Princess Cruise Alaska Question

MickeyG

Greetings!

My wife and I are considering taking an Alaska cruise in 2020. We have been on eight cruises but never a Princess ship, and never to Alaska. We are looking at the Denali land tour followed by the seven day cruise next August on either the Grand Princess or Royal Princess. I'm about to ask what may seem to be a dumb question....is the price of the land portion (4 day) included in the price listed on their website? I'm not sure if there is a separate charge (lodging, train, tour and food) that is not listed in the price. If anyone has sailed on either of these two ships to Alaska and have done the 3 or 4 day Denali Land Tour, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance....Mick

When you buy a cruisetour, the price includes the cost of both the cruise and the land tour.  Unless you choose a Connoisseur tour, you'll need to buy your own food while on the land part of the tour.

We've been on both ships and they are both nice.  The Royal is newer with fewer areas to be outside and smaller balconies but the inside amenities are great.  The Grand is older but has bigger balconies and a nice Promenade deck.  I don't think you can go wrong with either. 

Edited to add:  Make sure you are in Denali two days so that you can take the Tundra Wilderness or Kantishna tour into Denali National Park.  You may need to upgrade to one of these tours depending on the cruisetour you select/

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

When you buy a cruisetour, the price includes the cost of both the cruise and the land tour.  Unless you choose a Connoisseur tour, you'll need to buy your own food while on the land part of the tour.

We've been on both ships and they are both nice.  The Royal is newer with fewer areas to be outside and smaller balconies but the inside amenities are great.  The Grand is older but has bigger balconies and a nice Promenade deck.  I don't think you can go wrong with either. 

Edited to add:  Make sure you are in Denali two days so that you can take the Tundra Wilderness or Kantishna tour into Denali National Park.  You may need to upgrade to one of these tours depending on the cruisetour you select/

And do that as soon as you can as the Tundra Wilderness tour fills up quickly.

Also - Royal Princess is not sailing some of the more scenic areas in Alaska due to her size. This would be the last ship I would choose for Alaska. Plus, lack of outdoor viewing areas.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1