Steak Quality - Steakhouse vs. MDR Upcharge

34 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

A headwaiter on that ship suggested to request it be cooked in the steakhouse instead of the dining room when ordering it in the MDR.

As overworked as the waiters are and as understaffed as the MDR is, I can't see this happening on Carnival.

12 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Although not on Carnival, the way the food was prepared certainly caused for differences while recently on the Regal Princess. Supposedly it was the same steak used as the Crown Grill but it tasted differently than earlier that week when ordering in the steakhouse. A headwaiter on that ship suggested to request it be cooked in the steakhouse instead of the dining room when ordering it in the MDR.

I would probably skip the upgrades and just go with the steakhouse in the future unless there was nothing I liked on the menu. I’m curious as well to the feedback of this on Carnival for comparison.

If you sail a Royal class Princess ship again and enjoy a nice meal I recommend the Winemaker's table.  It was only $40 pp when we sailed in 2017, limited to a table of 12 (exceptional service), and free-flowing wine throughout the meal.  It is a set menu (unless you have a dietary restriction), but all the courses were wonderful and it was the best filet I've ever had. 

We've tried specialty restaurants on Carnival, RCCL, and NCL and while we could understand why they had an up-charge they were not that impressive - especially compared to land counterparts.