Attire for Med Crusie

IDL

My wife and I are taking a Med cruise next summer on the Viking Sea.  We did a Viking river boat cruise a couple of years ago and enjoyed it and we have cruised many times over the years but this will be our first Viking ocean cruise.  The ship looks awesome and I like to workout and some of the deck games and so day time attire will be workout and very casual for the most part.  I usually wear slacks and a button down shirt for dinner and night time and do not plan on bringing a suite or sport jacket.  Does anyone wear nice jeans at night or is that too casual?

This question has been the subject of much debate in the forum.  The official Viking dress policy says:

“During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted. The evening dress excludes World Café where the dress remains casual after 6:00 PM.”

My experience is that folks generally wear what they are comfortable wearing.  The World Cafe is very casual for all meals.  The dress policy is usually posted outside The Restaurant and the specialty restaurants, presumably to discourage shorts and jeans, but the policy is often ignored without consequence.  You definitely do not need a suit or sport jacket — slacks and a button-down shirt are fine in any of the restaurants. 

Edited by cocopico
  • Thanks 1

I agree with cocopico. I'll add one thing about shirts - button down all the way is not required.  I always wear collared long sleeve 2-3 button down knit shirts which cover my belt as I am always attached to a small medical device. It hides the device, plus is much more comfortable than threading the pick line through my clothing. As cocopico says, jeans are discouraged, but you'll see plenty in the Restaurant.

• Thanks 1

You definitely don't need a suit. And in summer, probably give the sport jacket a pass, unless you need it for any events in port or before/after the cruise. DH takes a sport coat in cooler weather and uses it as a jacket as well as for dinner. Probably would not do that in the summer unless we had fine dining plans pre or post cruise.

FWIW, we have done 2 TA Viking cruises and I would say that about 1/4 to 1/3 of the men wore sport coats to dinner in the Restaurant or Manfredi's/Chef's Table.  But a pair of non-jeans and a button down is certainly fine at any restaurant. 

As far as jeans, I would think about taking only one pair if you really must. If you are traveling in summer in warm climates they will be warm. They also are heavy in your suitcase and take forever to dry if you get caught in rain. I would stick with lightweight trousers that are multi-purpose, something that can be worn in any restaurant onboard and in port. At least one pair that is quick dry for rain or hiking type activities if that is something you enjoy. 

We try to travel light and that eliminates jeans since they can only be worn in World Cafe or Mamsen's. Easier to take lightweight pants that can be worn everywhere, and are lighter, cooler and quicker to dry. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, broker1217 said:

And in summer, probably give the sport jacket a pass,

On the other hand, there is the air conditioning on the ship and if you are always cold in an air conditioned room, plan for it--sweater, jacket, whatever makes you happy.

4 hours ago, broker1217 said:

As far as jeans, I would think about taking only one pair if you really must. 

DH wears them on the plane. That way they don't weigh down the suitcase

Drying wet jeans on the ship is not problem because you can always take them to the launderette and throw them in the dryer.

4 hours ago, Squawkman said:

button down all the way is not required.

No, the only requirement on a man's shirt is a collar (and sleeves) -- golf shirts, polo shirts, button downs, turtlenecks, rugby shirts, camp shirts, whatever.

As long as it is neat, clean and without rents or tears. There isn't even a "rule" about tucked in.

• Like 1

My husband never wears jeans (grew up at a time when jeans were a sign of poverty), so his Restaurant attire is slacks and a nice shirt- usually long sleeve button down collar, no jacket. I like to be more dressy, but have worn white denim slacks that don’t have traditional jean stitching- never been questioned. Our traveling group has “themes” for many nights, so that dictates our evening attire (all within the guidelines of the code). DFA35B85-C3FD-440C-BF1E-54AB3637AD7E.thumb.jpeg.e72ab34ecf01d5e2861a23ff25990885.jpeg

• Like 1

FWIW, on our TA “In the Wake of the Vikings” last September,  on three different occasions across the course of the trip, we saw Restaurant personnel very discretely and professionally remind guests of the ‘no jeans’ policy.  In all three instances, these were men wearing denim jeans, and all three times, the gentlemen involved very pleasantly turned around and went back to change.  (Actually, I assume they went back to change; I didn’t notice whether or not they returned later in different pants - maybe they went upstairs to the WC.). But in any case, no drama involved at any point, on the part of Viking staff or the people involved - all very discrete.  YMMV of course... on a Miami/Mexico itinerary earlier in the year, we saw a couple of men in jeans in the Restaurant.   Like Broker1217 and Squawkman, my DH wears khakis and a pull-over, knit, long-sleeved polo shirt in the Restaurant, and does take a jacket with a button-down dress shirt - no tie - for Chef’s Table and Manfredi’s evenings.   The jacket part is absolutely a personal preference and definitely not required.  

On 7/12/2019 at 11:51 PM, Krisval said:

My husband never wears jeans (grew up at a time when jeans were a sign of poverty), so his Restaurant attire is slacks and a nice shirt- usually long sleeve button down collar, no jacket. I like to be more dressy, but have worn white denim slacks that don’t have traditional jean stitching- never been questioned. Our traveling group has “themes” for many nights, so that dictates our evening attire (all within the guidelines of the code). DFA35B85-C3FD-440C-BF1E-54AB3637AD7E.thumb.jpeg.e72ab34ecf01d5e2861a23ff25990885.jpeg

Just to be clear, sparkly hats are always optional! 🙂

We lived in the Athens area many years ago.  Summers were very warm and dusty.  The water temperature was cool.  I also swam/snorkeled with a long sleeved t-shirt.  We like to wear Hiking pants when traveling in warm climates.  Check out outdoor stores or clothing (LLBean, REI). Also like the light long sleeve shirts.  Such clothing offers protection from the sun and dries very quickly if it gets wet.  Make sure you carry water and drink it while touring.  It is easy to get dehydrated. We always pack 2 or 3 empty 8 oz plastic water bottles.  Easy to refill on ship and takes less space then the larger bottles Viking gives out on the ship.