Ovation of the Seas 7-Day Alaska Cruise **LONG Review**

24 minutes ago, debbie4414 said:

Did they open the solarium pool up for kids to use?  I believe this is the only indoor pool correct?

There are three total pools. One family pool outdoors, one indoor family pool, and the Solarium pool. Each has hot tubs as well. They do not open the Solarium up to kids under 16 but you have that other indoor option. 

Edited by SacCaliCruiser

• 3 months later...

Did your children take part in the kids clubs? We have an 8yr, 11yr, 14yr old that I'm asking for, lol.  One is an introvert (14yr old), but the other ones will most likely enjoy being social butterflies.  I'm super excited about venturing to Alaska and we are on the same ship as well! Thanks so much for the details. Not sure about the wristband, is this included in the fare or extra cost to do the IFly, Bumper cars, etc?  Also did you buy arcade cards? Not sure if I need to buy beforehand or just not visit the Arcade at all. The RCI website is less user friendly, that's why I'm here on cruise critic. TIA!

On 12/2/2019 at 11:25 AM, Laugh-N-Loudly said:

Did your children take part in the kids clubs? We have an 8yr, 11yr, 14yr old that I'm asking for, lol.  One is an introvert (14yr old), but the other ones will most likely enjoy being social butterflies.  I'm super excited about venturing to Alaska and we are on the same ship as well! Thanks so much for the details. Not sure about the wristband, is this included in the fare or extra cost to do the IFly, Bumper cars, etc?  Also did you buy arcade cards? Not sure if I need to buy beforehand or just not visit the Arcade at all. The RCI website is less user friendly, that's why I'm here on cruise critic. TIA!

Our kids did not do the kids club. My older daughter did join a teen meetup on the first night (information about this will be in your cruise compass in your room) but she also is shy and didn't go to other teen activities. One thing to know, the 8-yo and 11-yo will be grouped together and 12 and up are in a separate group in the kids club.

The Wow band is an extra cost, I can't remember how much but I think it is around $7/band. The only advantage to having the band is it's easier to wear around the ship and not risk losing your key card. We just brought lanyards for our key cards.

I'm not sure I understand if you are asking if iFly, bumper cars, etc. are an extra cost. They do not cost extra but some activities require you to reserve them ahead of time or on the ship. I can get more specific if you can let me know what you'd like to know. I agree if you are a first-time cruiser like we were the process is not straight forward at all. For instance you had to go get special wrist bands at the iFly desk to do the Flowrider and rollerskating. Once you have the wrist bands, you still have to wait in line for the activity. We waited in a long roller skating line only to find out when we got to the front that we needed the wristbands.

The advantage to buying the arcade cards ahead of time is they are slightly discounted. Our kids liked the arcade - and don't get me wrong they spent a fair amount of time in there - but they thought it was a little small.

Hope this helps! The good news is once you are on board there are lots of places to get the information you need. It's just the planning part that gets confusing.

Edited by SacCaliCruiser

12 hours ago, SacCaliCruiser said:

For instance you had to go get special wrist bands at the iFly desk to do the Flowrider and rollerskating. Once you have the wrist bands, you still have to wait in line for the activity. We waited in a long roller skating line only to find out when we got to the front that we needed the wristbands.

The advantage to buying the arcade cards ahead of time is they are slightly discounted. Our kids liked the arcade - and don't get me wrong they spent a fair amount of time in there - but they thought it was a little small.

Hope this helps! The good news is once you are on board there are lots of places to get the information you need. It's just the planning part that gets confusing.

Hi SacCaliCruiser,

Thanks so much for your response, it has been most helpful! Yes I was asking about the wristbands, but it sounds like I don't need to get them, if I have lanyards to use for the kiddos key cards. I like to plan so the more details I get beforehand is helpful.  I didn't know Ovation of the Seas had a rollerskating rink!?! I thought I saw Bumper cars, The North Star, IFly, Flowrider, Rock climbing wall as the highlights from RCI website page.  I will most likely buy an arcade card beforehand, thanks for the tip.  Also did you find being extra early to various hot spots were helpful in securing a spot or just going random times during the day more effective in doing IFly vs North Star, vs Rockclimbing wall?     We are a family game night type of family didn't know if this was something the ship offered, board games and or trivia nights for all ages.  TIA!

58 minutes ago, Laugh-N-Loudly said:

Your family will have so much fun on the Ovation! Although some of the trivia and game shows are adult-oriented and later in the evening, they also have activities such as family scavenger hunts, game shows such as "name that tune," family bingo (for an additional cost) and dance lessons. They also have a library and cardroom with board games with some dedicated board game times.

The rollerskating is in the indoor "Seaplex," which is the same venue as bumper cars, basketball and dodge ball and even a circus school - all at different times.

If you haven't already, look in the cruise planner on the RC website (log in and click on "plan my cruise" to get there). You need to reserve times for Northstar and iFly and can only do that on the Cruise Planner (if they are available) or once you are onboard. I recommend going to the iFly desk as soon as you board to reserve time slots for that. The other activities - Flow Rider, Bumper Cars, Rockwall, etc. - have dedicated times that they are open that will be listed in your Cruise Compass once you board. If you can see it, I posted a PDF with photos of our Cruise Compasses in a previous post, which should give you an idea of what it will look like. My main advice would be to expect crowds and lines at some venues and to try to be zen about it and you'll meet some really great people and have a fantastic time.

• Like 1

I'll add that activities such as scavenger hunts, roller skating and bumper cars often had long lines before they started *and* a parent must be there in line to give the kids permission to participate in SeaPlex stuff.  The activities on our sailing always seemed to be in high demand.  You couldn't always just show up for North Star or iFly.  As long as you are flexible with your plans, you'll have plenty to do.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi

We’re looking at the Serenade or Ovation to Alaska this summer but are wondering what route Ovation takes up to Alaska?  The Serenade sails the passage between the mainland and Vancouver island but we haven’t been able to find a map on the RCCL website (nor were they able to tell me on the phone) if Ovation just sails out of Seattle into the Pacific and then to the Alaskan Inside passage or takes the BC inside passage route as well.

Hope the above makes sense and thanks for your help!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking for input on dining time to see the welcome aboard show. If you have the early 5 time, do you finish in time to get decent seats for the show? I currently have MyTime but considering switching to a traditional time.

3 minutes ago, BLAMBKY said:

I am looking for input on dining time to see the welcome aboard show. If you have the early 5 time, do you finish in time to get decent seats for the show? I currently have MyTime but considering switching to a traditional time.

If you really want to see the welcome show then I suggest the buffet which is very good.

Lot more folks go to buffet to accommodate schedule of activities.

As I recall the show is around 9pm.

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 8/13/2020 at 4:09 AM, sunshine81039 said:

I see you stayed on deck 10. Were you port or starboard and would you recommend the opposite side than what you had originally? We just booked for Sept 2021 port side out of seattle an am torn to stay on port or move to starboard. TIA

We were on the Starboard side but found both sides had great views in the Inside Passage, and if you get to the glacier the captain will spin the ship 360 degrees so everybody gets great views. I truly believe both sides are great for this cruise. Plus there are plenty of areas on deck to see the views.