Juneau visiting Mendenhall Glacier 2019

Billthekid

Just back from Alaska Cruise 7/19.  Four of us wanted to visit the glacier.  Shuttle Bus was $45 each RT, or $180.  So we selected the taxi route from the pier.  Price was $32-34 for all four of us, but they add a $12 per person fee supposedly for the permit to enter the area.  It will be $17 if you do not have the Golden Age pass.  Had pass so $82 for four of us outbound.  The return was just the meter of $34 for total of $116/for 4.  I said that fee appears excessive and so I asked the Ranger why so high and was told the fee is only $2 for the taxi to have access, but the taxi company throws on the extra to gorge the tourist.  Rates are fixed by the city and a review of their web site reflects there are no additional fees authorized.  So discuss this with your driver to document what exactly is the fee for beside ripping off the customer.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.  We want to go up there next year on our cruise.  Yeah the rate does seem high, but I think a car rental would be close to $100 then you have to mess around with getting the car and returning and filling with gas. 

Were taxis readily available when you wanted to leave?

We rented a car from Avis and drove ourselves to Mendenhall, Eagle Beach, the Shrine and the end of the road.  We were able to stop at Fred Meyer and pick up a couple of things we needed/wanted.  We enjoyed being able to do things on our time.  There was gas right near downtown, so not a big deal to refill.  

I contacted the City of Juneau and they provided the taxi regulations from the police department.  The $12 fee is not authorized per the following Rules and Regulations.  The driver must also provide in plain sight the official rate card that must be followed.  The regulations:

20 CBJAC 40.520 - Class A endorsement.

(a)

A Class A endorsement shall authorize the holder to provide taxi services subject to the following conditions:

(1)

A certificate endorsed for Class A service may not be endorsed for any other type of service.

(2)

The certificate shall require the service to operate and maintain no fewer than six vehicles. At least three of the vehicles shall be in service at all times.

(3)

Taxicab passengers shall be charged only at the rates specified in this section.

(A)

Flag drop. $3.40 shall be the initial starting fare to be charged for all taxicab services except for charter or battery jump services. No mileage, waiting time, or other charges are included in the charge for flag drop.

(B)

Mileage rate. The rate of $0.22 for each one-tenth mile shall be charged and measured by taximeter.

(C)

Waiting time. The rate of $0.75 for each minute of waiting time shall be measured by the taximeter and charged to the customer. Waiting time shall be charged when stopped and during traffic delays. Time and mileage shall be charged alternately and not concurrently.

(D)

Taxi tour rate. The rate of $70.00 per hour shall be charged to a passenger for the reservation of the services of the vehicle. The minimum charge for a taxi tour is $35.00 for up to one half-hour of service. For taxi tour service in excess of the minimum half-hour charge, the time may be calculated in ten minute increments for which the charge is $12.00. No other units of time or charges are allowed.

(E)

Extra adult passenger. A charge of $0.50 shall be added to the fare for each passenger over the age of 12 years and each bag in excess of two per passenger. This charge does not apply if there is only one passenger over the age of 12 years. This charge does not apply to the taxi tour rate.

(F)

Delivery charge. A charge of $3.00 shall be added to the mileage rate for transport and delivery of items without a passenger. This does not apply to the taxi tour rate.

(G)

Battery jump. The rate for providing an electrical boost to the battery of another vehicle shall be a charge of ..... $20.00

(H)

Airport to and from destination fee ..... $1.00

(I)

Cruise Ship Dock to and from destination fee ..... $1.00

(J)

Customer soilage of taxi fee ..... $100.00

Note: Licensee recovery of this fee shall be by civil process only.

(K)

Mendenhall Glacier fee ..... $1.50

(4)

Every taxicab operated under the provisions of this chapter shall be equipped with a rate card provided by the city, setting forth the schedule of fares and charges. The rate card shall be posted inside the vehicle in a location visible to passengers.

(5)

Taxis shall be limited to vehicles designed to carry no more than eleven passengers including the driver.

(6)

The holder of a certificate endorsed for Class A service shall maintain one central place of business owned or leased by the holder and operated by the holder at which all business records shall be available for inspection, and from which all of the holder's taxis and no other taxis shall be dispatched. The central place of business is not required by these regulations to be available for walk-in service to the public.

Edited by Billthekid

I think the whole thing verges on price gouging.  In 2011 when I first went, the shuttles were $18 RT, which gave them a healthy profit, I'm sure, without taking advantage of the tourists.  Now it's $45.  Yes, there's a new smallish fee levied by Mendenhall Glacier itself, but if you subtract that, it's still like 220% or more inflation.  Have wages risen that much in the last 8 years?  Have prices of other things?  Taxi gouging doesn't surprise me either.  I think if I were in a group of 4, I might rent a car and explore elsewhere too.  And if I were alone, I'd take the city bus (of course, I like walking and I've been to Juneau multiple times, so the slowness of the city bus wouldn't bother me).  🙂