Really?

SALAD MUNCHER

I  have been waitlisted for around 2 months for a single inside/outside cabin on QV sailing 11th August this year. Recently I found out I was number 9 on the list and therefore was sure I had no chance. Unfortunately I was away for the last 14 days but kept on checking the double cabins for single use and up to last Friday there was at least 8 ocean view and a similar number of inside. I decided as soon as I got home (today) I would book a double cabin for single use. However upon logging in to the Cunard website the only cabins available to book were PG2  (at £6400 plus for single use!!) I phoned Cunard to check if they had anything from Balcony down but was told they only had from P2 up, but that they would waitlist me for anything from balcony down. Yet during my previous visits to the Cunard website various categories have been shown as sold out and then changed to available within days. I am not sure whether to wait "just in case" or to book another cruise as I can only sail in August. Is it possible that around 16+ cabins have been sold over the last 3 or 4 days or is this yet another Cunard 'algorithym' to attract more bookings for the higher grades? This will be my first solo cruise and I particularly wanted the "Around the British Isles" trip so I could ease myself into solo cruising, rather like wearing a comfortable slipper......

Edited by SALAD MUNCHER
spelling mstake

Do you know if your cruise is part of a longer crossing or cruise. I wanted to book a certain grade for a 8 day T/A on QM2 this September, but it was not available. I found it was available if I started the crossing in Hamburg, which I booked. Cunard holds back some accommodation for segments of a longer crossing, and if they don't get booked, they get released at the last minute. Good luck on getting what you want. 

9 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

Do you know if your cruise is part of a longer crossing or cruise. I wanted to book a certain grade for a 8 day T/A on QM2 this September, but it was not available. I found it was available if I started the crossing in Hamburg, which I booked. Cunard holds back some accommodation for segments of a longer crossing, and if they don't get booked, they get released at the last minute. Good luck on getting what you want. 

Unfortunately this is just Southampton to Southampton, so no extra segments. Thanks for your reply though.

Just an update on my saga....been checking the Cunard website every hour or for the last couple of days so, but still only PG and above was showing as available, with all other categories listed as sold out.  However, this morning I got up early (6.30am) and whilst having my coffee waiting for dh to get up I thought I would check the Cunard website once again. Amazingly there was one category, OV (Obstructed) available. I immediately made a booking (double cabin for solo use) and got the cabin I wanted! I was really thrilled. However within 30 minutes of my booking the availability disappeared from Cunard' website and is again only showing PG and above as available, so I feel as if I was very lucky to check just at that early time otherwise I would have missed the chance!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, SALAD MUNCHER said:

Just an update on my saga....been checking the Cunard website every hour or for the last couple of days so, but still only PG and above was showing as available, with all other categories listed as sold out.  However, this morning I got up early (6.30am) and whilst having my coffee waiting for dh to get up I thought I would check the Cunard website once again. Amazingly there was one category, OV (Obstructed) available. I immediately made a booking (double cabin for solo use) and got the cabin I wanted! I was really thrilled. However within 30 minutes of my booking the availability disappeared from Cunard' website and is again only showing PG and above as available, so I feel as if I was very lucky to check just at that early time otherwise I would have missed the chance!

The early bird...etc. Well done, you.

Jane

• Like 1

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

The early bird...etc. Well done, you.

Jane

Thanks Jane. I am really pleased because it is the first trip I am taking solo, and I particularly wanted to do the Around the British Isles so I would feel comfortable going on excursions alone as I am familiar with most of the ports. I have also been on the QV many times, so again a feeling of familiarity is helpful. A small stepping stone to my next adventure farther afield maybe.....

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 4:48 AM, SALAD MUNCHER said:

Excellent, I am sure you will have a wonderful voyage. 

• Like 1

SALAD MUNCHER

You may know this,but on Aug.11, the three Queen ships will be in Southampton,embarkation time is 4:30.

You are fortunate to get a cabin on n QV and to be able to see QM2 and QE all in one place !

There is a CC post by Phil50 that discusses this event on the Cunard board.

Bon voyage !

On 7/18/2019 at 1:36 PM, MJSailors said:

SALAD MUNCHER

You may know this,but on Aug.11, the three Queen ships will be in Southampton,embarkation time is 4:30.

You are fortunate to get a cabin on n QV and to be able to see QM2 and QE all in one place !

There is a CC post by Phil50 that discusses this event on the Cunard board.

Bon voyage !

I did not realise this until just after I booked! Thanks for that info I will check out the topic by Phil50. In fact I was very lucky previously as a couple of years ago I was on the QM2 175 Anniversary Trip (also around the British Isles) when the three Queens met and 'danced' in the River Mersey off Liverpool. It was amazing, fireworks, video screens, TV and Newpaper Reporters and hundreds and hundreds of people turned out to wave! It was a freezing,  windy day but I stood at the front of the QM2 on the deck below the Bridge for about 5 hours continually!

• Like 3