Tipping in South America

TayanaLorna

Can anyone tell me the customary and/or anticipated tipping rate for private excursions and/or restaurants in Chile, Argentina, Uruguay and the Falkland Islands of South America.  PLEASE no comments based on where you live.  I am interested in gaining info based upon where I am traveling.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Can anyone tell me the customary and/or anticipated tipping rate for private excursions and/or restaurants in Chile, Argentina, Uruguay and the Falkland Islands of South America.  PLEASE no comments based on where you live.  I am interested in gaining info based upon where I am traveling.  

I find this website handy for tipping around the world.  Was recommended on another forum here on CC.  We were just in South America and generally followed these guidelines.

http://worldtravelers.org/travel-tips-tipping-guide.asp

13 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

I find this website handy for tipping around the world.  Was recommended on another forum here on CC.  We were just in South America and generally followed these guidelines.

http://worldtravelers.org/travel-tips-tipping-guide.asp

Good resource.  Thank you.  It does not give guideline for excursions but I would think % no more then in restaurants.

4 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

If you were leading a tour in the US, would you want to be tipped in Euros??

US dollars would be preferred of course.  However it is possible to exchange Euros or Pound Sterling in the US.  Many places to which cruise ships travel have no easy access to a local currency and not all of us are able to get their choice of foreign currency prior to departure.  So, tip in your currency or don't tip at all.  Another option is to give a "gift" from your country or a donation for local children.  During our years cruising our sailboat to Caribbean islands, various items such as sneakers, caps with logos, T-shirts from your home town, school supplies or art supplies for children were popular.   I can't say what people in countries around the world would appreciate but...