Dance Floors?

SabreSailor

Hello Sabresailor

I have seen the occasional dance partners in the Living Room dancing to the music played by the pianist on the grand piano.  I think people can request music to dance to but it is a limited space.  Torshavn has a small dance floor in the evening but I don’t think it is the traditional dancing you asked about.  There is also sometimes a  ‘dancing under the stars’ around the central pool area, but once again not foxtrot etc.  

We love dancing and were disappointed with the dancing opportunities on Viking.  Torshavn had a dance floor that was so small you could hardly dance on it.  We danced there but most evenings the music wasn't good to dance to.  We thought the Living Room was an excellent place to dance, but no one danced there. We would have loved doing that but were kind of shy since no one else was dancing.  Once we went up to the Explorers Lounge and made a request of the piano player, and danced to our song.  I heard that a few others danced after we left.  We were talking about this with a few other couples, and they said they too were disappointed with the lack of dancing. I really think it only takes one couple to start dancing, then others will.  Next cruise I think we will be braver and try to get dancing started.  

We found the house band in Torshavn fantastic for dancing, but the music selection was more contemporary - which is what we like. The band was very versatile and they did play some big band type music and some selections that would work foxtrot etc. -  Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, that sort of standards.   I think they were responding to requests, as there were several couples dancing.  The floor did clear out enough so they had room for that style - not a huge dance floor, but it seemed to work for those who were doing it. 

Don’t be put off by what the house band is playing.  Most cruise bands have a broad repertoire and might surprise you.  Chat with them when they take a break.  I have found that like most of the staff on the ship, they aim to please. 

Once they knew they had an audience for that style, they mixed up the sets each night. 

This made me giggle...On our first Ocean cruise, we went to Torshavn as we too like to dance.  There was a couple dancing who thought they were amazing (she told me that herself!).  Honestly, there were so many trying not to laugh it was bad!  We left as I got the giggles!

We liked the living room area and danced several times there.

I agree with Cyber Kat that the House bands usually will play requests for music that are good for dancing e.g. 60s, 70s Motown etc. On our 3 ocean cruises the house bands were from the Philippines and were outstanding musicians. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, zitsky said:

Is the living room big enough that there is room for dancing?  I thought you would keep tripping over people.  (asking for a friend)

The musicians who play in the Living Room are the Classical Trio, the Guitar soloist and the pianist. They don’t generally play music conducive to dancing, though I guess you could dance there if the mood struck you 😁

Torshaven is where the house band plays and that dance floor was adequate for a decent number of dancers. There was also a lot of dancing around the pool at the Beatles tribute.