Oceania's Excursion to Machu Picchu

skiladyldp

OP, we went to Machu Picchu in the 70s when there were already crowds but apparently nothing like now.  It is really something to go up what looks like all the other mountains around and suddenly come upon the site of an old settlement at the top.  What you see are the remains of the buildings and very nice wild flowers and views though I am sure there is a modern museum, restaurants etc that were not there then.  The artifacts are in museums there and in Cuzco and Lima.  I would not have missed it but 4 hours is probably enough if one of you does not do long walks any more (I am there now).  There are many other interesting towns and sites around Cuzco that are enjoyable with private guides and a good reason for a longer visit but seeing the mountain before it is more spoiled might be enough.  You will enjoy Buenos Aires too but some walking is needed there too.  Have a wonderful trip.

• Like 1

Here is another vote for Kuoda to MP!  Very reasonably priced for what you get.  Our guide and driver were wonderful, as were the accommodations.  On one day our guide asked us if a box lunch would be okay since finding a restaurant of any type would have been difficult and we all said yes.  Instead he cooked a meal for us, imported a table and chairs, drinks, etc.  This was service above and beyond!

Off-topic, I had rattlesnake and "gray squirrel out of season" when at summer camp a few hundred years ago.  As I recall, BOTH tasted like chicken!

Mura

• Haha 1

90% of the cruise companies tours use national or local tour companies..  They are good.  We did one with another cruiseline, but our criteria was1) itinerary, but 2)excluding a stay at Cusco.   We are susceptible  to altitude sickness.  We can handle a few hours above 10,000 ft but get symptoms after that  we  have problems.  Oxygen, coca leaves etc are minimally effective as we live in Florida and bear the full brunt of the altitude change. 

Our itinerary left Cusco as soon as we landed and our hotel was in Urubamba.  We did four or five sites and MP.  For the 5 of 6 days we stayed under 8000 ft.  The last day we spent in Cusco, with a later flight out to LIma.

We plan to go back to MP, but land at Cuscon and immediately take private transportation to Olantaytambo and take the train to MP and stay at one of the hotels.

It's worth the steep prices.