Emerald Princess/Medallions

Knickearth

I notice  that my cruise this year on the Emerald Princess is offering the medallions/wifi.  Does this cost extra?  Do you get free wifi?  Is getting the medallion worth it?  And how do you get the medalllion or do you wait until you are onboard?

Thanks much for any help

If you're on a medallion cruise, you'll be given a medallion, which takes place of the old fashion cruise cards. Unlocks your cabin door, and links to your Credit card like the cabin let card. Medallion offers medallion high speed internet (works wonderfully, based off of your itinerary location), yes you pay to use it, unless your platinum or elite where you still receive you free minutes. to order your medallion when you get closer to your cruise you can download an app onto your smartphone or tablet called  ocean ready. you feel that all of your travel documents and personal information on there and then there's a spot to order your medallion which is free of cost and when you get closer to your cruise it will be shipped.

From what I've read on the Princess website:

Princess MedallionClass Ships: Caribbean Princess® | Crown Princess® | Regal Princess® | Royal Princess®

Coming soon to:  Sky Princess® (10/12/19), Ruby Princess® (1/27/20), Grand Princess® (3/29/20), Enchanted Princess® (6/15/20), Emerald Princess® (8/16/20), Coral Princess® (10/16/20), and Island Princess® (12/20/20).

However, there will be Medallion Net on the Emerald.

23 minutes ago, Knickearth said:

I notice  that my cruise this year on the Emerald Princess is offering the medallions/wifi.  Does this cost extra?  Do you get free wifi?  Is getting the medallion worth it?  And how do you get the medalllion or do you wait until you are onboard?

The confusion is, MedallionNet and OceanMedallion are different things. I believe the ship has to be wired for MedallionNet to go to OceanMedallion, but other things have to happen, too -- like the gizmos on EVERY CABIN DOOR!

That's why EmeraldP is just about to get MedallionNet activation (if she hasn't already), but another year before OceanMedallion is scheduled. I had bought 28-days for the initial sale price of $129.99, so if that sale is still on, you should grab it before sailing. I did cancel that cruise and the MedallionNet payment was immediately refunded to the credit card.

I see that even Golden Princess is going to have MedallionNet by next June, which totally surprised me as she will be already signed over to P&O Australia (but still sailing for Princess) for several months. I care nothing for OceanMedallion but reasonable internet/wifi is good to keep in touch with family.

1 hour ago, Knickearth said:

Thanks much for any help

Medallion Net is the name for the fast internet. It should be available on the Emerald Princess in a few weeks. Yes, you have to pay for internet connections. There will be various plans available in the cruise personlizer or you can wait until you are on board. Medallion Net does not work with a Medallion. It works with a connection to your own smart device, or you can use the on board desk top PC's in the internet cafe. There are also some on board intranet services available, for example an on line Princess Patter, send texts to other designated passengers, deck plans, checking your on board account and other things. There is no charge to use the intranet. Remember to place your smart device in Airplane Mode while on board.

Medallion Class is an entirely different animal. It is an RFD device that basically replaces the cruise card and offers other on board things which you may find useful. There is no charge for the medallion. The Emerald is scheduled to be Medallion Class in August 2020. For your 2019 cruise you will use a cruise card.

17 hours ago, crystalspin said:

The confusion is, MedallionNet and OceanMedallion are different things. I believe the ship has to be wired for MedallionNet to go to OceanMedallion, but other things have to happen, too -- like the gizmos on EVERY CABIN DOOR!

That's why EmeraldP is just about to get MedallionNet activation (if she hasn't already), but another year before OceanMedallion is scheduled. I had bought 28-days for the initial sale price of $129.99, so if that sale is still on, you should grab it before sailing. I did cancel that cruise and the MedallionNet payment was immediately refunded to the credit card.

I see that even Golden Princess is going to have MedallionNet by next June, which totally surprised me as she will be already signed over to P&O Australia (but still sailing for Princess) for several months. I care nothing for OceanMedallion but reasonable internet/wifi is good to keep in touch with family.

thanks so very very much for the wonderful explanation.  I didn't even know there were two medallion options

thanksagain