Internet

MomC

22 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

It does not log you off automatically. You have to do that yourself.  Maybe that's part of the problem why the wi-fi is so slow.

Actually it does log off automatically after a ten minute period of inactivity. 

15 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Actually it does log off automatically after a ten minute period of inactivity. 

Maybe it did at one time but I was just on Marina last month and it definitely did not log off automatically after any period of inactivity.

I believe we need to cut to the chase here. As a past business owner one learns “ No business can be all things to all people “. You’ll never get all the customers. Some things you do will draw some in while chasing others away.

If your dealings require you to be tethered to the internet for either extensive or intensive periods of time, then Oceania may not be a good choice . Please come back and try the cruise line when your life or livelyhood isn’t controlled by internet availability. I believe you’ll love the cruise line at that point in your life.

Perhaps Oceania wants to be a part of a niche market where everyone isn’t walking around, head down, looking down at their cellphones but engaging in lively conversations with fellow cruisers. In today’s world that is definitely becoming a pleasant (imo) niche.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roothy123 said:

Yes, and I sure wish everyone logged off when done, although I've never been sure if that's necessary.  (Does the system log you off automatically after an amount of time has passed with no activity?)

If I'm going to email, I just compose something off-line, park it on the clipboard or whatever, and then transfer it to email later when I go online.  I also compress any pictures I want to send, although I realize that's a little more complicated for some people.

I wonder if some/most people are unaware of the limits.  Maybe have a 'helpful hints' card or something.

11 hours ago, sunlover12 said:

Maybe it did at one time but I was just on Marina last month and it definitely did not log off automatically after any period of inactivity.

That was our experience as well on Marina in May and Riviera May one year ago as well.  I believe it had a very deleterious effect on availability onboard, particularly at certain prime times, such as late afternoon through evening.