Boston buses

pennine

The transfer at South Station from the Silver Line bus to the Red Line direction Alewife is free.

Are you planning to walk all the way out to see the Constitution?  If you’re not planning to walk all the way back, I can make other suggestions.  Usually what I recommend is to take a cab first to the Constitution.  The museum opens at 9 am and the ship at 10.  This will get you through the museum and ship before any crowds.  Then take the MBTA water taxi (on mbta.com) to Long Wharf (short mini cruise through the upper harbor) and walk through the Christopher Columbus park to the North End to pick up the Freedom Trail again.  Walk the trail backwards to the Boston Common where you can pick up the Red Line at Park St to take any Braintree/Ashmont train to South Station for the free transfer to the SL2 Silverline Bus.

There is nothing sacred about the Freedom Trail in and of itself.  Basically it’s a marked walking route through the old streets of Boston that enables tourists to find all the historic sites that are located among the more modern buildings and could easily be missed.  IMO the section of the trail between the North End and the Constitution is unappealing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2019 at 11:31 AM, pennine said:

We are in Boston for 12 hours, and planning to use the bus and metro to park st, and do the Freedom trail.

As I from the UK will I be able to use cash on the bus and Metro.

Thanks.

Yes, but Dollars not pounds.  

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2019 at 10:11 AM, 138east said:

The transfer at South Station from the Silver Line bus to the Red Line direction Alewife is free.

Are you planning to walk all the way out to see the Constitution?  If you’re not planning to walk all the way back, I can make other suggestions.  Usually what I recommend is to take a cab first to the Constitution.  The museum opens at 9 am and the ship at 10.  This will get you through the museum and ship before any crowds.  Then take the MBTA water taxi (on mbta.com) to Long Wharf (short mini cruise through the upper harbor) and walk through the Christopher Columbus park to the North End to pick up the Freedom Trail again.  Walk the trail backwards to the Boston Common where you can pick up the Red Line at Park St to take any Braintree/Ashmont train to South Station for the free transfer to the SL2 Silverline Bus.

There is nothing sacred about the Freedom Trail in and of itself.  Basically it’s a marked walking route through the old streets of Boston that enables tourists to find all the historic sites that are located among the more modern buildings and could easily be missed.  IMO the section of the trail between the North End and the Constitution is unappealing.

This is very helpful for me as we want to go to the Constitution Museum (we toured the ship on our last visit to Boston, but didn’t have time for the Museum).  We walked out there from the Quincy Market last time, but we don’t want to do it this time.  

Is it difficult to get a taxi at the port?  We would like to get out there as close to opening as possible. Our ship sails at 2pm, so I assume we will have to be back onboard by 1pm. We would like to take the water taxi back because our ship will have shuttles to the Quincy Market. 

We don’t use Uber but I have heard it’s better than cabs in Boston. We have heard other stories from friends about not getting picked up, and in NYC we took a cab and a colleague took Uber. We beat him and the cab was less money. 😁 But I’m considering it for this trip. 

We will be in Boston overnight and the first day my husband wants to tour Fenway Park. I thought we would take the shuttle to Quincy Market and I understand we can take the green line to the ball park from there. After the tour we want to go back to the Quincy Market. 

We’re in Boston one day early as well & we were able to snag tickets for the 5 Sept game. I have figured out that Fenway is right off the “T”. 

https://www.mlb.com/redsox/ballpark/transportation/subway

https://mbta.com/destinations/fenway-park

https://moovitapp.com/index/en/public_transit-Fenway_Park-Boston_MA-efsite_40eb3d00f964a520250a1fe3-141

hope that helps for Fenway - if you can get to Fenway from Quincy Market there should be a return there fron Fenway. 

My advice for the Green Line is to consider walking to the Haymarket Station from Quincy Market unless you want to climb all the steps up to the Government Center Station.  Between Quincy Market and Haymarket you can walk through the outdoor Holocaust Memorial.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 7:33 AM, Cyber Kat said:

This is very helpful for me as we want to go to the Constitution Museum (we toured the ship on our last visit to Boston, but didn’t have time for the Museum).  We walked out there from the Quincy Market last time, but we don’t want to do it this time.  

Is it difficult to get a taxi at the port?  We would like to get out there as close to opening as possible. Our ship sails at 2pm, so I assume we will have to be back onboard by 1pm. We would like to take the water taxi back because our ship will have shuttles to the Quincy Market. 

We don’t use Uber but I have heard it’s better than cabs in Boston. We have heard other stories from friends about not getting picked up, and in NYC we took a cab and a colleague took Uber. We beat him and the cab was less money. 😁 But I’m considering it for this trip. 

We will be in Boston overnight and the first day my husband wants to tour Fenway Park. I thought we would take the shuttle to Quincy Market and I understand we can take the green line to the ball park from there. After the tour we want to go back to the Quincy Market. 

Not sure why you want to pay for a shuttle to Quincy Market first when you’re going to Fenway Park.  The public transit fare is $2.90 regardless if you go from Black Falcon or Quincy Market.

The Silver Line has 2 stops on Black Falcon Ave by the pier.  Silver Line should be empty since this is the end of the Line.  Ride to South Station.  On the platform go to the right to the end of the platform following the signs for Red Line Direction Alewife and go down a flight of steps or take the elevator.  On the Red Line platform walk to the back end of the train, which will position you well for the transfer to the B, C, or D Green Line trolley at Park St, which is 2 quick stops from South Station.  As advised by others, get off at Kenmore.

When you get back to Quincy Market later, you can take an Uber or Lyft back to the port for less than you would have paid for the round trip shuttle for 2 people.

17 minutes ago, 138east said:

Not sure why you want to pay for a shuttle to Quincy Market first when you’re going to Fenway Park.  The public transit fare is $2.90 regardless if you go from Black Falcon or Quincy Market.

The Silver Line has 2 stops on Black Falcon Ave by the pier.  Silver Line should be empty since this is the end of the Line.  Ride to South Station.  On the platform go to the right to the end of the platform following the signs for Red Line Direction Alewife and go down a flight of steps or take the elevator.  On the Red Line platform walk to the back end of the train, which will position you well for the transfer to the B, C, or D Green Line trolley at Park St, which is 2 quick stops from South Station.  As advised by others, get off at Kenmore.

When you get back to Quincy Market later, you can take an Uber or Lyft back to the port for less than you would have paid for the round trip shuttle for 2 people.

We won't have to pay for the shuttle - Viking provides them.  And we don't want to have to change trains.  We just want a straigt run.

5 hours ago, Nitemare said:

And I suggest you exit at the Kenmore Square station for Fenway Park.  Do not aim for the Fenway Park station (further away) or the Fenway station (Commuter Rail train).

Thanks!  Is the Kenmore Sq station closer?