Calling all jazz cruisers

wwcruisers

On 2/13/2024 at 2:33 PM, NinS said:

While our Botti At Sea friends are enjoying their cruise I noticed that Boz Scaggs was removed from the 2025 lineup, while David Foster with Katherine McPhee were added for a return engagement. 

Oh My Goodness, this was an absolutely life-changing experience!! We just got off the Summit this morning. The music was mind blowing. Chris Botti is…I’m not sure I have words. The quality of the musical talent was excellent. Full Disclosure: We were not extensively familiar with all of Chris Botti’s stuff but really wanted the Jazz experience. We only recognized a few names on the lineup. But every single artist was superb.

Did not realize how amazing David Foster is, along with his lovely wife, Katherine McPhee. We had Gregory Porter, Take 6, Eric Marienthal, Randy Brecker, Samara Joy, Wycliffe Gordon and, of course, Chris Botti. All names we recognized. However, the artists we didn’t recognize turned out to be exceptional. They now have new fans!! We discovered we love music from John Splithoff, Sy Smith and Keb’ Mo’.  Then there was this truly inspiring violinist named Caroline Campbell. Her music broke your heart, it was so beautiful. The supporting musicians were so talented in their own right. 
Probably the most enjoyable part of the whole experience was the fact that all the artists were, not only extremely approachable but extremely accessible. They were at the pool, the buffets, eating in the restaurants, right along with everyone else. Met so many of the them just riding on the elevator. Everyone, including, our host, Chris Botti, was so willing to talk as well as take as many pictures with you as you wanted. The quality of the music was so incredibly high.
It was a spectacular event and we can’t wait to do it again. We do feel we’re spoiled now. We’ve been on many cruises and have felt several times that the entertainment was “the best we ever had”. WELL, I think 🤔 maybe we were wrong and, quite frankly, hope we can still enjoy the shows as in the past. After all, I’m sure those folks work very hard as well. BUT it’s gonna be hard🎭

Can’t say enough about Jazz Cruises and their Staff….so professional and yet friendly. It was an outstanding experience for our 1st!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SpicyP said:

Oh My Goodness, this was an absolutely life-changing experience!! We just got off the Summit this morning. The music was mind blowing. Chris Botti is…I’m not sure I have words. The quality of the musical talent was excellent. Full Disclosure: We were not extensively familiar with all of Chris Botti’s stuff but really wanted the Jazz experience. We only recognized a few names on the lineup. But every single artist was superb.

Did not realize how amazing David Foster is, along with his lovely wife, Katherine McPhee. We had Gregory Porter, Take 6, Eric Marienthal, Randy Brecker, Samara Joy, Wycliffe Gordon and, of course, Chris Botti. All names we recognized. However, the artists we didn’t recognize turned out to be exceptional. They now have new fans!! We discovered we love music from John Splithoff, Sy Smith and Keb’ Mo’.  Then there was this truly inspiring violinist named Caroline Campbell. Her music broke your heart, it was so beautiful. The supporting musicians were so talented in their own right. 
Probably the most enjoyable part of the whole experience was the fact that all the artists were, not only extremely approachable but extremely accessible. They were at the pool, the buffets, eating in the restaurants, right along with everyone else. Met so many of the them just riding on the elevator. Everyone, including, our host, Chris Botti, was so willing to talk as well as take as many pictures with you as you wanted. The quality of the music was so incredibly high.
It was a spectacular event and we can’t wait to do it again. We do feel we’re spoiled now. We’ve been on many cruises and have felt several times that the entertainment was “the best we ever had”. WELL, I think 🤔 maybe we were wrong and, quite frankly, hope we can still enjoy the shows as in the past. After all, I’m sure those folks work very hard as well. BUT it’s gonna be hard🎭

Can’t say enough about Jazz Cruises and their Staff….so professional and yet friendly. It was an outstanding experience for our 1st!!

We have same opinion of Chris Botti as you do , he is amazing , during one show he got off the stage in Dallas and did a solo about 5 feet from our seats , it was magical. We need to try one of his cruises.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 1:33 PM, NinS said:

While our Botti At Sea friends are enjoying their cruise I noticed that Boz Scaggs was removed from the 2025 lineup, while David Foster with Katherine McPhee were added for a return engagement. 

