Are Malaria Shots Required for Cruises Stopping in Brazil Ports?

Camillus112

As i  recall what is required for Brazil is the Yellow Fever vaccination.. Your cruise documents should mention this. Also check the CDC website because even if not required by Seabourn it might be prudent. I can tell you that last year when our cruise was going from Cape Town to Singapore because the ship had previously come from Brazil Madagascar required all passengers to show proof of having been vaccinated against Yellow Fever. When Madagascar was removed from the itinerary this requirement was removed.  

Thanks for your replies.  I did go to the CDC website and it is very informative with regards to suggestions of several vaccines (measles, malaria, yellow fever, hepatitis, flu, etc.) for Brazil, however it does not pinpoint any requirement per se.  Somehow I had read on this board that Seabourn did have a requirement... but I may be wrong.  I will need to call Seabourn to be sure.  Thanks again.

My husband and I took the BA to Manaus cruise this year. Seabourn did not require guests to take anti-malarial medications. 

After studying maps of malarial areas in South America, my husband and I decided that that it was prudent to begin taking Malarone as we we approached the mouth of the Amazon.  We did this because the maps indicated that there was malaria in the jungles along the river and some of its tributaries.  

During our shore activities as we sailed up the Amazon, we did get bitten by mosquitos a handful of times -- despite using repellant.  I think it comes down to your comfort level re the possibility of getting bitten by an infected mosquito (we're pretty risk-averse).  

Bear in mind that, if you're planning to participate in some of Ventures excursions (e.g., kayaking along the shore), that will affect your odds of encountering a malarial mosquito.  

By the way -- we loved the cruise.  The Quest stopped at some Brazilian ports with lots of colonial history, and there were excellent lecturers onboard (some focused on culture/history; others on the flora and fauna).  Seeing the Amazon was a wonderful experience.  

If you want any information about specific ports, please feel free to ping me at annehwright [at] gmail [dot] com.

As mentioned above, there is no vaccine for malaria. Very few countries require vaccines, except for areas where Yellow fever is endemic.  However, if it is wise to be immunized for Measles/Mumps/Rubella, hepatitis and influenza even if you are staying home!

16 hours ago, DC Traveler244 said:

My husband and I took the BA to Manaus cruise this year. Seabourn did not require guests to take anti-malarial medications. 

After studying maps of malarial areas in South America, my husband and I decided that that it was prudent to begin taking Malarone as we we approached the mouth of the Amazon.  We did this because the maps indicated that there was malaria in the jungles along the river and some of its tributaries.  

During our shore activities as we sailed up the Amazon, we did get bitten by mosquitos a handful of times -- despite using repellant.  I think it comes down to your comfort level re the possibility of getting bitten by an infected mosquito (we're pretty risk-averse).  

Bear in mind that, if you're planning to participate in some of Ventures excursions (e.g., kayaking along the shore), that will affect your odds of encountering a malarial mosquito.  

By the way -- we loved the cruise.  The Quest stopped at some Brazilian ports with lots of colonial history, and there were excellent lecturers onboard (some focused on culture/history; others on the flora and fauna).  Seeing the Amazon was a wonderful experience.  

If you want any information about specific ports, please feel free to ping me at annehwright [at] gmail [dot] com.

Thank you so much, DCTraveller, for the detailed information on your cruise.  This was very helpful!  I am not planning any shore activity while on the Amazon, but will research on Malarone in order to be extra careful.  I will be emailing you later on for tips and comments...thanks for the opportunity!!

16 hours ago, KathieL said:

As mentioned above, there is no vaccine for malaria. Very few countries require vaccines, except for areas where Yellow fever is endemic.  However, if it is wise to be immunized for Measles/Mumps/Rubella, hepatitis and influenza even if you are staying home!

You are so right that we all should take preventive measures as the vaccines you mentioned.  Unfortunately, due to an immunological condition, some vaccines are not recommended for me.  I will certainly be checking with my doctor.  Thanks for your suggestions.

As an aside, Brazil no longer requires US citizens to have a visa to enter the country.  This became effective yesterday, June 17. 

And, if you can, do get your yellow fever vaccine for the Amazon cruises.  

Gracias, Marazul, no visa required is great news.  It's a wonderful itinerary, and it seems many SB cruisers think so as well, since my TA says it's filling up fast.  We will be making a decision after my medical consult.

On 6/16/2019 at 5:08 PM, KathieL said:

There are two malaria vaccines that have been developed recently.  The first is RTS, S known by the trade name Mosquirix and developed by GSK.  Mosquirix has been shown to have limited efficacy due to poor immunogenicity.  However, the PfSPZ-C vaccine developed by the biotech company Sanaria has been shown to be 100 percent effective (if you have access, see the primary research article,  B. Mordmuller, et. al.  Sterile protection against human malaria by chemoattenuated PfSPZ vaccine. Nature, 2017; DOI: 10.1038/nature21060 or take a look at the following link if pop science is more your speed.  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170215131606.htm).

