Bringing Food on Board

AK Dreaming

I see people saying they bring candy and gifts for crew members and that made me think I could bring my protein bars or snacks for my cabin.  I'm Platinum and did not realize we could bring food?  Years ago, when we first started cruising on NCL my husband had a bag of  nuts taken from his carry-on bag they were sealed.  I just checked the website and it says no unsealed food?  So was looking for confirmation that I can bring protein bars.  I know there is tons of food on board, but I like to have one when I first wake up.

6 minutes ago, AK Dreaming said:

I see people saying they bring candy and gifts for crew members and that made me think I could bring my protein bars or snacks for my cabin.  I'm Platinum and did not realize we could bring food?  Years ago, when we first started cruising on NCL my husband had a bag of  nuts taken from his carry-on bag they were sealed.  I just checked the website and it says no unsealed food?  So was looking for confirmation that I can bring protein bars.  I know there is tons of food on board, but I like to have one when I first wake up.

Yes, you can bring sealed foods like protein bards. Maybe keep the protein bars in the original unopened box and put it in your checked baggage, as those are less likely to get taken. Weird how the sealed nuts were removed, maybe something to do with nut allergies. 

22 minutes ago, AK Dreaming said:

I brought a whole box of my sugar free breakfast bars on our last cruise.  No issues whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...

Resurrecting this one - can anyone chime in with additional color commentary?

I will be hiking for a week before my Alaskan cruise on Norwegian. I'm bringing larger bags of nuts, moon cheese, peanut butter pretzels to refill the small ziplocs I'll carry while hiking.

How strict will NCL be about me having some leftover snacks that I'd like to use as hiking snacks during my excursions and port visits? (all in AK and everything I'm bringing is also allowed into Canada) I plan to carry on my suitcases. An open 1-pound bag of nuts would probably get stopped, right? How about small ziplocs of snacks in the pockets of my hiking pants or in my backpack? If they find food will they then tear my bag apart to get it all?

And while I have ya...I want to fly home with a 12-pack of cans of Alaskan kolsch. I know I have to check it into security until I disembark. But it sounds like I'd have to buy it in a port, right? I can't check it in when I embark?

Thank you!

We checked into and off of the ship with open bags of nuts, cheese, bars and apples in our backpacks with no problems.  We also brought candy from ports back onto the ship in our jacket pockets with no issues in May. 

6 hours ago, riverhikerva said:

Resurrecting this one - can anyone chime in with additional color commentary?

I will be hiking for a week before my Alaskan cruise on Norwegian. I'm bringing larger bags of nuts, moon cheese, peanut butter pretzels to refill the small ziplocs I'll carry while hiking.

How strict will NCL be about me having some leftover snacks that I'd like to use as hiking snacks during my excursions and port visits? (all in AK and everything I'm bringing is also allowed into Canada) I plan to carry on my suitcases. An open 1-pound bag of nuts would probably get stopped, right? How about small ziplocs of snacks in the pockets of my hiking pants or in my backpack? If they find food will they then tear my bag apart to get it all?

And while I have ya...I want to fly home with a 12-pack of cans of Alaskan kolsch. I know I have to check it into security until I disembark. But it sounds like I'd have to buy it in a port, right? I can't check it in when I embark?

Thank you!

The Freestyle Daily says no taking food or drinks off the ship. Having said that, no one checked anything leaving the ship and coming back on board I think they were just checking for bottles of liquids. We brought back cookies and popcorn - lol. 😂 

0FB5398B-6B71-4B78-8509-09DAEBEB4BD5.jpeg

My son brought a 5lb bag of gummy bears.  Although we didn't have any problems with taking them on-board ...... It was sooooo funny ............. my son got stuck every time bags were checked .......... none of the bag checkers could figure out what it was.  It almost caused problems making a flight (which wasn't really funny).  But watching him have to open his bag and then have the representative go through his stuff because he had to bring gummy bears on a cruise............ It was funny and  I'm glad it happened because it makes for a funny memory.

On 7/12/2019 at 3:21 AM, Jen731 said:

The Freestyle Daily says no taking food or drinks off the ship. Having said that, no one checked anything leaving the ship and coming back on board I think they were just checking for bottles of liquids. We brought back cookies and popcorn - lol. 😂 

0FB5398B-6B71-4B78-8509-09DAEBEB4BD5.jpeg

They use this "law" claim a lot even when it's not true.  I saw one poor guy who has purchased a nice box of donuts in a Canadian port last year and they were confiscated from him when he got back on the ship.  There is no such law in Canada except as pertains to fresh produce and meat and that is bringing it into the country.  After that we all just thoroughly hid any food we purchased in towns deep in our backpacks coming back on board.