Shame Boz Scaggs was removed we saw him on a 70’s music cruise and also in Dallas last year he was great , although I would also love to see Katherine McPhee .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, George C said:

We have same opinion of Chris Botti as you do , he is amazing , during one show he got off the stage in Dallas and did a solo about 5 feet from our seats , it was magical. We need to try one of his cruises.

You must!! You must!! He did the same kind of thing for us as well. He came up one side of the aisle and the violinist, Caroline Campbell, came up the other aisle and they both played. It was fantastic!!

7 hours ago, George C said:

Shame Boz Scaggs was removed we saw him on a 70’s music cruise and also in Dallas last year he was great , although I would also love to see Katherine McPhee .

We enjoyed Katherine McPhee a great deal and the interaction between her and the husband was special. What I truly appreciated about David Foster was that I came to realize how much involvement he had with the artists and songs I love.

• Like 1

I see that those who have been asking for a West Coast cruise are getting their wish! On a one-week repo in September 2025, Vancouver to Los Angeles. It looks like the currently-published itinerary for that week may be being modified to cancel Astoria.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

I see that those who have been asking for a West Coast cruise are getting their wish! On a one-week repo in September 2025, Vancouver to Los Angeles. It looks like the currently-published itinerary for that week may be being modified to cancel Astoria.

Thanks for sharing this.  I also saw it.  There's a possible arbitrage opportunity here.  Since the itinerary is currently bookable on Celebrity, one could put a deposit on a cabin and wait for the inevitable cancellation.  They have to refund the money paid in (I can't see any way they would let those who already booked stay with the charter), but they might sweeten the deal with future cruise credit and/or some OBC.  It's interesting to see what happens with this.

Celebrity-Summit-repo-Sep-2025.thumb.jpg.d0fb4d79d896cb3ff3cff82eb3f47c83.jpg

BTW, details are scheduled to be announced for this cruise on March 15 - including the full itinerary and some performers.

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Globaliser said:

WAHOO -- March 15th can't get here fast enough!!

• Like 1

Sound like the "Journey of Jazz" may be a whole cruise built around Marcus Miller's 'History of Jazz' concept. Those have always been my favorite shows, on the SJC's (and Blue Note)! HaHa -- but, they had me at 'West Coast sailing' anyway! 😎🎶

• Like 2

From Mr. Lazaroff's latest newsletter:

• Both Smooth Jazz Cruises for next year remain wait list only
  • TJC 25 is over 77% reserved
  • Botti at Sea 25 will be over 50% booked
  • McDonald LaBelle is down to 70 interior cabins remaining
  • MLC will have a webinar on Thursday, February 29, at 3 PM EST.  I'd like to attend, but I'll be on another cruise then. ☹️
  • A few more details were released about the Journey of Jazz cruise:

Journey-Of-Jazz-2025.jpg.3507e399d3d7fce8f6677643af85c260.jpg

HB, that webinar will get archived on YouTube. And based on prior webinars the vast majority of the information is geared towards people who have either never cruised or have never been on a music charter. That makes sense, but it also means that what you'd learn would be pretty limited. I watched the archives of TJC webinars with my finger on the fast forward button as I didn't have to hear about luggage tags and specialty dining options.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NinS said:

HB, that webinar will get archived on YouTube. And based on prior webinars the vast majority of the information is geared towards people who have either never cruised or have never been on a music charter. That makes sense, but it also means that what you'd learn would be pretty limited. I watched the archives of TJC webinars with my finger on the fast forward button as I didn't have to hear about luggage tags and specialty dining options.

Thank you.  You're right about everything, of course.  I'll find a window for it eventually, just not sure when.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

According to the latest Jazz Cruises newsletter I just received, the Journey of Jazz Cruise will have its details announced on or about March 22.

So they've rolled it back a week, then?🫤

On 3/7/2024 at 2:44 PM, Honolulu Blue said:

Yes they did. Let's see if they keep this date. 🙏

My DH and I were speculating about possible reasons for the delay in the announcement. Guessing that Mr.Lazaroff is still putting the finishing touches on the line-up?

1 hour ago, wwcruisers said:

My DH and I were speculating about possible reasons for the delay in the announcement. Guessing that Mr.Lazaroff is still putting the finishing touches on the line-up?

Your guesses seem to be as good as anyone else's, though I must confess that my interest in when and why weakens by the day.

