THE LUCK OF THE DRAW

Let me first say that of all our cruises we have always had a balcony. Personally I wouldn't have anything else.

Being able to open the door to get fresh air without having to brave the madding crowd on deck is the ultimate. The sound of the sea at night is the best part of cruising.

Now the luck of the draw is the balcony you are able to get. If you book a cruise eighteen months ahead, you can virtually choose where you want to be.

With twelve months to go it is a general rule that you will probably get what you want but the way advanced bookings are going now, you will have a few to choose from.

Under twelve months those decks and positions start to evaporate and you might find yourself on the opposite side of the ship that is your favorite choice.

We always go for the starboard or right side as most cruises berth on that side and approach land and sight seeing that side.

For instance when we went through the Suez Canal from north to south it is imperative that you be on the right side to see Egypt. The left side is a wilderness.

Likewise when we sailed through the Prinz Christian Sound Greenland, all the glaciers and waterfalls were on the right. When we went around the Horn the land was on the right.

But you can be tricked as far as the wharf side goes. Many times the ship gets backed into a wharf and you get to look out at nothing. Try Port Kalang Malaysia.

Hence, it is the luck of the draw.

We have had the dilemma  port or starboard , and ended up aft as our preferred choice,

also one is protected from the wind a lot of time.....

But it is good that everybody has a different part of the ship where they like there cabin.

Cheers Don

Ps One year of kindergarten is enough for politics

10 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

We have had the dilemma  port or starboard , and ended up aft as our preferred choice,

also one is protected from the wind a lot of time.....

But it is good that everybody has a different part of the ship where they like there cabin.

Cheers Don

Ps One year of kindergarten is enough for politics

So does that mean I am over qualified then.

We pick and stick, haven’t done a guarantee in probably 15 years, mainly health forced it.

have a preference for Port, maybe because our first few cruises, (where we did have guarantees) were that side. But all the cruises I have booked at the moment are starboard, shows just how precious I am about it ( just if I can choose I’d Prefer Port)

now that I really need an accessible cabin it is even harder, looking forward to getting my new wheelchair so I can try a standard cabin again, might make things a bit easier,

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Depends which balcony they are jumping off.

True 😳definitely didn’t look like much ship under, or around them for that matter ...... 

Edited by Porky55