Changes on Princess

Sanz

1 hour ago, dbeckett said:

We have sailed on the Regal and Majestic.  The Balcony was petite to the point we will not book a Royal class ship in future

Have you considered an aft facing Suite with the larger wraparound balcony?   Not that must more money,  and well with it if you must have a larger balcony.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We're in our mid 60s and I have to say we just got finished with a 12 day family cruise around the UK on the Crown and only have good things to say about our experience. We were particularly impressed with the CD and his 6 assistant CDs who were all great!!! It was also great having multiple evening shows to go to along with a variety of things to do on sea days as well as port days! As far as food goes, we mostly ate breakfast and dinner in the MDR and lunch up at the buffet and always were quite happy with the quality and quantity.

Now, I will say this was our first time on Princess in quite awhile and really don't remember how it used to be. However, we can definitely say when comparing Princess' current onboard activities with that of HAL or Oceania on similar itineraries, Princess wins hands down. However, when comparing Princess to Celebrity with similar itineraries, it will probably come down to the cost of a Princess mini-suite versus a Celebrity Sky Suite.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

On 8/1/2019 at 11:18 AM, SargassoPirate said:

We just bring in our balcony chairs.

Agree.  We got sucked into a cruise on the Ruby, good fare with a non-refundable deposit.  Cruising with some friends. THEN we learn that the barrel chairs are being removed.  A boneheaded decision by some bean counter that will surely cause a flood of complaints to corporate.  Stuck with the cruise, I plan on taking a portable foldup beach chair on board to use in my cabin.  We'll be on land several days before the cruise and I'll find one at a discount store somewhere.  

coleman-cooler-chair.w600.h396.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 9:01 AM, MishelleMcc said:

I thought I read that you just have to ask your Steward for a barrel chair if you want it.  Can someone clarify?  Thank you!!

Someone probably called and that's the answer they got. Now...Logically why would they remove the chairs only to have to put them in storage until someone asked for one? 

• Like 2

I've only been on princess for 5 years and not noticed any across the board changes. Different experience on different princess ships. I think the shorter the trip the more likely you'll get younger people, this is logic. The food is not always the same on Golden, Sun, Sea, Majestic and Emerald (The boats I've been on). The staff are always exceptional no matter what and the main reason I stay with princess.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 5:05 PM, TriumphGuy said:

No more barrel chairs in standard balcony cabins and below, fleet-wide. Deal-breaker for us. We're trying HAL for our TA next April.

Totally agree! Having that chair is very important! I wish they had not removed them....😢

We try to book mini-suites, but they are not always available, and the balcony rooms,  though small need that extra chair!!! 👍 

I have never found Princess staterooms  to be comfortable in terms of space. It’s even worse on the newer ships with the small balcony. I have no idea where I would sit waiting for my wife to get ready. We usually book ocean view rooms. I’m not about to pay to check a camping chair on the airline. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I have never found Princess staterooms  to be comfortable in terms of space. It’s even worse on the newer ships with the small balcony. I have no idea where I would sit waiting for my wife to get ready. We usually book ocean view rooms. I’m not about to pay to check a camping chair on the airline. 

I don't plan on checking my camping chair with the airline either - they do a good enough job destroying my bags so I don't think an aluminum frame chair would hold up.  However, my plan is to buy one before we get on the ship - we always add on some land days before boarding so I should be able to find one. Then, my plan includes passing it along to either the room steward or an arriving passenger in the terminal.  Our next cruise with Princess is a 29 night transocean and I don't plan on bringing a balcony chair inside every time I want to sit down in my cabin.

Cheap, short-sighted bean counters have soured us on Princess.  If I could cancel our next cruise I would, but we are traveling with a group and have non-refundable deposits.

0fdf3510-33b5-4c86-b49b-5b770998b19c_1.3388d20494c6c19fb9c4b40dbeb3c2ef.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

I don't plan on checking my camping chair with the airline either - they do a good enough job destroying my bags so I don't think an aluminum frame chair would hold up.  However, my plan is to buy one before we get on the ship - we always add on some land days before boarding so I should be able to find one. Then, my plan includes passing it along to either the room steward or an arriving passenger in the terminal.  Our next cruise with Princess is a 29 night transocean and I don't plan on bringing a balcony chair inside every time I want to sit down in my cabin.

Cheap, short-sighted bean counters have soured us on Princess.  If I could cancel our next cruise I would, but we are traveling with a group and have non-refundable deposits.

I think you should save it for your next cruise or camping trip.