Cartagena Port Stop DIY

I will be visiting Cartagena next June and will be in port from 8:30 am - 6:00 pm. I will be traveling with my 79 year old mom. We should have access to a shuttle from the port to the center of town. We normally like to walk around and do an overview. I would love to know what are the top 3 things to see. Thanks for any suggestions. 

6 hours ago, YoungDubFan said:

I will be visiting Cartagena next June and will be in port from 8:30 am - 6:00 pm. I will be traveling with my 79 year old mom. We should have access to a shuttle from the port to the center of town. We normally like to walk around and do an overview. I would love to know what are the top 3 things to see. Thanks for any suggestions. 

Our ship made an unscheduled stop in Cartegenia due to bad weather and it turned out to be one of the highlights of our cruise! It's an easy walk from the port to the city and its wonderful ampitheatre and excavations. The town centre is small and very walkable. There's a lift that takes you higher for views but if you're able to climb to the top of the ampitheatre you won't be disappointed. 

There's a short bus tour that takes about 45 minutes to travel around the highlights with a nice commentary that gives some history of this ancient port. It was quite cheap but popular and you should buy your tickets and select a time for the tour when you first arrive. They have a small kiosk just outside the city walls near the main entry and you can't miss them. There's only a couple of spots where you can hop off the bus and most people just stayed on for the full loop. Enjoy. And it's pronounced Cart a hania.

Just adding..... Depending how fit she is, your mother may not be able to get to the top of the ampitheatre. It's really, really steep and if you go up you have to come back the same way. There's a sort of rope but no rails. Please don't miss the ampitheatre though. It's one of the best preserved you'll come across.

It's also a lovely town to just sit and people watch...have a coffee, beer or wine and maybe a shared snack. There were locals everywhere going about their daily business and a couple of weddings in the beautiful church in the main square.

7 hours ago, YoungDubFan said:

CARTAGENA is one of the easiest Mediterranean ports to DIY as the town is compact/easy to get around with some good examples of Modernista architecture. 

The Roman Amphitheatre and Museum is right at the start of the main street opposite the Town Hall at the Plaza de Ayuntamiento and shouldn't be missed (beware though that it is steep and not ideal for people with mobility issues).

It would be a sin not to call into the Valor Chocolate Shop virtually next door to the museum where you will be tempted with all things chocolaty (hand made chocolates, hot chocolate drinks, ice cream, cakes and pastries etc).  

The Santa Florentina is a good indoor market and the town has a good range of shops (especially for shoe lovers as shoemaking is a local industry). 

The castle (Castillo de la Concepcion) is a fascinating place to wander around - best way to access this and see some amazing views of your ship and across the bay is via the panoramic scenic elevator.  

If you like nautical history you will enjoy the Naval Museum.  

A good way to get your bearings, and learn some of the towns history, is by taking a ride on the trolley train. 

• Thanks 1

I  recommend you go to tomsportguides.com   He has a great walking tour of Cartagena, with maps, photos etc.   He has guides for other ports too.  All free.  We loved Cartagena and found his info very helpful. 

As above, tomsportguides has everything you need to know.

I don't however understand why there would be a port to city centre shuttle involved.

For Cartagena you simply cross the road and you are there. Are you docking somewhere different from the usual spot?  Or did you write Cartagena instead of a different port name?

Thanks for the info about Tom’s Port Guides. Those have a wealth of information. As to my comment about a shuttle, I just assumed there would be one. I am on Crystal and they usually provide one when needed. I don’t know where we will be docking. 

• 1 month later...

We were in Cartagena last year.  It was a wonderful port.  It's very easy to navigate on your own.  The ship docks literally right downtown.  Walk of the ship and cross the street you are a right at the entrance to the main shopping street.  Lot's of stores and cafes.  We explored a bit, stopped at a cafe for tapas and sangria, then explored a little.  Then we repeated this another two or three times.  We had a great day.

I'll be there on a monday in November which according to several websites, the powers that be close the amphitheater and the ferry to the port. In the case of cruise ships visiting in that time frame, has anyone actually been inside the amphitheater or the ferry to the port? I'm hoping that places will stay open with a cruise ship. 

15 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I'll be there on a monday in November which according to several websites, the powers that be close the amphitheater and the ferry to the port. In the case of cruise ships visiting in that time frame, has anyone actually been inside the amphitheater or the ferry to the port? I'm hoping that places will stay open with a cruise ship. 

See this recent thread 

Edited by campolady