ready to leave for a celebratory trip by Christmas?

If we decide to cancel before final payment due in October, would insurance cover anything? The pre-paid flights? And if it covers the deposit, is that including the early saver fee?

What else should I think about in this process (other than the obvious-my husband, my family and FIL)?

Note- I have been through this with both of my parents, but this will be the first parent-loss for my husband. And with both of my parents, their illness was severe but we thought we had more time (cancer and a stroke). In both of those cases, we had a trip planned in the near future, talked about cancelling it, but decided to wait until "the last minute." With both of their passings, the family trip a month or two later was an important getaway and restoration point with our own kids. So in this case, I also want to wait as long as possible to make the decision, but will not be willing to travel when he transitions to hospice care. 

Any guidance appreciated,

I'm so sorry for your situation and hope that everything goes smoothly with your FIL (I've been there, as well).  I can't answer about your specific insurance, other than to say that they will only cover the non-refundable portion of your loss (this is universal for all insurances).  So, if you cancel prior to final payment date, the insurance will cover the $50 pp penalty imposed by Carnival, but not the portion held as a future cruise credit.  If you included your non-refundable airline tickets in the policy, then they will cover those as well.

• Like 1

We had to cancel embarkation day of a cruise due to emergency surgery.  Insurance reimbursed us rather quickly - but they did have forms that had to be signed by his physician, and they will want receipts for all your cruise payments - I sent them both email payment confirmations and they required the actual credit card receipt (I gave them redacted statements). 

I mention those so you can have them handy and ready if you need them.  I'm sure since your circumstance will be different, there may be additional information required.

I wouldn't cancel until you absolutely need to unless you decide you just won't want to go.

Hang in there, I know it is a tough time.

When insurance says it will cover the death of a family member I don't think it means 2 months after the death but you'd have to check or call the actual insurance company to see what their definition might be.

It certainly would cover if he was in hospice as that is certainly "serious illness " but again each insurance company may have their own definitions and instead of asking here you might actually call and talk to an insurance person.

Sometimes airlines will say that your non refundable ticket can be used within 1 year if you pay a fee and so the insurance company may not cover their total cost right away.

They will only cover for what you have actually paid and cannot use.

call and discuss this with the fine folks at Insuremytrip. That's why you went with a broker.

They will know the exact wording of the policy they sold you and should be able to better provide you with guidance

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

call and discuss this with the fine folks at Insuremytrip. That's why you went with a broker.

They will know the exact wording of the policy they sold you and should be able to better provide you with guidance

THIS 

The only thing I do know is most insurances won't cover you for not wanting to go after.  My BIL mother passed away 3 weeks before our family cruise.  Insurance would not cover them wanting to cancel for emotional reasons, 

The best bet is call insurancemytrip   They have been very helpful answering questions for us.

• Like 1