Holland Premium Protection plan - coverage end date?

SempreMare

Before I started reading Cruise Critic and especially this sub-forum, I booked my upcoming first cruise in eons to Alaska on Holland America totally on whim. 

I purchased Holland America's Premium Cancellation Plan mostly for the cancel for any reason part of the plan. 

( In hindsight, if only I had been buddies with @GeezerCouple , I would have called them.  They would have given me much better advice to call Steve @ Trip Insurance Store.  I then would have purchased a better policy for less $.   However, I did do the smarter thing thanks to reading  @GeezerCouple and others posts before I booked my Norway cruise!)  

Full disclosure:  Before reading this forum and the first hand experiences of others, I never actually considered the need for medical coverage when I travel.  I travel extensively for work both domestically and internationally.  Less extensively for fun ;-).

Alaska Itinerary:  Anchorage (Seward) to Vancouver.   

Domestic insurance is with Aetna via my employer.   100% coverage in network.  0% coverage out of network.   

Therefore, I decided to pretend I needed hospitalization in each Alaska port.  Aetna actually provides a LOT coverage in Alaska.  CHECK!

Vancouver...    I will be in Vancouver for 3 days after my cruise ends.  Then home.

Am I covered for these 3 days after the cruise in Vancouver via the expensive Holland America Premium Plan? 

From reading the full policy PDF, I think the answer = Yes based on

a) below,  and the fact that my scheduled return date = 3 days after the cruise.

Any thoughts? 

===== relevant part 

WHEN YOUR COVERAGE ENDS - Your coverage will end at 11:59 P.M. local time on the date that is the earliest of the following: 

(a) the Scheduled Return Date as stated on the travel tickets; 

(b) the date You return to Your origination point if prior to the Scheduled Return Date; 

(c) the date You leave or change the Trip (unless due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances covered by the Policy); 

(d) if You extend the return date, coverage will terminate at 11:59 P.M., local time, at Your location on the Scheduled Return Date, unless otherwise authorized by the Company in advance of the Scheduled Return Date; 

(e) the date Your Trip is cancelled; 

(f) when Your Trip exceeds one hundred twenty (120) days. 

from:  the full insurance coverage PDF for Texas residents

https://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/HAL_CPP_Platinum_MA_OK_TN_TX_COI.pdf

I would be double checking the actual end date of the insurance.  It may depend on who is managing the transportation arrangements.

Your profile indicates you are from Texas...are you arranging air and post-cruise hotel on your own?  If so, the HAL insurance may only cover the parts of the trip that you've paid HAL directly for...which is the cruise itself.  The premium amount you pay may not cover any third-party travel arrangements.  

My original thought was exactly what @msmayor posted.  Then, after reading the PDF it sounds like you might be OK. Even if you booked air separately, you still seem to be covered because you are within the 14 days (see below).  Did you book the hotel through HAL?  If so, that is good.  If not, might there any items that would not be covered during the post cruise period? I am guessing there would be no cancellation and interruption benefits for a hotel not purchased through HAL.  Hopefully the other benefits should still apply.  

One minor concern is the use of several terms in the policy with the word "date" such as "dates of travel" and "scheduled Trip dates" without clear definitions.  I would call HAL or the insurance company and see what they tell you.  If you get an answer, please let us know. 

Here is an excerpt from the PDF

Travel Arrangements means:

• (a) transportation; (b) accommodations; and (c) other specified services arranged by the Travel Supplier for the Trip.
  • Air arrangements covered by this definition also include any direct round trip air flights booked by others, to and from the scheduled Trip departure and return cities, provided the dates of travel for the air flights are within fourteen (14) total days of the scheduled Trip dates.

Travel Supplier means Holland America Line.

• Like 1

However -

Section B under Extended Coverage states that only air travel is covered if the return is more than two days after land/sea arrangements made by travel supplier (Holland America).

Does this mean medical is no longer in effect on day 3?  

That is why you need to call for clarification. We are all seeing something different, and you need a definitive answer.

I, too, would like the answer when you get it.

Edited by Babr
Added terminology for clarity