Honolulu Airport

patrinka

Just got back from Hawaii. we were In line to check our bags when we were told we had to get out of line and go to the Ag scan first. Make sure you look for that before anything! And surprisingly, the airport was quiet busy!

2 hours ago, boontj2003 said:

Just got back from Hawaii. we were In line to check our bags when we were told we had to get out of line and go to the Ag scan first. Make sure you look for that before anything! And surprisingly, the airport was quiet busy!

That is the policy. There are usually signs to that effect, and the Ag check for your checked bags is usually just as you come in the door, before you get to airline check in.

On 6/30/2019 at 8:22 AM, boontj2003 said:

Good to know, thank you for that information

• Like 1

When you are checking bags from Hawaii back to the mainland you need to have an agricultural inspection (ag check).  Any bags you are checking will be put through an Xray scan to check for agricultural products.  This is done before you check in with your bags and they will put a sticker on your bag so the airline personnel know your bags have been checked.  If you are just taking carry on bags then your bags will be checked prior to going to your gate.  I think this is sometimes done at TSA but is often done just before going to your terminal.  Example, if flying from Hilo to Los Angeles and changing planes in Honolulu there is a carry on bag check before changing terminals.  The Ag check is very easy, very fast, and you just have to remember that you cannot take fruits and/or plants from Hawaii back to the mainland.  You will see the Ag check stations as you enter your departure terminal.  When traveling interisland there are not the same restrictions.  Hope this helps.  Cherie

Edited by cccole
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Never heard of TSA doing Ag checks. It's a state function, not federal government, like TSA.

I understand but I remember doing the carry on checks when transferring terminals in HNL or OGG or when going through the initial TSA check.  At KOA if you are not checking a bag there is just the one TSA checkpoint prior to the waiting area.    As long as you don't have ag products in your carry-on it really doesn't matter.  It is such an easy process as long as the ag sticker is on your checked bags before final check in for your flight.   I am always sad that I cannot bring tropical flowers home.  Cherie

So as to not start a new thread with this one so recent, if we have a 6:30 pm Saturday flight in November, are we ok leaving the Waikiki area around 3:00 pm?  Just want to make sure my family isn't rushed--there will be 4 of us with checked luggage, 2 of which are 70-somethings.  I don't think we will rent a car for the day, we'll just Uber to the airport.