Semi-live from Sojourn July 2-14 Ultimate Alaska and Inside Passage

23 hours ago, kkmiausa said:

Fantastic. Can't wait until August 8th!  Continue to enjoy. It will be our first time on Sojourn. Have always been on Quest so although basically the same ship am sure there are a few surprises.   Thanks for the info on the otter excursions. Coincidentally just saw an nature television show all about them. Quite interesting creatures, some strange things about them too. Glad you are having a great time. 

We will join you.  We are Lynn and Beck from Maui!  Have sailed with Seabourn several times, including the Sojourn.  Looking forward to lovely cruise.  

Day 6 July 7 Inian Islands and Icy Strait Point

I will always remember this as whale day. The Inian Islands stop is a Ventures only stop, so I wasn't in a great rush before breakfast. By the time I was out of the shower, Bob was yelling for me. Whales!

We had heard that there are some shallow rocks here that the whales like to scrape against. Bob was watching the zodiac tour go out, and there were two or three whales out among them. They came up to blow frequently and often gave us good views of their tails as they submerged again. They were so close to one of the zodiacs that the passengers probably felt the mist when they blew. We watched for a while, then went up to breakfast before it closed. We continued watching, and the whales continued showing off. It became clear that they were as interested in us as we were in them, because once all the zodiacs were aboard, we really didn't see the whales again. If you are on an itinerary that comes here definitely consider a zodiac tour.

Jan was able to set up another trivia game as we progressed to Icy Strait Point. It wasn't quite as well attended; a seafood cooking talk was scheduled half an hour later, but several teams were back. Long story short, my new Seabourn backpack looks lovely next to my Seabourn mug from the first game.

Icy Strait Point is owned and operated by people of the town of Hoonah. Think of it as a Native Alaskan theme park. They offer several experiences and have three restaurants and shops. It's really very clever, and we learned that more and more cruise ships are calling there each year. They are expanding their offerings and really running a good business there. Most of the people in Hoonah are Tlingit.

We chose to do the Ziprider, which is mile-long zipline that runs six people at a time down a 1300 foot elevation change. Let me make something very clear: I hate heights. I don't even like to stand on a chair without someone to spot me. But this seemed like one of those things you just HAVE to do.

As we waited for our turn, we learned that once all the materials were in place, it was only a matter of days to put it all together. Jerry, who was in charge, has been working on the ride for four years and just finished his first year of college in Bellingham, WA.

You are loaded in to seats like the hammock chairs many people have on their decks and securely strapped in. Your hands are free so you can extend an arm to help you steer when you twist in the wind, or take pictures. A quick countdown and you are released for your 90-second, 60 mph trip down the mountain. It automatically brakes with a slight jolt at the end.

It. Was. Awesome.

Also, as with any good theme park, photos are taken, which you can buy.

Afterward, we did our usual wander around and perusal of the shops. I also found the guest WiFi, which gives you a free hour and enabled me to post a couple of updates and check my email.

Dinner in the MDR again; the menu keeps featuring things I love or things I want to try. Tonight I had both first course options, the seared hamachi and the tomatoes with buffalo mozzarella. The fish was good, the mozzarella was very good, but the tomatoes were blah. For our main, we both had the soft shell crab. That was a new experience, and a little to crunchy for both of us. Dessert was a really lovely ginger cheesecake, which we paired with some caramel gelato for a really heavenly combination.

The ship fairly recently switched to making its own frozen desserts and they are all--sorbets, gelatos and frozen yogurts--quite good. They are available in the Colonnade and in Seabourn Square.

Entertainment was the singers and the band in "Seabourn Sessions", a selection of pop and rock songs. Toes tapped, heads bobbed, and again, you get the impression that this group really likes working together.

20190707_161156.jpg

20190707_173510.jpg

• Like 1

Day 7 July 8 Juneau

There were half a dozen ships in, some of them mega super jumbo sized, so we tendered into town. We chose the Mendenhall Glacier tour, which was just a bus up to the park and our admission, with two and a half hours to explore.

Our driver was Jacob, who just finished his junior year studying environmental science at Western Washington University. He gave a great narration about Juneau on the 30 minute drive and taught us a really handy mnemonic for remembering the five types of salmon.

Our son-in-law grew up in Juneau and took our daughter to visit a year or two ago. Both insisted that we visit the glacier. We started with the Nugget Falls trail, about a 20-minute walk to a roaring waterfall into a beautiful lake by the glacier. It made for some stunning photographs. When we got back to where the trail split to return to our starting point or turn for the photo loop, we sat on a handy bench for a bit and watched the chickadees. I heard a rustle in the bushes near us that was too big to have been made by the birds, and we found a sleeping porcupine. He was not fazed at all by our presence.

