Rome walking

Luv2cruz1000

Just happened to read in another post that Termini area is "up hill". Is Rome very hilly when walking around the historic center. Is one direction more downhill? We had planned to go from the Coloseum an head Roman Forum,trevi fountain, spanish steps, Trastevere and  maybe Vatican. We realize this is too much walking so maybe catching an uber to transfer between an area. Is there a particular area of Rome that it would make good sense to avoid up hill walking? Using the train to get to Rome.Thanks

Rome is hilly, yes. If you ever studied any ancient history, you might recall the story about Rome being a city built on seven hills. (There are actually more than that....!)

That said, through the years most of them have been leveled somewhat. However, there are still some steep walks (Gianicolo hill, for one, Palatine hill for another....)

The Forum and Colosseum are right next to each other. Trevi Fountain and the Spanish steps are also close to one another and in the scheme of things, not far from the Forum. (I might urge you to skip the Spanish steps, they are nothing special, and instead include the Pantheon, the most intact and beautiful building from Roman times...)  Your two outliers are the Vatican and Trastevere. 

If you're doing this on a port day, you are being pretty ambitious. I think it's too much, even if you are not planning to do anything in depth. Are you going to want to go inside anywhere? If you can give us a better sense of what you want to do, it would be easier to make suggestions. For example, it's pretty easy to get a taxi (uber isn't the way to go in Rome) from the Colosseum to the Vatican for a cost of around 15 euro. Or you could take the metro from the Colosseum to the Spanish Steps, both of which are close to metro stations.

You can also take the metro from the Termini area to a stop near the Colosseum.  

Everything else cruisemom says is true.  

To me, from Termini to the Centro Storico is first uphill, then downhill, from what I remember.  Reverse it on the way back.   But, that's a bit of a walk in any case.  Use metro/taxi to/from Termini.

8 hours ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

Using the train to get to Rome.

Is this from elsewhere in Italy, or from Civitavecchia on a port-of-call day?

If from Civi there's no need to take the train all the way to Termini.

You can get off at San Pietro for the Vatican, or Ostiense (then two stops on the metro) for the Colosseum.

Or take the train to one of those, walk the sights, then the train back to Civi from the other.

Apart from the convenience that also knocks 20 minutes or more off your time on the train.

That whole area - Colosseum to Forum to Trevi to Spanish Steps to Pantheon to Piazza Navona to the Vatican to San Pietro station  - is all pretty level, and the total walking time (excluding sauntering and stopping) is around 90 minutes.

But I agree that the Spanish Steps, which is off-route and will cost you about 30 minutes total, is not a big deal - mebbe decide on the day according to how well you're keeping up with the clock. 

And you can save about 20 minutes by taking a taxi (or bus?) between Piazza Navona and the Vatican.

Travel on Rome's metro and city buses is included in your train ticket.

I've excluded Palatine Hill  - yes, a very steep hill, and won't fit in a port-of-call timescale

And I've excluded Trastevere because of the distance (not walkable in a port-of-call time-scale) and because I think of it as more of a place for evening dining.

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

Thank you for all the replies, I will take off the Spanish steps and the Vatican would be a quick look around St Peter's Square if we had time.

We are anticipating it being very hot (July) and as well we have some trouble with walking steep hills. (and Yes,summer is the only time we can travel!) 

This is a port day from Civitavecchia. 

Anyone know if it would make sense, if we didn't go to the Vatican, to take the train from Trastevere (as long as we did not do the express train.)

2 hours ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

Anyone know if it would make sense, if we didn't go to the Vatican, to take the train from Trastevere (as long as we did not do the express train.)

I assume you are thinking of doing this at the end of your day?

Logistically it makes sense if Trastevere is your last stop. Be aware, though, that the trains can get very crowded going back to Civitavecchia at the time of day (mid- to late afternoon) when all the cruisers want to return to their ships. I imagine in July that yours will not be the only ship in port. 

If you board at Termini, the originating point, you are much more likely to get a seat. (Or, worst case, to get on the train.) Sometimes they get so packed that at later stops in the city you cannot even squeeze onto the car. If you are in this situation, the best thing to do is to head for either the very front or very back of the train (try to judge where these points will be, and stand there prior to the train's arrival).  The middle of the trains usually fills up first, for some reason.... I guess people don't want to walk to the ends. Once the train comes, you won't have very long to search for a less crowded car. Just be sure you get on!

"A quick look at St. Peter's" -  dream on!  Unless you are there when it opens up for the day, expect a long queue in unshaded St. Peter's Square.  When I went there a couple of years ago, I got there about 11am.  I ended up waiting 90 minutes in a queue that wrapped all the way around the Square (I started out where the trailer is for the Vatican Post Office) before I got to the "mag & bag" (metal detector and bag check).  

9 hours ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

Thank you for all the replies, I will take off the Spanish steps and the Vatican would be a quick look around St Peter's Square if we had time.

We are anticipating it being very hot (July) and as well we have some trouble with walking steep hills. (and Yes,summer is the only time we can travel!) 

This is a port day from Civitavecchia. 

Anyone know if it would make sense, if we didn'

50 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

"A quick look at St. Peter's" -  dream on!  Unless you are there when it opens up for the day, expect a long queue in unshaded St. Peter's Square.  When I went there a couple of years ago, I got there about 11am.  I ended up waiting 90 minutes in a queue that wrapped all the way around the Square (I started out where the trailer is for the Vatican Post Office) before I got to the "mag & bag" (metal detector and bag check).  

t go to the Vatican, to take the train from Trastevere (as long as we did not do the express train.)

The OP actually says "a quick look around St. Peter's Square" which I take to mean an exterior visit only. But point well made for those considering going inside.

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

First time visit! I assume by the reply above but please clarify. You can walk into St Peter's square without going through metal detectors, correct. The queries are to get into the Cathedral etc.

Heed cruisemom's words about crowded trains.:classic_ohmy:

Consider going the other way round - get off at San Pietro, to St P's Square, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Trevi, Forum, Colosseum. 

Then metro to either Termini or  Ostiense (the metro station is actually called Piramide but it's right next to Ostiense station). 

Termini gives much more chance of a seat, but it's a very long walk to the platform for trains to Civi . But even Ostiense is before Trastevere and San Pietro, so a fighting chance of getting a seat.

Something like this

https://goo.gl/maps/3mkmF43Dibof9c5W8

Metro map

https://www.rome.info/metro/

JB :classic_smile:

3 hours ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

First time visit! I assume by the reply above but please clarify. You can walk into St Peter's square without going through metal detectors, correct. The queries are to get into the Cathedral etc.

Yes, the metal detectors are for those headed inside St. Peters. You can look around the square with no problem. 

9 hours ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

Sorry - I just got off of work and saw your query.  Yes, you can walk around the Square without a problem.  My mind had gone straight to going inside the Basilica.   I had done a night walk around the Square the evening I did the nighttime Vatican Museums visit.  It was virtually deserted - maybe 30 people around.  The next time I visited Rome I decided my one big thing was to into St. Peter's.  The difference in the number of people in the Square was astounding.  And, yes, I had that 90 minute wait to people-watch!