Cruise cash vs. Carnival Gift Card

VelmaS

Please help. Cruising MardiGras 9/2020. Spoke with 2 different CS reps and got 2 different answers. Can I use a Gift Card on the ship for incidentals, drinks, specialty coffee etc or no. The Fun Shop CSR said I could. Carnival CSR said I could not. Anyone??? Thank you in advance. 

You can take it aboard and have it applied to your Sign & Sail account at either GS or one of the automated kiosks.  You cannot use it in individual shops or at a bar.

For even more convenience (and to avoid lines), you could use them to purchase Cruise Cash prior to your cruise, and it will be waiting on your S&S account when you board.

Edited by mdsgu
  • Like 1

Hi Velma, Mary from the roll call. 

Just be careful about purchasing too much value in gift cards or in Cruise Cash. Cruise Cash is non-refundable and Gift Card funding is refundable but only as a new gift card. Also there are 2 different types of Carnival gift certificates, one is an all use gift card or e-card usually sold through the Carnival direct website, in person at certain grocery stores, and through discount purchase programs like AARP Rewards for Good and AllState Drivewise. Then there is the other one which is actually a booking certificate usually available as an exchange in its entirety for points from credit card bonus programs. The first  type can be used for almost any Carnival related payment or purchase made pre-cruise and to fund your on board account once on the ship.The latter is only good for the initial booking and through the CS # listed in the offer's TOU.

With the cruise over a year away you may want to look to see if your bank offers a no fee escrow style savings account like a Christmas Club but for planned large purchases or vacations.  Unlike a traditional Christmas Club these allow you to pick your payout date (my suggestion would be 3 months and 1 week before the cruise), but like the CC makes you adhere to small incremental deposit schedule. If you can get one with its own separate debit card all the better,  because if you decide to put that card on file for your on board account (as primary or as back-up) no worries about holds messing up your checking account.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, maryred said:

Hi Velma, Mary from the roll call. 

With the cruise over a year away you may want to look to see if your bank offers a no fee escrow style savings account like a Christmas Club but for planned large purchases or vacations.  Unlike a traditional Christmas Club these allow you to pick your payout date (my suggestion would be 3 months and 1 week before the cruise), but like the CC makes you adhere to small incremental deposit schedule. If you can get one with its own separate debit card all the better,  because if you decide to put that card on file for your on board account (as primary or as back-up) no worries about holds messing up your checking account.

Got it.  Going to check out my bank Monday morning. Great idea. Tyyyyy

Edited by VelmaS

9 minutes ago, VelmaS said:

9 minutes ago, VelmaS said:

The first  type can be used for almost any Carnival related payment or purchase made pre-cruise and to fund your on board account once on the ship.The latter is only good for the initial booking and through the CS # listed in the offer's TOU.

So if we received gift cards for our cruise, we can then use those to pay for our wifi in the FunShop for example? Or water delivered to our room for when we get there? 

On 6/28/2019 at 6:45 PM, VelmaS said:

So if we received gift cards for our cruise, we can then use those to pay for our wifi in the FunShop for example? Or water delivered to our room for when we get there? 

Carnival gift cards can be used to pay for the cruise, make purchases through the online FunShops, prepay for excursions, secure spa appointments, and/or to fund your on board account. A gift card need not be used in its entirety in a single transaction, as the remaining balance will remain attached to the card number after any purchase that uses only part of the value. ALso if a purchase online exceeds the GC amount you will be prompted to add another GC or credit/debit card info to complete the transaction.

• Like 1

Along these lines I have a question (I came on tonight to ask and found this thread via search).
My credit card rewards program allows us to redeem points for Carnival gift cards.  I requested and received $600 worth and had my TA apply it to my balance just before our PIF date.

Now another card has matured and I have another $550 available in rewards dollars.  Bottomless bubbles for my family of 8 will come to $320.  I was trying to see what would be the best way for me to use some of those reward dollars towards the drinks packages.  Should I get $300 in cards and then have them loaded to my account?  Should I then buy the Bottomless bubbles before embarking, or should I wait until I get there?  Should I get $300 in cards and bring them with me?

Thank you.

Personally I would review the credit card's point redemption vs points applied to the billing. For the most part on many of our cards that allow for points, miles, or "cashback" to applied as a billing credit after a certain point value the ratio to do so is more favorable than getting a check, gift cards, merchandise, or on board perks.

Just as an example the number of points needed for $700 in GCs (2*$100 + 1*$500) would get me $750 in account (billing) credits. Plus the new purchase of goods or services for on board goes to building my points back up.

13 hours ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

Along these lines I have a question (I came on tonight to ask and found this thread via search).
My credit card rewards program allows us to redeem points for Carnival gift cards.  I requested and received $600 worth and had my TA apply it to my balance just before our PIF date.

Now another card has matured and I have another $550 available in rewards dollars.  Bottomless bubbles for my family of 8 will come to $320.  I was trying to see what would be the best way for me to use some of those reward dollars towards the drinks packages.  Should I get $300 in cards and then have them loaded to my account?  Should I then buy the Bottomless bubbles before embarking, or should I wait until I get there?  Should I get $300 in cards and bring them with me?

Thank you.

If I were you, I'd buy bubbles before you go. You can do that with your rewards, or claim the rewards as a statement credit and just pay for bubbles.  But doing it ahead of time will mean you can start using it immediately and not deal with 1 more line when you get onboard.

On 6/28/2019 at 6:45 PM, VelmaS said:

I used GCs I received at a discount from AARP Rewards for Good or Allstate Rewards to pre-pay for Wi-fi  and water before getting on the ship.  The wi-fi is discounted if you order before on ship.

• Like 1