Pan Pacific Hotel Vancouver?

lisagro

On 7/3/2019 at 7:08 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Question:  have you dined in the Oceans 999?  Breakfast, lunch, or dinner?

There was on time when we did not stay in the Club section. We had the breakfast buffet in the restaurant. It was good - lots of smoked salmon as well as everything else that is usually found on hotel breakfast buffets.

2 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

There was on time when we did not stay in the Club section. We had the breakfast buffet in the restaurant. It was good - lots of smoked salmon as well as everything else that is usually found on hotel breakfast buffets.

My question really was more related to lunch or dinner.  Looks like we'll arrive at Pan Pacific around 1800.  We won't be leaving to board until around 1330 the next day.  I'm sure  we'll hit the breakfast buffet at Oceans since it's included in the Cruise Package.   That leaves dinner the night before the cruise and lunch before boarding.  Not really interested in going anywhere for dinner since that will be the end of a long day.   So what about Oceans for lunch and dinner?

On 7/4/2019 at 6:46 PM, david,Mississauga said:

Yes, I accompanied my wife. It is a good thing I can walk quickly because it was a fairly long route and the chap pushing the wheelchair moved quickly.

Thank you David! This is very helpful! 

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

My question really was more related to lunch or dinner.  Looks like we'll arrive at Pan Pacific around 1800.  We won't be leaving to board until around 1330 the next day.  I'm sure  we'll hit the breakfast buffet at Oceans since it's included in the Cruise Package.   That leaves dinner the night before the cruise and lunch before boarding.  Not really interested in going anywhere for dinner since that will be the end of a long day.   So what about Oceans for lunch and dinner?

There is a bar - restaurant to the left of oceans, same floor, casual, looks like part of the same menu.

I ate there but part of that was driven by I was there the night before Mothers day and Mothers day.

they were setting up the for mothers day brunch the night before and then same for dinner that night so I ate in the bar / restaurant both nights. Food was fine, nice and relaxes, good view of the bay. Good music around 9 pm.

I am curious. Everyone says that if you let the Pan Pacific bellman take your suitcases, they will be in your cabin when you arrive. Don't they just go with all the rest of the luggage, or are they somehow "special" and get to your cabin directly?

WE are going in May 2020 and Pan Pacific is booked for the day we needed.  Any other tips of hotels.  Someone recommended Ramada Limited On West Pender Street, Any input.  We need help. Thanks  

13 hours ago, lisagro said:

I am curious. Everyone says that if you let the Pan Pacific bellman take your suitcases, they will be in your cabin when you arrive. Don't they just go with all the rest of the luggage, or are they somehow "special" and get to your cabin directly?

The bellman takes your luggage from your room and the next time you see them is in your cabin.  What happens is that he takes them to the luggage loading area for your ship and the ship (or pier) crew take them from there.

9 hours ago, irismike said:

WE are going in May 2020 and Pan Pacific is booked for the day we needed.  Any other tips of hotels.  Someone recommended Ramada Limited On West Pender Street, Any input.  We need help. Thanks  

We have stayed at both the Fairmont right across the street (they will take your luggage right to the ship for you by the way) and a nearby Hyatt (walkable - about 4-5 short blocks).  Also Marriott Pinnacle, also 4-5 block downhill walk).  All are very nice hotels, but a bit expensive.

A less expensive option is to stay out by the airport - lots of options there - at about half the price.  We stayed at the Marriott there and caught the Skytrain in the next morning (about 4-5 block walk though).

15 hours ago, irismike said:

What is your budget? What is important to you?

On 7/5/2019 at 6:20 AM, lx200gps said:

Apologies for the minor hijack, but are the two Fairmonts and the Pan Pacific the only hotels near CP that offer the excellent "Hotel room to ship cabin" luggage transfer service? Thanks.

I think this is the only outstanding question on the thread - and yes, to the best of my knowledge these three hotels are the only 'bags taken from room' service, however any of the boutique hotels with a town car will drive you and your luggage to the pier for no charge (check hotel websites, usually on 'amenities' page, to confirm) as will the Hampton Inn's minibus (but this is shared, rather than private).

17 hours ago, martincath said:

I think this is the only outstanding question on the thread - and yes, to the best of my knowledge these three hotels are the only 'bags taken from room' service, however any of the boutique hotels with a town car will drive you and your luggage to the pier for no charge (check hotel websites, usually on 'amenities' page, to confirm) as will the Hampton Inn's minibus (but this is shared, rather than private).

Thanks for the advice. Staying in Downtown will be a change for us, as we usually stay in NorthVan, Whistler or YVR. Any of these three hotels are a great bet, but one of my  credit cards confers unusually good perks/upgrades at the Shangri-la, only a kilometer from CP. Seems like a good bet as well. This is a September 2020 trip, so there's a lot of time to decide. ;o)

3 hours ago, lx200gps said:

... one of my  credit cards confers unusually good perks/upgrades at the Shangri-la, only a kilometer from CP. ...

Absolutely - good, central, downtown location with a very solid resto on-site in Market. Also one of only two 5* rated hotels in Vancouver (the other is the Pacific Rim, which has held that for 2 years now whereas S-L has had it every year since they opened...)

Really the only downside is that even the highest hotel floor (15th) is still just in the bottom third of the tower so they don't really have great views with the many other tall buildings between them and the water. I've heard a few folks express disappointment due to their assumption that the hotel is on top rather than at the bottom, or at least has a rooftop resto/viewing gallery (it has neither, and to be fair their own website clearly indicates the hotel is on ground-to-fifteen).

On 7/7/2019 at 11:04 PM, irismike said:

Don't be put off by the Pan Pacific - or any hotel - being sold out 10 months in advance. You can keep checking and there is a good chance rooms will become available. A friend recently decided to join our group for the November train trip. At the time he made that decision the Pan Pacific was showing as sold out but a week later there were rooms available at a reasonable rate.

I was told they have restaurants underground of the Pan Pacific.  Is this true and if yes, which restaurants.   Have you used their luggage service to the pier and did it work out? Thanks.  

1 hour ago, irismike said:

I was told they have restaurants underground of the Pan Pacific.  Is this true and if yes, which restaurants.   Have you used their luggage service to the pier and did it work out? Thanks.  

I've yet to hear of anyone saying anything other than "Bell staff collected our bags and they made it to the ship" on that front; the underground restos mentioned are basically a mall food court - while there are quite a few different types of food it's all very, very casual fast food rather than a sitdown resto (one exception - Rogue, a small local chain of bars, leases part of Waterfront Station  but it's not underground and it's also easier to just walk across the street to their closer Convention Centre branch if you like the sound of their menu).

Full list of the mall options here (NB: the ones that say they are inside Waterfront Station also connect underground - it's just a few minutes extra walking through the tunnels).

23 hours ago, irismike said:

Have you used their luggage service to the pier and did it work out? Thanks.  

it works fine, you need to call the bell desk before 11 am and tell them you want your luggage to go to a ship. Put the ship luggage tags on like you would if you were giving to a porter or if you don't have them the bellman brings them. Show them a copy of your sail pass and its just like giving them to a porter at a port except the bellmen move the bags to the point where the longshoremen take it to customs and onto the ship. The next time you see them is in your stateroom. Easy peasey.

• Like 1