Chef's Table Menus - La Route Des Indes and Xiang

Cyber Kat

Now I'm looking at the dinner reservations for Chef's Table for our upcoming fall Eastern Seaboard cruise.  I think I will book the 2 Chef's Tables we are allowed, but I'm not sure which one we will do of the four shown on MyVikingJourney for our itinerary. 

My husband is a fussy eater, so it's always a challange.  I'm looking at La Route Des Indes and Xiang. 

On the first, I'm concerned with the Spicy Tuna Tataki - I would like it, but my husband won't (at least I don't think he will).  I have heard - though we have never tried, - that you can get 2 of the entrees - which is beef.  If that works, I'll eat his tuna and he can get a second helping of the beef.

On the Xiang, I'm concerned with the Hot & Sour soup, but it's only the Amuse Bouche, so maybe not an issue.  As much as I like Chinese food, I've never had it.  I looked up descriptions and recipes and there's tofu and eggs in it - neither of us eat those.

Has anyone done these 2 menus who can describe the courses?  Can you tell me what is in the Hot & Sour Soup and is it true you can order another entree?

2 minutes ago, Cyber Kat said:

Now I'm looking at the dinner reservations for Chef's Table for our upcoming fall Eastern Seaboard cruise.  I think I will book the 2 Chef's Tables we are allowed, but I'm not sure which one we will do of the four shown on MyVikingJourney for our itinerary. 

My husband is a fussy eater, so it's always a challange.  I'm looking at La Route Des Indes and Xiang. 

On the first, I'm concerned with the Spicy Tuna Tataki - I would like it, but my husband won't (at least I don't think he will).  I have heard - though we have never tried, - that you can get 2 of the entrees - which is beef.  If that works, I'll eat his tuna and he can get a second helping of the beef.

On the Xiang, I'm concerned with the Hot & Sour soup, but it's only the Amuse Bouche, so maybe not an issue.  As much as I like Chinese food, I've never had it.  I looked up descriptions and recipes and there's tofu and eggs in it - neither of us eat those.

Has anyone done these 2 menus who can describe the courses?  Can you tell me what is in the Hot & Sour Soup and is it true you can order another entree?

We did both of these dinners on our May Jupiter Cruise.  We absolutely love the Chef's Table.

However, given your husband's eating preferences, there may indeed be some items he is not interested in.  What we do when one of us doesn't care for an item is either ask the waiter to give us some alternative, and/or exchange with each other.  We have not ever asked for 2 of the entires.  Let us know if that works.  I would have liked 2 entries of the Les Indes Beef, which was absolutely outstanding.    The waiter always asks at the beginning if you have any food allergies or preferences and that is where we would tell him.  I remember having a meal on another cruise that featured lamb (which I don't eat), and they brought me a different entree (I think it was beef).

Personally, I did not think the Tuna Tartar was that spicy, but then again, I enjoy spicy food and sushi with wasabi!  Each to his own.

As for the Xiang, also enjoyed it a lot.  I remember that the Hot & Sour soup was mildly spicy for me, and noticable, so perhaps your husband would not like that.  Ask for a substitute.   And if you don't eat tofu or eggs, perhaps Xiang might not be a good menu for you.  There are other menus you probably might like better.  Hard to tell - everyone has individual tastes.

Here are some pics from Les Indies.

1219216013_IMG_5817CT-WestIndiesMenu(2).jpg.0d067de1a7f0da52b8b36dc1c0a1bd61.jpg235187360_IMG_5818CT-LaRoutedesIndes(2).jpg.49ba516f28b683a5749a202295755a98.jpg832449760_IMG_5819CarrotCardamomCream(2).jpg.fc1a35dd9eae67aa5462bf0aa24b4d4c.jpg1031552136_IMG_5822SpicyTunaTataki(2).jpg.90312eb46eabb0d3041dacaab96fca61.jpg301621333_IMG_5823GingerTarragonGranita(2).jpg.4234f08a1f79bc66a3ce0bce8be5ddbe.jpg528755874_IMG_5827BeefTenderloin4WarmSpices(2).jpg.89707e235da24f2383af878066f07a05.jpg759514848_IMG_5828AppleTartDessert(2).jpg.e9c2d537de3f73c1f6a50814a3d744fe.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Cyber Kat - here are some pics I found from the Xiang meal we had.  The beef was excellent! Hope you enjoy your cruise!

1693671631_IMG_4142ChefsTable-XiangMenu.thumb.jpg.a055570bf3cb87922bfcb514cb285516.jpg

27194359_IMG_4148Xiang-CoconutShrimp.thumb.jpg.4b143f6e9b04bd9df334ae143cc0497f.jpg1696171223_IMG_4154Xiang-WokFriedBeef.thumb.jpg.f1f5158606a71c498545f9eb8c16e10d.jpg2040459776_IMG_4155Xiang-ChilledMangoCream.thumb.jpg.636723a94d7b6ce714f00b45d92e89dc.jpg

Thanks - the beef looks delirious, but what can you tell me about the Hot and Sour Soup?