When our time at the glacier was over, our bust dropped us back at the crowded port. Our kids had recommended that we eat at Tracy's King Crab Shack. There are two locations--a newish restaurant at the port, or the original shack half a mile away. We chose to leave the crowd and walk the half mile. There was hardly a soul at the Shack. I had the crab bisque and Bob had a pound of pieces (legs and claws, served on a sheet of paper). It was probably the freshest crab we've ever eaten. So good.

We shopped just a bit at the T shirt store, which was THE place for inexpensive souvenirs. We noticed long lines at the Crab Shack restaurant, and were VERY glad we has gone to the other location. What a difference half a mile makes.

We really weren't into the crowds or the diamond stores, so went back to the ship.

We were invited to dinner with the dancers, Sasha and Valeriiya. They have been dancing together for several years and were recently married and are adorable. Everyone at the table was very good company.

I start with the crab and grapefruit salad (as did most of the table), which was very refreshing. Valeriiya warned us that the roasted mushroom soup with chili oil packed a spicy punch so I avoided it. I chose the rack of lamb that is available every day in the MDR and found it to be even better than the chops in The Grill. DH had the Madras style shrimp. For dessert he stuck with the souffle, this time a Calvados souffle with caramelized apple sauce. I wasn't seated next to him, so I didn't get to taste it, but he said it was on a par with the others on the ship. My lemon panda cotta was one of the best desserts I've had this trip.

Entertainment was comedian Fred Klett. We didn't go, as my 12,000 steps for the day were catching up to me.

20190708_103114.jpg

20190708_133242.jpg

Edited by Swingdancefan
  • Like 1

Thank you So much for this Vlog! My partner and I will be joining the Sojourn on her final Alaska Cruise of the season on September 26th 12 night, it is our first Seabourn cruise and are So looking forward to this small ship! We just Love small ships from Regent, Silver Sea and our favorite Azamara, oh, and looking for Cooler weather as it is Hot in Atlanta at the moment! 🥵

Thanks, Vicky, for the delightful commentary.   A particular thanks is in order for your excellent info regarding the alternative site for Tracy's in Juneau.   The original shack is now firmly on our plan for the day in Juneau.   We'd written off a visit to Tracy's because of the potential crowds at the site near to the port, but will now eagerly look forward to a crab feast at the original site when we visit in early October on the last SB cruise of the season.

I guess from your DH's hat that you live in the Tri-Cities, where LW has a major office.  I am somewhat familiar with the "flat brown side" of our lovely state as I went to college in Walla Walla (which is, however, quite green and lush, like a quaint New England town).

I share your DH's predilection for souffles and have enjoyed many of them on SB.

I hope you will come back with a review of the last few ports of your itinerary--and a general summation including comparing this cruise on Seabourn to previous cruises you have enjoyed on other lines. 

16 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I hope you will come back with a review of the last few ports of your itinerary--and a general summation including comparing this cruise on Seabourn to previous cruises you have enjoyed on other lines. 

If you would not mind wonder if you can tell us about all of the cruising days and were you able to see lots of nature although not in a port? Do you think it is necessary to do a catamaran to get closer to  Tracy or Endicott or if you could see fine from the ship?  All info is appreciated as well as a report on updated weather for end of July:)  Safe travels. Wish my trip had a roll call but I always find Seabourn roll calls very limited.   I hope this trip to Alaska has a bit more

active people  who actually interact with other passengers, as in the past there is very little intermingling. At least this time we have another couple traveling with us as I have found that most Seabourn people keep to themselves.  I think it also depends on the trip. Both of our Canada New England cruises were that way, while Europe was much friendlier.

Also have just ordered a few types of binoculars and wonder what others may be using since there is so much time on ship?

5 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

If you would not mind wonder if you can tell us about all of the cruising days and were you able to see lots of nature although not in a port? Do you think it is necessary to do a catamaran to get closer to  Tracy or Endicott or if you could see fine from the ship?  All info is appreciated as well as a report on updated weather for end of July:)  Safe travels. Wish my trip had a roll call but I always find Seabourn roll calls very limited.   I hope this trip to Alaska has a bit more

active people  who actually interact with other passengers, as in the past there is very little intermingling. At least this time we have another couple traveling with us as I have found that most Seabourn people keep to themselves.  I think it also depends on the trip. Both of our Canada New England cruises were that way, while Europe was much friendlier.

Also have just ordered a few types of binoculars and wonder what others may be using since there is so much time on ship?