If your itinerary stops in Ilhabela, I highly recommend covering yourself with insect repellent before catching the tender. There are giant flies that leave nasty bites if you are not protected but will leave you alone otherwise. Personally I was warned prior to my cruise by a Brasilian and only encountered one on the pier on my way back to the tender. It did a nose dive down the front of my dress. It didn't bite, but I almost ended up in the water.😎

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KathieL said:

I have read of the new vaccine, but have not heard that it is approved and available yet.  If you know otherwise, Sananda, please post that information.

Both are available outside of the US and are approved and readily available in the EU. 

In the US, Mosquirix in nearing the end of the standard FDA approval process.  Although technically in the middle of a Phase 3 pilot implementation program administered by the WHO in Africa, the FDA did approve the final phase 4 analysis by GSK in the US.  It looks like there are 10 million doses available for the MVIP studies. 

Because of its high efficacy and due to the strong need, the PfSPZ vaccine was fast-tracked by the FDA in 2016.  This special status makes it more difficult to see how close it is to final approval, but it does make it easier to obtain.

I have not tried to obtain either vaccine in the US, as I have no need.  Based on past experience, if you demonstrated need and were then insistent and then persistent, you should be able to obtain these vaccines in the US. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2019 at 2:01 PM, Camillus112 said:

We are looking into booking the Quest cruise Buenos Aires to Manaus in March 2020.  Will malaria shots be required by Seabourn?  Thanks for your help!

We've been to Brazil 5 times in the past three years and didn't need a malaria or yellow fever shot.  Rules always change though so it's better to check.  If you're over 70, yellow fever shot is not recommended.

• Like 1

Exactly, fudgbug, and in my case the doctor does not recommend the cruise (sniff, sniff).  I've done some academic research on Carmen Miranda and would have loved to see her memorabilia in Rio's new museum.

Edited by Camillus112

7 hours ago, fudgbug said:

We've been to Brazil 5 times in the past three years and didn't need a malaria or yellow fever shot.  Rules always change though so it's better to check.  If you're over 70, yellow fever shot is not recommended.

We are over 70 and  went to Tanzania on safari last October (🤔 I know that it isn’t Brazil but be patient with me)

We were advised to and had the Yellow Fever shots before we left (with no ill effects BTW)

We were so glad we did because we had to display  our Yellow Fever cards as we walked down the steps from the plane. (that parked way out from the terminal)

No cards you had to wait aside on the tarmac and were put back on the plane!

The point of my recounting this is if there is an outbreak when you’re in an area you may have problems.

So have the shots.🙄😀

Edited by SKP946

3 hours ago, SKP946 said:

We are over 70 and  went to Tanzania on safari last October (🤔 I know that it isn’t Brazil but be patient with me)

We were advised to and had the Yellow Fever shots before we left (with no ill effects BTW)

We were so glad we did because we had to display  our Yellow Fever cards as we walked down the steps from the plane. (that parked way out from the terminal)

No cards you had to wait aside on the tarmac and were put back on the plane!

The point of my recounting this is if there is an outbreak when you’re in an area you may have problems.

So have the shots.🙄😀

Where did you fly in from? I thought that Tanzania only required yellow fever vaccination proof if you arrive from a country with a high risk of yellow fever. That list doesn't include Australia. Did you stop off on the way at another African country? 

Not that the vaccine isn't a good idea anyway, however I was surprised you were required to show proof. If we went there (and we were looking at doing a safari) we'd have relied on the online information and not been vaccinated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rols said:

Where did you fly in from? I thought that Tanzania only required yellow fever vaccination proof if you arrive from a country with a high risk of yellow fever. That list doesn't include Australia. Did you stop off on the way at another African country? 

Not that the vaccine isn't a good idea anyway, however I was surprised you were required to show proof. If we went there (and we were looking at doing a safari) we'd have relied on the online information and not been vaccinated. 

We flew from Melbourne via Doha (transit) to Kilimanjaro airport in Tanzania.

A fellow pax who lived in Arusha warned us to have our yellow cards out out as we walked  off the plane. There were two guys watching at the bottom of the steps and pulling people aside if they weren't showing their yellow cards. 

We had no prior knowledge of this, so we were relieved that we hadn’t pleaded the “over 70” excuse (as I’ve read on these board’s more than once)

Coming back into Melbourne we were also given the third degree, wanting to know exactly where we’d been and looking closely at our yellow cards.

BTW rolls, we had an amazing safari; we saw the “Big 3”cats in the first hour after leaving the light plane in Tanangire NP, plus  nearly everything else in the first hour (except a rhino, none in the park)

We saw over 1,000 each of elephant, zebra and buffalo the next day,  plus giraffe, hippo and assorted antelope;  also 2  lion kills up close.

if you want any more info you can email me at my CC Tag, (above my elephant photo) at gmail dot com

We spotted this leopard 20 minutes after leaving the airstrip !

7165CE6E-C416-483A-BB16-97C4DDA5C2D2.png

Edited by SKP946
  • Like 2

I am booked on the March 2020 voyage on Quest from Buenos Aires-Manaus-Miami, and my documents note "Vaccination Required" for French Guiana only. Nothing for Brazil and no specification which vaccination for French Guiana. I expect closer to final payment there will be more info.