TV Input

Qld13

Good Morning

I know using the HDMI socket on the TV's has been discussed but since last year has a fix been found to enable one to use the spare HDMI or USB ports on the TV's and have the ability to change the TV input? I carry an external hard drive with movies on and to load my photos on to which can either be plugged directly into the USB on the TV or I can plug it into my MacBook and link the MacBook to the TV with a HDMI lead. Both ways will enable me to use the hard drive but the weak point is the ability to change the TV input. I have all that I require as I use this method quite often but don't have a remote control. What are the chances of SB computer dept having a remote control that I could use to change the input? Are you able to change the input directly on the TV using the buttons on the unit?

We will be on both Odyssey and Encore next month so input on both ships would be appreciated.

Thank you

My first SB cruise is next month and I think we are on the same cruise.  Trying to approach this issue from another direction, if you know or can determine the brand of tv in the cabin, you might be able to download the associated app for your smart phone and have the control you need.

They don’t allow it claiming it’s a security issue if your TV isn’t on the normal channels with direct access to the safety videos and announcements channel. Far fetched in my opinion. When we were in a Signature Suite and got all the special attention that comes with it, we complained to the Hotel Director, who immediately brought us the special remote control you need to switch over. So it is possible and they do know how to enable it for you... 

Floris 

We have had the same problem on Princess and Holland America.  We carry a universal remote control with us.  They can be found on Amazon for $8.95.  The model we use is the GE universal remote, model number 33709.  Be sure to take the instructions with you so you can configure it for the tv in your room.  This way you will not have to interact with the HD. 

• 2 months later...

I can now confirm that Odyssey has new LG tvs after dry dock in May. You cannot use a universal remote as the Seabourn system will not allow inputs to be changed, this was confirmed by their TV engineer. Encore is a different matter, Samsung TVs on here and the supplied remote allows you to change input. I tested my MacBook with an external hard drive connected and was able to use iTunes to view shows. That said I never had the time to do this as there was too much going on, we had a couple  of nights 'in' and watched the movies Seabourn supplied, only connected MB to see if it worked. Hope this helps

On 8/25/2019 at 11:18 PM, Qld13 said:

I can now confirm that Odyssey has new LG tvs after dry dock in May. You cannot use a universal remote as the Seabourn system will not allow inputs to be changed, this was confirmed by their TV engineer. Encore is a different matter, Samsung TVs on here and the supplied remote allows you to change input. 

The option to change the TVs input has been locked out for as long as I’ve been sailing on the Triplets.  Didn’t try it on my Encore cruise.