I can answer the question about whether a catamaran is necessary in Tracey Arm.  We were on the Kobe to Vancouver itinerary in May/June, so did this scenic cruising.  Our captain was Hamish Elliot and he was outstanding.  Outstanding I say because he took Sojourn as far as he could (according to his maps), so we had champagne/caviar party in the fjord and there were magnificent views.  So--no, you do not have to take the catamaran. 

That being said, we DID take the catamaran and we are so glad we did.  Why? We were able to see several wonderful views of nature at very close range---first, two different waterfalls, and then the Sawyer Glacier.  We were so close and were able to observe so many instances of calving that it took my breath away.  Yes, booking the catamaran costs some dollars, but in my view it is very well worth the expenditure.  It is a comfortable boat and the experience was a real highlight.  

While SB does a great job of making nature viewable from the deck, the catamaran is a very great enhancement.  This is one excursion I would book for sure.  

Edited by SLSD

Thank you so much SLSD! I have booked the catamaran. I have seen videos and it seems really awesome. Husband is not great with motion so not sure he will be good with it, but I want to hear the sounds, not just see from a distance. I just hope the weather is a lot cooler than it was at the beginning of July when we get there on the 8th.  

Want to thank everyone for their input on this post and Swingdancefan for taking the time to contribute!  Did anyone take the Tram while in Juneau?

44 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

Thank you so much SLSD! I have booked the catamaran. I have seen videos and it seems really awesome. Husband is not great with motion so not sure he will be good with it, but I want to hear the sounds, not just see from a distance. I just hope the weather is a lot cooler than it was at the beginning of July when we get there on the 8th.  

Want to thank everyone for their input on this post and Swingdancefan for taking the time to contribute!  Did anyone take the Tram while in Juneau?

Riding on the catamaran is like riding on a barge on a lake.  We were on it in early June and it was cold--we dressed in layers including stocking caps and gloves when out on the deck.  I know it is warmer now.  

Aaaand I'm back. Sorry for the delay. Returning to real life after a trip such as this is always a hassle, and we have been having serious Sojourn withdrawal.

Let's see...

Day 8 July 9 Cruising Endicott Arm

We were up before breakfast was available, because this is the day we booked a kayaking excursion at 8:30. We live near the Columbia River (yes, Freddie, we are in Tri-Cities!) and own a couple of tandem kayaks, so we knew we wanted to kayak at some point. Bob was particularly drawn to kayaking where there was ice in the water, so Endicott Arm won. This trip, Sojourn was in Endicott, as passage there was superior to Tracy. In answer to questions above, the glacier was clearly visible from the ship, though there was a point where another cruise ship was briefly between us and the glacier.

Since we were up so early, we went to Seabourn Square for a pastry and a hot chocolate. It was disappointing that the Square, with its much-vaunted coffee, made cocoa from a packet. Alas, that has been the case on other ships as well. I dream of a really luxurious cup of cocoa one day.

We met up in the club at 8:15 for our dry sits. I am pretty small, but they had suits and booties that fit me just fine. The suits are quite the adventure to put on; they have rubber gaskets (for lack of a better word) at wrists, ankles, and neck, in order to keep water from getting in should the worst happen. Once we were in our bright orange suits and life vests, we boarded our zodiac out to where the line of kayaks waited at anchor. As we traveled, we could see the zodiac excursions and we all watched a pretty impressive calving from the glacier. We also saw some seals or otters. Getting into the kayaks from aboard the zodiac was an easy task, and off we went. There were seven tandem kayaks and our guide in a single.

This was amazing. So peaceful, and yet noisy with the constant crackling and thunder from the glacier. There was a significant amount of ice in the water. There was also some significant wind coming at us from the glacier. This was the hardest thing about the trip--fighting the wind. We would paddle and paddle, then look at our landmark and find that we had barely budged. At one point, I caught motion from my peripheral vision and turned to see a seal coming straight at me. When it was about five feet from my paddle, we made eye contact, both went "Oh!" and it submerged.

We had quite a bit of time and got pretty close to a 40-meter chunk that had broken off the glacier. We were pretty tired from fighting the wind, and happy that the zodiac picked us up near the glacier and we didn't have to paddle all the way back to it. We saw some mountain goats on our way back to the ship, where getting out of the drysuits was another adventure. Apart from the wind off the glacier, it was another pleasant day, and we ate lunch o

I rushed off to trivia (my new Seabourn branded power converter is very nice....) and then we had lunch and a well-deserved rest after our paddling adventures. Apart from the wind off the glacier, it was another pleasant day, and we ate lunch outdoors as usual. I also went to the chocoholic tea in the Observation Lounge, where the egg salad is still delightful and the chocolate choices were delectable. I somehow missed the notation for the galley tour in the Herald, alas.