39 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

We did both of these dinners on our May Jupiter Cruise.  We absolutely love the Chef's Table.

However, given your husband's eating preferences, there may indeed be some items he is not interested in.  What we do when one of us doesn't care for an item is either ask the waiter to give us some alternative, and/or exchange with each other.  We have not ever asked for 2 of the entires.  Let us know if that works.  I would have liked 2 entries of the Les Indes Beef, which was absolutely outstanding.    The waiter always asks at the beginning if you have any food allergies or preferences and that is where we would tell him.  I remember having a meal on another cruise that featured lamb (which I don't eat), and they brought me a different entree (I think it was beef).

Personally, I did not think the Tuna Tartar was that spicy, but then again, I enjoy spicy food and sushi with wasabi!  Each to his own.

As for the Xiang, also enjoyed it a lot.  I remember that the Hot & Sour soup was mildly spicy for me, and noticable, so perhaps your husband would not like that.  Ask for a substitute.   And if you don't eat tofu or eggs, perhaps Xiang might not be a good menu for you.  There are other menus you probably might like better.  Hard to tell - everyone has individual tastes.

Here are some pics from Les Indies.

1219216013_IMG_5817CT-WestIndiesMenu(2).jpg.0d067de1a7f0da52b8b36dc1c0a1bd61.jpg235187360_IMG_5818CT-LaRoutedesIndes(2).jpg.49ba516f28b683a5749a202295755a98.jpg832449760_IMG_5819CarrotCardamomCream(2).jpg.fc1a35dd9eae67aa5462bf0aa24b4d4c.jpg1031552136_IMG_5822SpicyTunaTataki(2).jpg.90312eb46eabb0d3041dacaab96fca61.jpg301621333_IMG_5823GingerTarragonGranita(2).jpg.4234f08a1f79bc66a3ce0bce8be5ddbe.jpg528755874_IMG_5827BeefTenderloin4WarmSpices(2).jpg.89707e235da24f2383af878066f07a05.jpg759514848_IMG_5828AppleTartDessert(2).jpg.e9c2d537de3f73c1f6a50814a3d744fe.jpg

It's not so much the spiciness I'm concerned with - oddly enough I can stand Asian food spicier than Maxican.  I'm concerned with that is in the Hot and Sour Soup. Although it's only the Amuse Bouche, so it may not be worth worrying about.

My husband only eats tuna from a can 😄  If he sees that there is pink in the middle, he's not going to eat it. so I thought maybe they could help us with that course.  The rest looks wonderful!

40 minutes ago, Cyber Kat said:

Thanks - the beef looks delirious, but what can you tell me about the Hot and Sour Soup?

As I had stated earlier, we enjoyed the hot and sour soup, but it did have a nice little kick to it that I noticed - but that made it good tasting!   I'm sure you could just ask them for a substitute!  I should have taken a picture of the soup, but being the very first course, we were still "flush" with having a great seat by the window, enjoying the atmosphere, talking with the waiter, and such that I didn't think about pictures until later on.  That is why I had more pics from the later meals we had (Asian and Les Indies) at Chef's Table. 

Again- for us, it was not just the food, it was the whole ambiance - like a really special dinner made for us with nice waiters who didn't rush us, were there when we wanted but not hanging, and more.  It was also much quieter a place for us.  The Restaurant and Manfredi's were way too loud for us to carry on a conversation and although the food was good, for us the atmosphere was too raucous - more like one big party!  But each to his own.  that is why it is great there are choices.  In fact, we wonder if we went to the other restaurants in the future at 6:00 instead of 7:30 it might be a little less noisy and boisterous.

But in our opinion the Chef's Table was the best!  and on each of our 3 different ships it was the best - so obviously the food and atmosphere matches our tastes.

One of the things I like about a cruise it that it provides an opportunity to try new things... if you don't like it just move it about your plate a bit and when they come back and ask if you are finished say "Yes, thank you!" and move on to the next course. 

I have not tried the Chef Table yet. I will be taking my first Viking Cuise next year, but from what I can see there are plenty of options all over the ship. If you leave Chef's Table hungrey you wont be for long! There's always gelato! Or Room Service! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

One of the things I like about a cruise it that it provides an opportunity to try new things... if you don't like it just move it about your plate a bit and when they come back and ask if you are finished say "Yes, thank you!" and move on to the next course. 

I have not tried the Chef Table yet. I will be taking my first Viking Cuise next year, but from what I can see there are plenty of options all over the ship. If you leave Chef's Table hungrey you wont be for long! There's always gelato! Or Room Service! 

You will enjoy!   ah yes - the gelato.  Must confess, that we did sometimes (well, often) go have gelato after a dinner at Chef's Table or other restaurants.  It was quite quite tasty!!

• Like 1

We love the Chef’s Table!  We’re not foodies but for us it’s all about the atmosphere and the experience, such fun!  We’ve enjoyed 4 of the menus so far, including the 2 you’re looking at. The hot and sour soup was very good, not particularly spicy.  We did find the fried prawns to be very spicy and hailed the server for glasses of water!  We’ve also enjoyed the Norwegian and the other Asian menu.  Looking forward to dining there during our next cruise in March! 

