Explorer 2

Considering Explorer 2 for  Caribbean in November from Newcastle.

What Gins are on the premium all inclusive package and at what bars are they available. Is there a gin and whisky bar on board like the Explorer. Thanks for any help in advance.

There is a gin and whiskey bar in Squid & Anchor

Recent list

Hendricks

Poetic licence Northern Dry

Masons

Whitley Neal Rhubarb and Ginger

Opihir Oriental spiced

Burleighs Signature

Langleys No 8

Sipsmith London Dry

Portobello Road no 171

Plymouth Dry

All with fevertree tonics

We are looking at cancelling our cruise on the azura to go on the Explorer 2, just a case of crossing the t's and dotting the i's. Both are for virtually same time period but explorer 2 has a better itinary.

So would still appreciate any feedback on Explorer 2. I have seen now that there is a gin and whisky bar in the Squid I hope they have as good a selection of gins as on the explorer.

• 2 weeks later...

Been reading recent reviews on Explorer 2 and it would seem the teething problems have been sorted and all is well. 

However the Naples problems seem to be worsening, it appears to be taking ages to get to the ship and to return to the airport and planes are delayed.  Isn't it about time Marella did something about this? 

Yes Explorer 2 was everything we expected and better, the downside  of course was Naples Airport, absolute chaos only goes halfway to explaining how bad it really was.  We will be giving Naples a very wide berth, it may improve the situation if luggage was bonded both ways, but it still leaves a very long walk to the coaches on arrival, it just cannot manage the nine TUI flights in a few short hours.

@ormy just caught up with your Ex2 review and spot on. Agree totally about MDR and dress code, saw some right slobs on our trip who quite frankly better off in Magaluf etc. 🙈 I know it's their holiday and they paid same as us and it's their choice but come on, it's only one night DTI, make the effort Perleeeese!

It's not that the MDR is the only dining option, if they don't want to dress smartly just use the self serve restaurant. I do think Marella should have a long look at their dress code, you would certainly not get away with such dress on P&O.

• Like 1

Totally agree on dress code needing to be respected.If people don't want to dress up then they should go to the buffet.

We saw people in Surf & Turf wearing shorts and fitflops on Discovery 2! Well out of order.

Tui definitely need to insist on dress codes and not allow entry to MDR or fee paying restaurants if not dressed suitably.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ormy said:

It's not that the MDR is the only dining option, if they don't want to dress smartly just use the self serve restaurant. I do think Marella should have a long look at their dress code, you would certainly not get away with such dress on P&O.

There argument is that they paid for there holiday they dress how they wish,but it's really is Marella's fault by changing the rules.

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

There argument is that they paid for there holiday they dress how they wish,but it's really is Marella's fault by changing the rules.

Totally agree, Marella really need to get this sorted. If people don't want to follow a dress code they should book a holiday to suit them.  Even many hotels have a dress code in the evening. 

Just been reading about the riot on Britannia which appears to have started because someone dressed as a clown at a black tie event, I guess P&O will be looking into how they enforce dress code in future.  Hopefully the people involved will be banned from cruising again!

I think one of the probs is people go into the Tui shops looking for an AI holiday, I dont know whether agents are on a bonus but a few I heard on Ex2 had done this and been persuaded to try a cruise instead without really any research or forewarning of what a cruise is or entails, I see this by a lot of the really dumb questions asked on the FB pages and grumbles on cruise itself. Some people just a bit misled on what a cruise is. Hence lack of appropriate dress etc 

Edited by 2BACRUISER

We spoke with two couples on our recent cruise, really nice people, but they just had no idea of what was expected re dress at dinner, as everyone says Marella really need to sort out this matter. One of the couples quite happy to eat in Market Place each evening

Our first cruise was with Princess in March 2009.  I spent days going round the post Christmas sales to get 3 evening dresses and things for the smart casual evenings. I was so worried we would feel out of place, nowadays there seems to be some people who are determined to get away with making no effort at all. They don't seem to be in the slightest embarrassed that they are the ones who dress differently. I really can't understand why they choose to cruise.

