Carseats

Cozzette3

I know that this has been asked a million times and maybe this isn't the best place to post this but here goes. 

My grandson and  his family  will be flying from Oregon to Florida with a 14 month old for a 7 day cruise.

What do they need to do about a carseat? Do they need  to haul theirs with them ?

Thank you, Kris

Edited by Cozzette3
Mispelling

Are they purchasing a seat for the child on the aircraft ? When we did we brought a smaller carseat (approved by the airlines) not the larger one we use at home.

Florida car seat laws ( https://www.flhsmv.gov/safety-center/child-safety/safety-belts-child-restraints/)

Safety Belts

• Florida law requires the use of seat belts or child restraint devices by drivers of motor vehicles, all front seat passengers and all children riding in a vehicle under 18.
  • Florida’s safety belt law is a primary enforcement law, meaning that an officer can stop a vehicle and issue a citation simply for observing a safety belt or restraint violation.
  • Children should be in the rear seats until at least age 12, since deployed front seat air bags can be dangerous to children.

Child Restraints – Car Seats and Booster Seats

• Florida law requires children age 5 and under to be secured properly in a crash-tested, federally approved child restraint device.
  • Children ages 0 to 3 must be in child restraint devices of a separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer’s integrated child seat.
  • Children age 4 and 5 must be in a separate carrier, integrated child seat or booster seat.
  • The best child seat is one that fits your child, fits your car and that drivers will use correctly every time.
  • Read the car seat’s instruction manual and the portion of your vehicle’s owner manual when you install a car seat.

Thanks for the replies I figured as much that that child would need a car seat while in Florida I doubt that they would purchase an airline seat since the baby will not be 2 yet so probably on the lap I didn't know they were smaller cars seats that you could buy. 

They may just feel safer having that car seat on all the excursions anyway I know I would.

Bringing your own seat will ensure that it is correctly sized and has been maintained. The airline will check the seat for free if they choose not to use it on the flight.

welcome to the boards! 😎

Edited by JohninDC

7 hours ago, Cozzette3 said:

Thanks for the replies I figured as much that that child would need a car seat while in Florida I doubt that they would purchase an airline seat since the baby will not be 2 yet so probably on the lap I didn't know they were smaller cars seats that you could buy. 

They may just feel safer having that car seat on all the excursions anyway I know I would.

We used the Safety 1st Guide 65 Convertable carseat. We found the best pricing at Walmart. It's a great smallish, compact, lightweight carseat that we have since used in extra cars or in mine (grandma's car). And it approved by the airlines.

Edited by Ashland

2 hours ago, Cozzette3 said:

Ashland do you happen to live in Ashland Oregon?

No.... my home town was Ashland, Kentucky....I didn't even know there was an Ashland, Oregon until many years ago.

Edited by Ashland

We have a cosco scenera we use as our travel seat. It is also light and cheap (the safety 1st seat mentioned above is also a good option).  There are several products to help with carrying a seat through the airport, a strap to strap it to a roller bag, a car seat bag/backpack with or without wheels, a luggage or car seat cart. It is a huge pain to lug it but if both parents are traveling with 1 kid it isn't too bad.

Depending on which departure port there are some shuttle services with car seats available as well if you don't think you will need it for any of the stops on the trip.

4 hours ago, flippergirl said:

We have a cosco scenera we use as our travel seat. It is also light and cheap (the safety 1st seat mentioned above is also a good option).  There are several products to help with carrying a seat through the airport, a strap to strap it to a roller bag, a car seat bag/backpack with or without wheels, a luggage or car seat cart. It is a huge pain to lug it but if both parents are traveling with 1 kid it isn't too bad.

Depending on which departure port there are some shuttle services with car seats available as well if you don't think you will need it for any of the stops on the trip.

We've used the car seat type (dolly) and it folds up flat and is easily stored in the aircraft overhead bin.