Luggage Forward,

esther e

I used them to ship luggage to a hotel, but now I'm going to have them ship it home from Europe.   I have a 7:30 tour and then airport drop-off.  I guess I'll be off the ship very early.  It's expensive to ship it, but I'm elderly and would have a lot of difficulty trying to get it from the carousel, so I'd rather just ship it.  I'm interested in any comments, good or bad, from your experiences.

If that is the same as luggage direct, it was very easy and made the trip home stress free. We live in the cold north and it was winter, so connections got too close for the luggage to make it to our home airport, but that wasn’t their fault. I would do it again in a heartbeat!  

This is NOT the same as Luggage Direct.  Luggage Forward collects your bags at the pier and ships them directly to your destination.  I'm not sure if this is the same for all European ports but I would be a bit concerned based on my experience in Amsterdam.  In the US Luggage Direct will be stationed just outside the place where you clear customs but most places in Europe do not do customs the same way.  I was told my porter would take me to the right person but not many people use the service and my porter had idea where to go.  The directions his supervisor gave him were pretty vague and we walked from station to station for about 20 minutes before we finally found the agent in a corner of the terminal.

I had a very diligent porter and he was very nice about it, but I think it could be very stressful if you have limited time to meet a tour.

Perhaps if you identify the port someone may have more information.

Roy

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

This is NOT the same as Luggage Direct.  Luggage Forward collects your bags at the pier and ships them directly to your destination.  I'm not sure if this is the same for all European ports but I would be a bit concerned based on my experience in Amsterdam.  In the US Luggage Direct will be stationed just outside the place where you clear customs but most places in Europe do not do customs the same way.  I was told my porter would take me to the right person but not many people use the service and my porter had idea where to go.  The directions his supervisor gave him were pretty vague and we walked from station to station for about 20 minutes before we finally found the agent in a corner of the terminal.

I had a very diligent porter and he was very nice about it, but I think it could be very stressful if you have limited time to meet a tour.

Perhaps if you identify the port someone may have more information.

Roy

Ironically, Amsterdam.  I'm flying into a small airport as my final destination, so I don't think I'd have a huge problem with getting the bag from the carousel, but not sure.  You put a whole new view on this for me.  I might just use Luggage Direct.  How does that work with customs, do you know?

I hope more points of view will join in but I think Luggage Direct is only available within the US and is not an option.  My feeling is that you would be better off sticking with Luggage Forward.  If you run into the situation I did you might miss your tour and need to take a taxi to the airport but that still sounds better than dealing with the bag yourself all the way home.  I think even if that happens you will come out ahead.

I suspect that when you arrive in the US you will need to retrieve the bags at the first carousel and take it through Customs and there may be limited help there.

Any other opinions?

Roy

Luggage Direct is not available in Europe. So, you will either need to manage your luggage yourself or use Luggage Forward.

There will be porters at disembarkation who could carry your bags to the tour bus, but then you will need to manage your bags by yourself when you get to Amsterdam airport.

Assistance is available at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, but must be booked in advance.  You do this through your airline (or travel agent, if using one.) https://www.schiphol.nl/en/page/assistance-for-departures-from-schiphol/

I am a single lady of a certain age that has used Luggage Forward for several cruises/trips abroad.  You will receive detailed instructions, plus they are informative and helpful by phone. In overseas ports, one identifies one's luggage as usual; it varies from there, as sometimes you will be required to take it through customs, other times not.  Whichever, a driver with a placard will be waiting in a predetermined location to take your luggage.  The next time you will see it is at your front door!  I could not travel without the Luggage Forward service.

• Like 1

My husband and I used Luggage Forward on our cruise last year and loved it so much we are doing it again in August.  The service was impeccable and the instructions they had you follow were very easy.  I was a bit nervous about the whole thing but didn't need to be.  Upon boarding the ship our baggage was in our cabin and we were good to go.  We walk with canes and use a wheelchair at the airport.  It is a bit difficult to get around and with the luggage taken care of it truly helps.

We also had a pre and post hotel stay and this was easy.  Just packed our toiletries and meds with a change of clothes which all fit into a small bag that we checked in.  So all we had to deal with was a small bag easily managed.