• Like 1

As I enjoy dressmaking, I make my own evening dresses, buying fabric mainly from our local market. The cost per dress is around £20 and it means that no-one will have the same one.

i understand that some people prefer the more relaxed style but personally, I think that making the effort to dress is all part of the experience. I have known it when restaurants in resort hotels have turned guests away for not wearing appropriate attire. I am surprised to hear that this is not happening on Marella as I have seen one or two couples being refused entry in the past couple of years.

On Discovery end of June there were prominent notices about attire required for the restaurants outside alongside the menus and I never saw anyone inappropriately dressed in 47 or Gallery 47 It was all laid out in the Cruise News as well So hopefully Marella are policing it now

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

times are a changing people, there is no real dress code on marella anymore.    sure its there if you want to dress up and make the effort as you call it but most of the younger crowd and some older   don't fancy it and prefer to be laid back on their  holls.  as for implying that they should be asked to dine in the buffet on these fancy occasions  well its their holliday as well and  if marella  think its ok  then ime good with that.   some  of you people think that maybe they are on the wrong cruise,  well maybe its you people who are on the wrong cruise, after all  you could book a cunard ship or even one of those eye watering  new 6 star jobs like silver sea ect as I know they have a more strict dress code.  like I said times are  a changing and  a younger crowd, more innovation and more things to do now.   one of the old traditions (dressing up) is fading away and in maybe 10 years will be  virtually dead.  jack was in steerage on the titanic but nowadays  he is in all cabins on the ship and you cant ask him to dine in the café  cos you don't like  his/ her attire.  just for the record I am  a pants and shirt  guy at night but that's my choice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These are my sentiments exactly. As I have said repeatedly on here if you want to dress up, tux, cocktail dresses, ball gowns etc that’s fine by me but I do object to being told I should have dinner elsewhere whilst the dining room is being used  by the people who want to dress up which according to sous Paul’s estimations would leave it half empty. For information I always wear tailored shirt and trousers and proper shoes in the MDR. 

Excellent post Gramworld you have hit the nail on the head.👍

Standby for incoming outrage🙄

thanks for the total agreement brummijam, I don't think I will get many but that's ok  got wide shoulders.     bring on the outrage.   the point about  the mdr being left half full  on dress to impress night is  the best, cant see marella letting that happen  they would have a queue from the buffet to the bridge to get in lol.     50 years  ago very  few people went on a cruise and if you did I suspect most nights would have been  full formal dress.  these days cruising is in the reach of most   and more every year  are younger, these kids in the main don't go on holiday to look like they are at tea with the queen.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jayneykul said:

Well transferring to an American line wouldn’t cut it (Cunard aside, owned by Carnival) as we were very much in the minority dressing up, the majority are (I’m being kind) extremely casual

This is where opinions differ, I can’t get my head around the view that we shouldn’t  be in the MDR whilst the dress to impress guests are.  The dress code for the restaurants is smart casual which is how I always dress, I eat in the MDR  because it is usually a pleasant experience,  live and let live people.🤫

Sorry but I don't think it's too much to ask to 'dress to impress' for one night during a weeks cruise and I know it's easier for women but men don't have to wear a DJ just a shirt trousers and shoes My husband wears a cream linen suit the trousers of which he wears on other nights when more casual and so only extra in his suitcase is the lightweight jacket He wears cream/navy boat shoes which he travels in so it's not a luggage problem and sometimes we eat in the buffet anyway which is quicker if there are things we want to see and do that evening

If we are on a land based holiday he will wear shirt and trousers in the evening as he wouldn't go to a restaurant at home in shorts and t shirt no matter how hot it is.

i think it's more a matter of having pride in your appearance when out no matter what you might wear at home