Dinner was with Cruise Sales expert Liezl. She asked my honest comparison on Seabourn vs. HAL, and I told her our disappointment with the lack of alcohol-free options. (For those of you who did not major in English, this is called foreshadowing.) This was the Cef's Dinner, where Executive Chef Ross got to let his imagination go wild. This is a fixed menu of seven courses plus the usual petit fours. The meal was amazing, pure and simple. It was followed by the singers and dancers presenting "Serenade," a program of pop and theatrical favorites. When Briana and Lindsay sang "For Good" from Wicked--a song that usually makes me a bit misty eyed--their obvious emotion at parting at the end of this cruise impacted all of us in the audience.

20190709_100510.jpg

20190709_081446.jpg

Day 9 July 10 Ketchikan

Another beautiful day in Alaska! So beautiful that I got a (very mild) sunburn...

We went into town fairly early and did our usual wander around. Pro tip: You can get a map of local attractions and a list of things to see in Seabourn Square. We made a point each evening of getting details on the following day's port, and the maps proved very useful. We particularly enjoyed Creek Street, where we pretty much finished our souvenir shopping.

We had tickets for the Lumberjack Show at 2:30. This was a great deal of fun. DH was quite interested, as he does hatchet throwing with his Boy Scouts. This is not just a show--although the participants are definitely showmen. The young men in this show are all actual competitors in "timber sports", some at the collegiate level. The chainsaws are real (and loud), and the hour-long show is a great deal of fun. It's gussied up a little, but does give a good idea of what those in the early timber days, and even now, do.

Our dinner this evening was with the bridge instructor. We had barely been seated when Bar Manager Sean Smit appeared, apologizing profusely for disappointing us, vowing that he would keep us happy from here on out, and presenting us with some very refreshing virgin mojitos. All of our courses were very good--Bob had another souffle, this time coconut, with a pina colada sauce. Another home run. We also met a lovely Swiss lady who is 102 years old, travels alone, and had spent five hours on a fishing boat and caught a salmon that day.

Entertainment was comic magician Bob Brizendine. He was...okay. His humor wasn't exactly my humor. I'm not sure why or how, but most of the people he pulled from the audience to help him were...kind of inept. And comedy ensued.

20190710_153055.jpg

20190710_122457.jpg

Another great report---looking forward to hearing about your final ports and disembarkation.  Then, I hope you will tell us what you think about the SB cruise.  So glad that the bar tender finally got the word that there were guests who needed special non alcoholic drinks. Are there other ways that Holland America exceeded Seabourn?

Re discussion on the Catamaran.

Please be aware that this vessel is not a sailing vessel as the name might imply.(In English English anyway).It is a twin hulled motor vessel designed to accommodate up to about 60 people and has an open top deck with an enclosed lower level.

Initially I was dismayed as I had been anticipating a more select craft rather than a tourist boat.

Nevertheless our trip in Misty Fjords was good with sightings or Orca,bears and many eagles.

In Endicott arm we took the Zodiacs. Amazing experience!

2 hours ago, adoctor said:

Re discussion on the Catamaran.

Please be aware that this vessel is not a sailing vessel as the name might imply.(In English English anyway).It is a twin hulled motor vessel designed to accommodate up to about 60 people and has an open top deck with an enclosed lower level.

Initially I was dismayed as I had been anticipating a more select craft rather than a tourist boat.

Nevertheless our trip in Misty Fjords was good with sightings or Orca,bears and many eagles.

In Endicott arm we took the Zodiacs. Amazing experience!

The Catamaran we traveled on held more than 60 people.  It was most like a barge. (It has a restroom, snacks, drinks available, etc)  It was quite a popular excursion.  I didn't hear any complaints at all.  The ability to come so close to Cascades (like waterfalls) and the glacier was special.  Yes, it's a tourist boat, but picked everyone up from the Sojourn.  Sometimes you just have to be a tourist.  

Edited by SLSD

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

😀

3 hours ago, SLSD said:

The Catamaran we traveled on held more than 60 people.  It was most like a barge. (It has a restroom, snacks, drinks available, etc)  It was quite a popular excursion.  I didn't hear any complaints at all.  The ability to come so close to Cascades (like waterfalls) and the glacier was special.  Yes, it's a tourist boat, but picked everyone up from the Sojourn.  Sometimes you just have to be a tourist.  

Sounds exactly like what we need. Very happy I signed up for it.

Vicky- Really appreciate your posts! We have not been on Seabourn; but, your posts, as well as those of others' on this board, have put the line on our list to try. 

Looking forward to your next post and overall thoughts regarding your trip. From what I read, sounds like it was very enjoyable and happy to read that you have been enjoying your voyage.