Oct-Nov 2019 Persian Gulf and Hormuz Straight

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

The article may be from today, but the news is over a week old.

Nothing new.

People that will be on the upcoming cruise are interested - whether it be a week old or one day old.  Plus, different parts of the world get different news.  This is new to the U.S.

For LadyandtheTramp, It would add another country to my list! I remember reading about 2 guys that were competing for the title of Most Countries Visited, and they were sneaking into countries that were being formed in Africa, trying to bribe officials to stamp their passports. Each had visited over 300 countries. I'm nowhere near that; however, I think I should get credit for Yugoslavia.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2019 at 3:41 PM, Kinkajou said:

For LadyandtheTramp, It would add another country to my list! I remember reading about 2 guys that were competing for the title of Most Countries Visited, and they were sneaking into countries that were being formed in Africa, trying to bribe officials to stamp their passports. Each had visited over 300 countries. I'm nowhere near that; however, I think I should get credit for Yugoslavia.

Our big dispute concerns the Golan Heights.  We went there during our Israel tour, and the location on Golan where we went was, according to our Israeli paratrooper guide, formerly part of Syria. (Driving around the minefields kinda confirms this.)  Came back home, and according to the CIA Factbook (our "official" guide), where we were was identified as "Occupied Syria", and not Israel.  So I add Syria to our list of countries, but Lady doesn't believe it.  (Of course, the US has now changed its mind and is identifying the location as Israel.)

2 hours ago, LadyandtheTramp said:

Our big dispute concerns the Golan Heights.  We went there during our Israel tour, and the location on Golan where we went was, according to our Israeli paratrooper guide, formerly part of Syria. (Driving around the minefields kinda confirms this.)  Came back home, and according to the CIA Factbook (our "official" guide), where we were was identified as "Occupied Syria", and not Israel.  So I add Syria to our list of countries, but Lady doesn't believe it.  (Of course, the US has now changed its mind and is identifying the location as Israel.)

That information is extremely interesting.  We have been to a Kibbutz excursion. that is within a mile of the Syrian border.  Perhaps this was  "Occupied Syria".  Would love to add Syria to our list of countries.

I tend to believe what the people in the region call it rather than what the U.S. thinks that it is.

Edited by Travelcat2

• 1 month later...

I see tensions in this region are heating up again.  Ugh.  Definitely makes me feel more than a little bit uneasy.  With a still sold out sailing, I wonder what alternative options are under consideration by Regent, if any (other than those already mentioned here in the thread, that is).  

On 8/1/2019 at 7:02 PM, doc47 said:

My lady friend and I are on this cruise. Unless there is outright war, I have faith in the US Navy to keep the strait open and the on- board commandos to keep the ship safe...

I feel the same way.  Our cruise to that area isn't for another year but we have been in the Middle East when Regent had to change ports in Israel due to missiles being shot into the water.  If there were a serious problem, Regent would change the itinerary.

The on-board commandos are not people to mess with.  I watched how diligent they were when we sailed through the Gulf of Aden.  Of course, the US Navy is top notch!

In terms of how the ship is flagged, it is likely a good thing that Regent ships are registered in other countries.  This does make a difference (IMHO).  After the "9/11" tragedy, we stopped almost all flights out of the U.S. and prefer to fly out of and into Canada (and on non-U.S. airlines which has always been our preference).

We visited family and friends with our children and grandkids during the summer of 2014. It was the middle of the Gaza War. We were not afraid, followed instructions regarding safe bunkers, and had a simply wonderful time. When we were in Tel Aviv, the Iron Dome stopped rocket fire aimed at Tel Aviv. 

We will return when we can. Nothing will stop us from visiting Israel. 

Sheila and Herb