Rude NCL Cruise Consultants

19 hours ago, SmartTraveler said:

I love sailing NCL cruise line.  I enjoy the different ships they have and the specialty dining they offer.  I am almost in the Platinum category.  However I do not like there cruise consultants.  I called in today and spoke with one about taking a Western Caribbean cruise on the Breakaway.  I explained that the cruise I saw was in August or maybe September.  It offered Free everything including 3/4 guests and airfare.  The first consultant could not find the cruise and told me it would be sixty minutes to talk to a supervisor.  I asked to be transferred and he wasn't able to do that.  I called back in again and spoke with a rude person that was out of the corporate office.  He found the cruise and the correct cabin category.  It was priced at $666 mini suite for the first two guests.  But when he finished instead of being $666 for the first two passengers it was $999 not including the taxes and $299 for the 3rd guest airfare.  I asked him how it could change from being $666 to $999 for the first two passengers.  He kept saying he wasn't lying and that is what it is.  I tried to get him to understand the concept but he wouldn't listen.  I asked for his extension and he wouldn't give it to me.  He said he wasn't taking me on as a guest.  I asked to be transferred again to a supervisor and was told he could only do that if I booked a cruise.  I have never dealt with such rude consultants in my life.  I sent an email to guest relations on this.  Waiting to see if they respond.  

Nothing changed.  It was not $666 FOR THE FIRST TWO PASSENGERS.  It was an AVERAGE of $666 for each person in your cabin.  It was priced at an AVERAGE of $666 for three passengers. 3 x 666 = 1998.  The actual breakdown of that 1998 was $999 for 1 and 2 and 0 for 3.  NOTHING CHANGED.  You just did not read what it si you were buying and the price at which you were buying it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SmartTraveler said:

Thank you for going through that.  I understand that the $753 is the average of three people.  But it shouldn't be.  If they are offering the 3rd/4th guests as being totally free then the price should be based upon the average of two people.  The first and Second guests.  By doing it this way your still paying $753 for the 3 rd guest.   Even though its disguised under the first two passengers.   

No you are not.  In you case the first two will pay the same exact 999 whether there is a 3rd and 4th or not.  You simply do not understand the concept of AVERAGE.

• Like 1

Well, your TA must add value, and mine does.  I never call anyone for anything (except the call I made to NCL yesterday which was infuriating).  So emailing my TA with questions and having her come back to me within an hour or so suits me just fine.  I do all my own research and my questions are usually minor. 

Here's a good example:  We just sailed on Queen Victoria to Norway and she found a cabin at the same price of all the others that had 20 or 30 more square feet.  Once she pointed it out, I could see it o the deck plans, but wouldn't have figured that out for myself. 

Edited by jsn55
add paren
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Birdie And Sue said:

No you are not.  In you case the first two will pay the same exact 999 whether there is a 3rd and 4th or not.  You simply do not understand the concept of AVERAGE.

Seems like this thread should fade away.  Original poster had a question, it was answered and in post #11   of this thread original poster made it clear they now understood NCL's pricing method. 

Why are you continuing to bring up and comment on original posters posts made prior to their understanding?

Edited by kjquilts
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Birdie And Sue said:

Except now you have a third party stuck in between you and the cruise line.  Any time you need anything or have a question,  you have to call the TA, have them call NCL and discus the issue with them, then the TA has to call you back and discuss it with you, then if you have a follow up question the loop continues.  MUCH simpler to just get on line and find the cruise you want and book it.  A vast majority of the time you can just as good an offer (if not better) on your own.  Using a TA is a PITA.

Of course there are always 2 ways to look at things but when I think of how many hours our agent spends on the phone trying to get correct answers or explains to me how and why something is the way it is, I am so happy we have one. There have been times when she has stepped in and came to bat for us. If all goes well, you are 100% correct but just let something go wrong and you might change your mind. 

• Like 1

Exactly, Nita.  I know that I can count on Carol 1000% if trouble arises that I can't deal with properly.  Gotta remember that TAs who are cruise experts have access to LOTS of stuff that we don't.  Yesterday, Carol's husband was in the hospital and the NCL sale was ending at 5pm my time.  Everything about the cruise was perfect for us, and for once perks were offered that would really save us money.  I knew I could book whatever and transfer the booking over to her agency.  And she's already looking for a "better" cabin that wasn't available on NCL's web.   Based on my one phone call to NCL when the guy couldn't even answer a simple question, nor did he give a rip, I'll take a little delay in communication any day.

I'm an advocate on Chris Elliott's travel forums, so I'm probably aware of ten times more bad travel stuff that can happen than most travellers!

In my mind it's the same thing as doing your own taxes vs a professional.  Sure, I could do my taxes on my computer, but I'd much rather pay a pro ... in case of an IRS issue, I do NOT want to have to deal with them. 

23 hours ago, kjquilts said:

Seems like this thread should fade away.  Original poster had a question, it was answered and in post #11   of this thread original poster made it clear they now understood NCL's pricing method. 

Why are you continuing to bring up and comment on original posters posts made prior to their understanding?

'Cause it's interesting to learn things and exchange ideas.

I guess we just got lucky when we got our PCC.  She is wonderful! Last time I called her (when our perks mysteriously disappeared from our booking), she was not in the "office" but immediately returned my call after her lunch break. And, she took care of my problem and restored my perks.