We enjoyed all the Chefs Table meals--but we are comfortable with trying new things and experimenting.

If your husband does not like adventurous/spicy food, or trying new things, or a menu that does not provide options, then perhaps eat at the MDR (or Manfredi's or World Cafe).

It seems a little counter-intuitive to go to the Chefs Table and then not eat what is offered (unless you have a food allergy). If it is not food that you or your DH like--why eat there? The whole point of Chef's Table is to eat a set menu that the chef has prepared with specific dishes and flavors.

To knowingly go to what is a set menu (with items you know you won't eat) and then want substitutions on everything seems a little silly when you can go to the MDR or Manfredi's or World Cafe and get what suits your palate.

Just my two cents. Seems a little like setting yourself up for failure.

That being said--they are extremely accommodating and will try to serve you food that pleases. I know that I requested half portions and they were happy to oblige. We heard other diners asking for non-meat options.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

To knowingly go to what is a set menu (with items you know you won't eat) and then want substitutions on everything seems a little silly when you can go to the MDR or Manfredi's or World Cafe and get what suits your palate.

I knowingly go because my husband enjoys the food at CT. It is his vacation as much as mine and so there is a certain amount of compromising that needs to be done; it can't always be about me and my food allergies. There is not a menu at CT that I can eat without some sort of substitution (sometimes at every course) but as long as the chef is willing to accommodate us, we will go.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

Xiang is Hunan cuisine, which is close to Sichuan cuisine. Think mapo tofu and hot beef stew. It’s spicy, but not necessary hot. More tingling numbing sensation on the tongue than fire in your mouth. 

So... @Cyber Kat and anyone else... I keep seeing the Carrot and Cardamon Cream pop up... I'm s sucker for anything Cardamon, and can't wait to try those waffles... but tell me about Carrot and Cardamon Cream... I think it sounds yummy!

Typing this with a Rose Cardamon Latte by my side...

2 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

So... @Cyber Kat and anyone else... I keep seeing the Carrot and Cardamon Cream pop up... I'm s sucker for anything Cardamon, and can't wait to try those waffles... but tell me about Carrot and Cardamon Cream... I think it sounds yummy!

Typing this with a Rose Cardamon Latte by my side...

Light and airy. Carroty.

This is one of the few menus that I can eat the entire meal. Hope it is on offer on our sailing! The again, I am hoping that they also offer some of the newer menus that I have not yet had a chance to sample.

• Like 2

The "California" is available on our sailing in September.  (Also the two above mentioned menus). 

Anyone had the California.    

Chef's Table #10: California Cuisine

First Course

Crab Cake

avocado, orange, fennel, shallot, dill & blood orange

Amuse Bouche

Sweet Potato Chip

apple, rosemary, crème fraîch

Granité

Moscow Mule

vodka, ginger beer & lime juice

Main Course

Seared Halibut

California olive, herb vinaigrette, crumbled roasted cauliflower, buttered panko

Dessert

Ojai Mandarin Parfait

candied ginger

We enjoyed the Xiang menu.  I thought the soup was very flavorful - but not "spicy hot" and the coconut lemongrass  granita was fabulous - I  could have easily eaten several more portions of that!

DH is a southern "meat and potatoes" kinda guy  -(beef fried rice is exotic for him) and he really enjoyed the meal. I do admit, however, we did wander up to the WC for some gelato later on after dinner...

• Like 1

I know you are all trying to be helpful, but no one is really answering my question. We have eaten at the Chefs Table before, and enjoyed it.  We liked the wine pairings and the food and the atmosphere. We know it’s a set menu. 

I’m not the fussy one, so there’s no need to lecture me about trying new things.  There’s no need to tell me to eat in the MDR. I’m aware of the options. I’m just trying to have the opportunity to eat at the Chefs Table, and have my husband enjoy the meal also. He will try new things, but I have to find a bit of information so he knows what he’s getting into 😁

These are new menus for us and I am just trying to find one or 2 we can both enjoy.  Spiciness is not the issue.  I’m just trying to find out what is in the Hot and Sour soup. It’s not something I’ve eaten, so I can’t describe it to my husband. I was hoping to find someone who had eaten the Viking version who could describe what’s in it. I did a Google search for recipes, but they are very varied. 

On 7/16/2019 at 9:39 PM, just_dont said:

Xiang was really good. Excellent wine pairings, too.
I did ask for a second entree once, and it was no trouble at all.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks! That might help with the tuna. I could eat his without having to give up my beef 😆

On 7/16/2019 at 1:12 PM, Cyber Kat said:

Although it's only the Amuse Bouche, so it may not be worth worrying about.

Right. Not worth worrying about. It is a very small portion, a couple of man-sized mouthfuls. Tell him that if he doesn't eat his soup, he can double up on dessert.

• Like 1