Train System in Civitavecchia and Rome

lesley_willis1971

I've been doing a lot of reading on here. I've looked at maps of Rome, Civitavecchia and then the Metro stops map as well. My questions are ....I.) We are staying near the Parliment (pic of map attached) and I'm not seeing any metro stops close by, at all. The Air BnB host said that Termini is about a 10 minute walk. There are 4 reasonably healthy adults plus luggage. Is this 10 minute walk something reasonably easy or is it more like a serious pain to try it with luggage? I've been to Rome once before but never used public transportation. So I'm not familiar with Termini. 

2.) Basically the same question about the Civitavecchia train station to the cruise terminal walk. I've read that it's an even further walk now since the entrance has moved? 

The best I can get a private transfer for the 4 of us is 120 euros each way. Considering I'm having to pay the full amount rather than splitting 4 ways, I was hoping to find a more cost effective way. But if it's really THAT difficult to attempt with luggage then maybe the extra expense is worth it. 

Additionally, when we arrive back into Civitavecchia to head home we have a late flight , so we won't be on a time crunch. So I was thinking of taking the train back to FCO. Has anyone done this before? Is it possible without 1st going to Rome?

Thank you in advance!

Lesley

1560709919662-1540180085.jpg

Welcome to Rome....  The metro doesn't really go through the center of Rome because everywhere they dig, they run into the ruins of ancient Rome. So the metro doesn't work very well for those staying in the heart of the historic center.

If the place on your map with the arrow marked Air BnB is where you are staying, I would say it is more than a 10-minute walk to Termini, especially with luggage. And yes, a bit of a pain. An option would be to arrange for a taxi to pick you up and take you to Termini (probably around 10 euro, more or less) BUT with four people and the normal amount of luggage that cruise passengers, take, you probably would not all fit in one normal-sized taxi.  So it might be 20 euro plus train fare versus 120 total cost. Also keep in mind that on the other end (in Civitavecchia) you'll either have to walk to the port entrance (about 20 minutes with luggage but relatively easy walking) or take a local dedicated bus at 2 euro per person. The port shuttle is free.

So:  120 euro door to door, no hassle.

Or:  20 euro for taxi(s) to train station; tote your luggage a long way to the auxiliary tracks for the train to Civitavecchia, pay 4.60 x 4 euro for train tickets on regionale train; get off train, potentially schlep all luggage down one flight of stairs and up another flight to cross the tracks; purchase bus tickets for 8 euro for bus to port entrance, schlep luggage on/off bus; locate free port shuttle headed to your bus, load luggage on, ride to your terminal, unload luggage and you are there.

Some travel light (including me, usually) and don't mind all the schlepping. But there is definitely a trade-off between cost and effort and you can best determine what works for you and your group.

Regarding your return, there is not an easy or direct way to take the train from the port to the airport. You have to go through Rome and transfer at some point there.

Sorry, but even when I was in training and walking about thirty miles a week I could not walk from Via degli Uffici del Vicario to Termini in ten minutes.  First, it's too far (almost a mile and a half) and second, it's uphill.  I would estimate a half hour or slightly more, depending on the amount of luggage.

The closest metro stop to this location is Barberini, a little over a half mile straight up Via del Tritone.   You could walk there in about 15 minutes.

One option I've mentioned a couple of times lately is the bus.  From your location you'd need to walk to the Barberini metro station (a little over a half mile) and take the metro from there to Cornelia (eight stops, see map here:  https://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4).

At Cornelia you'd get the Cotral bus to the port, the stop is just around the corner from the port entrance where the free shuttle buses pick up to take you to your ship.

It's less hassle than the train but no where near as convenient as a car service door to door.

Edited by euro cruiser

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

One option I've mentioned a couple of times lately is the bus.  From your location you'd need to walk to the Barberini metro station (a little over a half mile) and take the metro from there to Cornelia (eight stops, see map here:  https://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4).

At Cornelia you'd get the Cotral bus to the port, the stop is just around the corner from the port entrance where the free shuttle buses pick up to take you to your ship.

It's less hassle than the train but no where near as convenient as a car service door to door.

Do you happen to know the name of the bus company or if I could prebook/pay for tickets??

The bus company is Cotral, it's the public bus service in Lazio and you can't pre-book it.

You would take the metro to the Cornelia station, then walk about a third of a mile up the street to the Cotral depot (there's a ticket office at the depot).

The bus to Civitavecchia takes about 90 minutes and costs 3,90 euro per person.

The stop in Civitaveccia is the last one before the end of the line, on Via Braccianese Claudia.  It's right around the corner from the port entrance where you pick up the free shuttle to your ship.

https://servizi.cotralspa.it/PercorsiTariffe

No way could I do that walk in 10 minutes (without luggage) and I routinely walk 8-12 miles a day (16:30 per mile).  Also consider that once you do get to Termini it is another several blocks of walking (inside the huge station) to get to the distant track where you will find the regional train to Civitavecchia.

As to using the train to get to FCO from the port it is doable but somewhat of a pain.  Here is how it works.  You would get off the ship and take the free port shuttle bus from near the pier to the Largo Della Pace transfer area.  At that point you would exit the free bus and buy tickets (for 2 Euros per ticket) for the local bus that will take you directly to the Civitavecchia train station.  You can then catch the next regional train to Rome's Trastevere station where you would change to a different regional train that takes you out to FCO!  I am not sure of the current cost but would guess its about 8-9 Euros per person (for the train and transfer bus).  The time of this trip will vary depending on connections but you should expect it to take about 2 hours with the waiting for the bus, trains, and transfers.  Also keep in mind that the regional trains are older stock and are not designed for those with lots of luggage.  There is usually a small overhead rack (not large enough for larger pieces of luggage) and some room for larger luggage at the end of each car.  But if leaving your luggage at the end of a car you need to maintain a constant watch (especially when you are nearing stations) to make sure nobody "borrows" your luggage.  I actually carry a lightweight retractable luggage cable lock that we can use to secure our luggage together and to something on the train.

Hank