Pool and Gym Available During Embarkation?

Worldsurfer

1 hour ago, Worldsurfer said:

Thank you. Yes, I imagine the pool would be more easily navigated than the spa/gym areas. You just got me thinking that if possible it might just be better to go run on the dedicated track.

No  .running on the track at this time will drive you mad..  folks walking three abreast not seeing and hearing you coming....others going the wrong way round. ..and some stopping abruptly in front of you to look at something etc. etc......no, no, no....just my experience over lots of cruises. Run only when very few folks about on that deck....

• Like 2

Thank you for the candid description of what to expect, Lookyboy. I hope that a crowded track isn't always the norm as I one of the reasons that I booked was the dedicated place for runners. It didn't occur to me that it would also serve as the primary promenade for people strolling. The "dreadmill" will have to for the sail away.

Werangels, good tips and most appreciated. The raffle scene is a familiar one for this corporation. 

Just now, Worldsurfer said:

Thank you for the candid description of what to expect, Lookyboy. I hope that a crowded track isn't always the norm as I one of the reasons that I booked was the dedicated place for runners. It didn't occur to me that it would also serve as the primary promenade for people strolling. The "dreadmill" will have to for the sail away.

Werangels, good tips and most appreciated. The raffle scene is a familiar one for this corporation. 

You will find your own time to use the running track and avoid those who share it with runners and joggers. For me, it is usually about 07.30, before it is too hot, and when purposeful walkers are also out and about before their breakfast, so everyone realises that direction is important and awareness of others coming through is essential to avoid bumps and spillage of coffee and other such events that can happen on a shared space such as the track. If very busy, I reduce to walking with purpose at a good raised heart rate. ENJOY.

On 7/20/2019 at 10:07 PM, Worldsurfer said:

You won’t have an issue using the walking/jogging track for the most part.  Remember it’s a small ship so 13 laps = 1 nautical mile!

Phil

On 7/20/2019 at 5:07 PM, Worldsurfer said:

I found myself getting a little dizzy on the track because it's so small, which surprised me.  I had to switch to the treadmill for my runs.  I'd also research running tours in your ports--there are a lot of them out there.

• Like 1

It’s not a dedicated track it’s the walkway on Deck 10 used by walkers, runners, those seeking to go from aft to forward on Deck 10 including guys with bar supply trolleys. Usually everyone coexists no problem so OP should be ok with due allowances - hence my point about ooh and aaa on embarkation which will be from those onboard not ashore

I think the OP needs to follow up with whoever said it was a dedicated track and update them!

• Like 1

l appreciate the information on times and distance. 

Good mention of the carts/trolleys. That I hadn't anticipated. I like to think that I am a cooperative, respectful runner, so I'll definitely defer to pedestrian traffic. 

For those of you who track their runs, you will understand when I say that my favorite maps of my runs are those that show ovals over a blue sea!

I run alone, so I am a little hesitant about running in ports, but I will investigate.

Thank you for mentioning balance issues. Since I'm a surfer, it will be interesting to see if this is a factor.

Thanks to all of you for helping run enough calories to enjoy the pasta!

2 hours ago, Worldsurfer said:

I run alone, so I am a little hesitant about running in ports, but I will investigate.

There are running tours with guides--cost depends on distance, if you're looking for a private or group tour, etc.  They usually get great reviews on Trip Advisor.  I had a couple booked for our British Isles cruise, as a I was training for a half marathon, but had to cancel the tours due to an Achilles injury.  Still managed the half marathon a few months later by using run/walk intervals, though!

23 hours ago, hiccups said:

I found myself getting a little dizzy on the track because it's so small, which surprised me.  I had to switch to the treadmill for my runs.  I'd also research running tours in your ports--there are a lot of them out there.

I sometimes felt a little dizzy too. Also, I strained my ankle a bit. I think it was from rounding so many curves on that small track. 

Just now, hiccups said:

Or check out possible parkruns wherever you are on a Saturday? Depending on which ship, some of the officers and crew enjoy a shore run, which you may be able to join if you get to know about it in time.