Info on Brest

lmentzer

We'll be stopping in Brest next April and I'm having trouble finding much info on the port and what we might do while there.  First, can anyone tell me where the ship would dock?  I'd also appreciate any suggestions on what to do while there.  Can you see most everything by just walking, or do we need to book a tour?  Suggestions on tour groups?  

I cannot help re docking and shuttles, but if you Google 'Office de Tourisme Brest' you will find their web page with lots of suggestions of where to go, eat etc. You can change the language to English if your French isn't up to it.

No need for a tour group. Océanopolis is well worth a visit if you're at all interested in the sea.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be there next month.  From my research, there wasn't much to see/do in Brest.  There are some nice villages not far from Brest that many people visit while in Brest.  I am in a group from my roll call that is going to Quimper and Locronan.  They look like lovely cities and should be a great day.

• 9 months later...
On 8/18/2019 at 11:42 AM, MVPinBoynton said:

We will be there next month.  From my research, there wasn't much to see/do in Brest.  There are some nice villages not far from Brest that many people visit while in Brest.  I am in a group from my roll call that is going to Quimper and Locronan.  They look like lovely cities and should be a great day.

That is exactly what we wont to do while docked in Brest next year.  Would you mind sharing what company/ guide you used for this excursion?

2 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

That is exactly what we wont to do while docked in Brest next year.  Would you mind sharing what company/ guide you used for this excursion?

The company we used was set up by someone else.  We had 20 people that wanted to go, so they used a full size bus, which gave everyone plenty of room.  You can read about and see lots of photos of our day in the port of Brest on my website, which is linked to in my signature.  Go to page 4 of the Vineyards and Castles cruise.  The company we used wahttps://www.coach-hire-france.com.  It was a most enjoyable tour.

1 hour ago, MVPinBoynton said:

The company we used was set up by someone else.  We had 20 people that wanted to go, so they used a full size bus, which gave everyone plenty of room.  You can read about and see lots of photos of our day in the port of Brest on my website, which is linked to in my signature.  Go to page 4 of the Vineyards and Castles cruise.  The company we used wahttps://www.coach-hire-france.com.  It was a most enjoyable tour.

I thought I'd read all of your blogs, but didn't remember reading this one.  Thanks very much!

If you like it closer to port; the public bus and tram in Brest is pretty good;

I recommend visiting the old fortress which is towering above the port (good Audio-Guide)

and if you like such things, the Aquarium is pretty nice and has some cute sea otters and penguins.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

With the passage of time, since the OP, is anyone able to suggest where cruise ships actually dock?

I'd be hoping to visit the Musee de la Marine, followed by a nice lunch. I've spotted several possible restaurants along the nearby Quai de la Doaune.

TIA