On 3/15/2024 at 7:29 PM, wwcruisers said:

Ughh... Now it's 'to be announced', instead of the 29th. 🫤

They actually announced it yesterday by e-mail; the Web site is live now.  Here's the initial performer list.  I apologize for the font; they didn't ask me which I preferred:

journey-jazz.jpg.54ce290841eced08523e45fbf0aedb82.jpg

...and here's the itinerary.  I think it's very interesting.  It's a repositioning cruise, which I haven't seen any charters use.  The stop in Victoria is very long, and of course there's that San Francisco overnight.

JJ-2025-itinerary.thumb.jpg.509dd6b509931fbf4d1e27d7e6d8c79d.jpg

It sounds like fun for those who are interested.  I was offered the chance to sign up for the pre-sale to beat the peasants in line for cabins on the ship.  I think I'll decline the opportunity.  One reason is that a quick calculation of the cost for a single cabin on this voyage is $4625, which would be the most I'd ever paid for any cruise ever, and not by a little bit.

There may be some more discussion of the cruise in the newsletter today, so be sure to look out for that.

Thanks for posting that, HB! We tried to sign-up yesterday, but their pre-sale webpage was experiencing technical difficulties.Will go old-school tomorrow morning, and use the telephone! 🤭

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and after reading Mr.Lazaroff's Weekender (yesterday) description of the cruise, it sounds like there will be plenty of chances to spend lots of $$ on shore excursions/activities, as well.🤑 But, it still sounds like a bargain, compared to trying to see all of those performers in traditional land-based venues. (Well, that's what I'll keep telling myself, anyway!😆)

• Like 2

Like @wwcruisers I've entered the pre-sale. It'll be fun to do a non-Caribbean cruise for the first time, and I love the lineup. One thing I noticed from looking at the fine print (on the excursion page) is that Ron Carter, a major jazz legend who is prominently advertised, will be performing at the land-based venue SFJAZZ, which makes one think he won't be sailing (I've never heard of him being on a jazz cruise and it can't be because he's never been invited). It isn't yet clear if that show and the transportation will cost extra  -- I'd be quite disappointed if that were the case.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NinS said:

Like @wwcruisers I've entered the pre-sale. It'll be fun to do a non-Caribbean cruise for the first time, and I love the lineup. One thing I noticed from looking at the fine print (on the excursion page) is that Ron Carter, a major jazz legend who is prominently advertised, will be performing at the land-based venue SFJAZZ, which makes one think he won't be sailing (I've never heard of him being on a jazz cruise and it can't be because he's never been invited). It isn't yet clear if that show and the transportation will cost extra  -- I'd be quite disappointed if that were the case.

Thanks for your comments as always, @NinS.

On your last sentence, perhaps I can give some guidance.  I was on a different music charter cruise last year hosted by a different company.  We stopped at Key West and had a key performer do a land concert there.  The concert location was about a mile from where we docked.  We were offered free shuttles to the concert and back, though these were not required.  The show didn't cost anything extra and we had our own section (the concert was available to the public, and they were seated separate from us).

My guess is, if you're on this cruise, you'll be able to attend Mr. Carter's concert for free.  I hope they provide ways to get there for free, because cabin prices for this cruise are expensive enough, IMHO. 🤑

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 1

Today's email includes:

"Jazz Cruises is creating a series of special excursions for the full day in Victoria and the nearly two full days in San Francisco.

Sightseeing and music in Victoria. Wine journeys in Sonoma and Napa, including our chartering of the Napa Valley Wine Train. Special matinee shows at SFJAZZ Center, one of “jazz’s” most revered venues, and restaurant tours conducted by Michael Bauer, former food critic of the San Francisco Chronicle, are also available.

Jazz Cruises is pricing the excursions “at cost”, with our participation included as our “gift” to you.
"

Not sure what this means for the Ron Carter gig, but maybe it's just that you'll have to pay for the shuttle!

• Like 2

I'm likewise going to call tomorrow and get my presale cabin, @wwcruisers. As for the Ron Carter question, I emailed and got a prompt reply confirming that Ron won't be sailing and that his excursion show will indeed be subject to an additional (unspecified) cost. I don't think it's great advertising, but regardless it's a terrific lineup and I'm excited for my first non-Caribbean cruise.

• Like 1