Fairbanks help

BeeSkip

Hi cruisers.  We are going to be in Fairbanks 2 days prior to picking up the Cruisetour which included a city  tour & the riverboat discovery.  So... what is good to do for 2 days on our own???  Any local restaurants to recommend for any meal.  We will be staying at Sophie suites. Is there uber in Fairbanks?  Would it be worth it to rent a car ?   Hiking close by????   Thanks is advance... 

Bee

Your questions are so broad in nature I find it difficult to answer.  Do you know what is included in your city tour?  

If you go to the "2019 Resources for Planning a Trip to Alaska" thread hosted by "Mapleleaves" you should be able to find the Fairbanks Visitor and Convention website.  Ton if ideas on that website.

The Sophie Station hotel has on on-site restaurant.  There are two fast food options within very close walking distance.  A local casual restaurant named Brewsters is also within close walking distance.  Again it is difficult to answer without knowing what you expect to spend on a meal or what sort of menu is appealing.

Several years ago our state legislature modified our wage and hour laws, so now Alaska does have both Uber and Lyft.  Also, the Fountainhead family of hotels (which includes the Sophie Station) has a trolley which has a set route around Fairbanks.  E-mail the hotel for the route stops.  Fountainhead operates the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum, and I suspect that trolley route stops at that museum.  Depending on what you decided to do in Fairbanks you may not need to rent a car.  

If you want more of Alaska.   A suggestion would be a day trip flight/road combo to Coldfoot.   http://www.northernalaska.com/.   Has a superb tour.    But I never recommend the rt road trip.  😀.   At the least a car offers so much more.      Www.explorefairbanks.com

On 6/15/2019 at 4:48 PM, BeeSkip said:

Hi cruisers.  We are going to be in Fairbanks 2 days prior to picking up the Cruisetour which included a city  tour & the riverboat discovery.  So... what is good to do for 2 days on our own???  Any local restaurants to recommend for any meal.  We will be staying at Sophie suites. Is there uber in Fairbanks?  Would it be worth it to rent a car ?   Hiking close by????   Thanks is advance... 

Bee

When i was there i did the Riverboat discovery tour with lunch afterward.  It is an old fashioned type paddlewheel riverboat narrated tour that is 3 hours long.  It goes past a dogsledding homestead complete with demonstration, a float plane demonstration and you go to an "authentic" athabascan native village where you disembark and tour to see how they live.It was very good and worthwhile.  You can also go to the Museum of the North with has a history of the Alaskan native history, the Pioneer Park if very fun which also highlights Alaska's pat, has some shops and an airplane museum.  If you have a car you can travel a short distance to the North Pole which is a constant "Christmas town" and you can have your mail postmarked from the North Pole if you have some little ones that might enjoy a letter from Santa etc.