Best time for Norway cruise

Don’t choose based on weather (unless you’re comparing seasons). The weather varies drastically from year to year, and while sometimes one month is sunny and warm, the next year it might rain every day. Additionally, Norway has an extraordinary number of microclimates, so weather often varies significantly within a day or between areas just a kilometer or two apart.

What part of June? What part of August?

The end of August is starting to be shoulder season and may be less crowded. In the past, mid- to late August typically started to be a bit cool, but for the past few years that has been the case less often.

June is generally considered the start of high season, but in early June, some mountain roads could potentially still be closed (depending on the year’s weather conditions), and a few tourist services don’t start operating until mid-June. The end of June is the midnight sun above the Arctic Circle, which could be of interest or could be an annoyance depending on your tastes.

I’ve heard people say that earlier in the season the waterfalls hav more volume due to snow melt in the mountains, but I haven’t noticed a major difference in the famous falls. Earlier in the summer sees more small seasonal falls, but most of the named waterfalls are still flowing fine in August.

Edited by kaisatsu

I would go for June, a bit of snow on the mountain tops make them more picturesque and can be good clear days - though I am not a local, so defer to the previous poster for more details.  Seas can start to get rougher coming into September as well and the long hours of daylight are great as you can sit in an observation lounge at night looking out.

June is also a good time to visit other parts of Europe if you are making a combined trip.  Lots of tourists and higher prices in August, as well as more children as the European school hols tend to be late July/August and can start to get rainy later in the summer in the northern UK for example.

Depends were your cruise starts from as well. 

We were on the Princess "Land of the Midnight Sun" cruise last month (June 15 - June 29).  We chose that date specifically to experience the midnight sun; it never set during our 4 days (a sea day after Tronheim, Honningsvag, Tromso, and the Lofoten Islands) above the Arctic Circle.  The weather varied from quite warm in Bergen, Tronheim and upon our return to Southampton to needing layers, hat and gloves at Honningsvag but there was very little rain so we had no complaints.

I would definitely go with the June 13. The Midnight Sun is a neat bonus. And the August sailing is quite late, so you’d be pushing September. It starts after the high season, so several tourist services may have closed up shop for the year.

Additionally, since you did originally ask about weather, the tail end of August will likely be significantly cooler (especially up north) as September is generally the start of autumn.