Celerbity Food or Princess

jackjoyus

Here's the answer I just posted to this same question asked on a similar thread:

I was just on Sea Princess 3 weeks ago (see my thread on which I gave an onboard commentary 'Devoted X'er Goes Princess' and companrisons between the two lines) and while Princess has many nice ammenities, food is certainly not one of them! Celebrity food remains, on mainstream cruiselines, the gold standard

Yah, this one is not even close. Princess does many things well, but cuisine is not one of them. Celebrity's food is much better.

Princess, NCL and RCCL all come up short compared to Celebrity and Holland America in the food department.

No such thing as a bad cruise!

Kel

HI TUG,

I have had this discussion a lot lately. Princess food is mass produced and good to mediocre at best. I have been in and out of the food business all my life so I can speak from a position of knowledge.

I have heard many pax say that they loved the food court on Princess. I thought that the food court food quality was nowhere near Celebrity. Maybe more choices but the quality is not there. The grades of beef were not as good as Celebrity...and more importatly the culinary technique in the finished product was often substandard. I thought that the roasting technique was really poor. It seemed like they were taking frozen meat and trying to roast it. The end result was a dried out and tasteless main course. At least that was my experience onboard the CARIBBEAN PRINCESS and the STAR PRINCESS last October.

ROSS

I really found the buffet at lunch on Sea to be quite good. The salads were fresh, there was a nice selection of cheeses and cold things which I liked and usually one or two entrees that were tasty. When they did the special dessert things they were very good. Much better than the dinner desserts! And I really liked the smoked fish buffet.

All in all, I found more to eat that I liked at the P buffet than the X one. Plus I LOVED that you could get cookies, cheese and crackers, fruit, etc all night. That is especially important since I just got off the Opera where I heard people complain of actually being hungry because the serving hours for food were so limited and ended VERY early.

We went on our most recent Princess cruise two years ago, Celebrity a year ago, and HAL this past Christmas. Each had areas of food that where better than the other two. On Princess, the best part is afternoon tea and the variety in availability of food in the buffet. HAL had the best buffet for breakfast, but it had poor service in the dining room at breakfast and lunch. Celebrity wins, in my opinion, with service and food in the dining room, but I did not like the food in the buffet.

Archived