Need ship WiFi to book entertainment in RC app?

I am cruising next month so I just downloaded the RC app on my phone.  Browsing the different features in the app, I can see it says I can book activities and entertainment once I am on board the ship.  My question is, do I need to connect to the ship's WiFi in order to book entertainment/activities?  Is that how app determines that I am indeed on board the ship?  Or does the app use my phone's GPS location to determine if I'm on the ship, so I can use my cellphone data to book entertainment?  

If I need to connect to the ship WiFi in order to use the RC app to book entertainment, does that mean I have to purchase an Internet data package from RC for my cruise?  I'm wondering if just connecting to the ship WiFi hotspot without buying a data package will allow the RC app to work. 

Thanks @Host Clarea and @fdthird!  Let me get this straight.  I don't have to purchase the VOOM internet package.  If I just connect my phone to the ship's WiFi, the RC app will work and I can book activities, dining, entertainment, etc. once I am on board.  Cool!

18 minutes ago, wtang said:

Thanks @Host Clarea and @fdthird!  Let me get this straight.  I don't have to purchase the VOOM internet package.  If I just connect my phone to the ship's WiFi, the RC app will work and I can book activities, dining, entertainment, etc. once I am on board.  Cool!

Correct.  Ignore any prompts to log in or purchase VOOM.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 7:29 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Personally I would book the entertainment ahead of time through the cruise planner.  There may not be a lot of availability if you leave it until on board 

I'm sailing on Adventure of the Seas in just a few weeks and the RC app on my phone says I can only book entertainment and activities once I am on board the ship. I also tried logging onto the RC website and there are no entertainment and activities to book.  On the Cruise Planner I only see excursions, dining, internet, spa, etc.  Maybe the AOTS ship doesn't allow pre-booking these things?  Are the nightly shows, Flowrider, ice skating, etc. only first come first serve on this ship?

5 hours ago, wtang said:

I'm sailing on Adventure of the Seas in just a few weeks and the RC app on my phone says I can only book entertainment and activities once I am on board the ship. I also tried logging onto the RC website and there are no entertainment and activities to book.  On the Cruise Planner I only see excursions, dining, internet, spa, etc.  Maybe the AOTS ship doesn't allow pre-booking these things?  Are the nightly shows, Flowrider, ice skating, etc. only first come first serve on this ship?

Sorry, I assumed that since you mentioned booking entertainment that you were on an Oasis class ship.

On Adventure you do not reserve entertainment either before or on board, it is all first come first served.

• Like 1