MS Serenissima - Tromso Norway to Oban Scotland 21/8/19

MMDown Under

Yes.  Avoid this ship at all costs.  It is absolutely terrible, with ghastly decor, weirdly shaped cabins, shower curtains and a layout that is beyond awkward.  We sailed on it in the Caribbean and although we had one of the top cabins with a (shared) balcony it was a dismal experience.  The mainly Filipino staff, though, were delightful.  If it were half the price I wouldn't go near this ship.  The sad thing is, it has some very attractive itineraries.

Noble Caledonia are vastly over-priced and difficult to deal with.  Even so, they have a loyal clientele of well-travelled British passengers who somehow put up with the low standards.  There is a whole thread on the Serenissima here:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k5712188-Noble_Caledonia_MS_Serenissima-Cruises.html#0

On 8/17/2019 at 12:52 AM, Fletcher said:

Yes.  Avoid this ship at all costs.  It is absolutely terrible, with ghastly decor, weirdly shaped cabins, shower curtains and a layout that is beyond awkward.  We sailed on it in the Caribbean and although we had one of the top cabins with a (shared) balcony it was a dismal experience.  The mainly Filipino staff, though, were delightful.  If it were half the price I wouldn't go near this ship.  The sad thing is, it has some very attractive itineraries.

Noble Caledonia are vastly over-priced and difficult to deal with.  Even so, they have a loyal clientele of well-travelled British passengers who somehow put up with the low standards.  There is a whole thread on the Serenissima here:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k5712188-Noble_Caledonia_MS_Serenissima-Cruises.html#0

Thank you for your response.  This will be my first cruise with Noble Caledonia.  I'm attracted to their unique itineraries and enjoy small ships.  I will write a review on my return.  I couldn't find any information on Cruise Critic on this ship and didn't think of looking at trip advisor for ship reviews.  

The Berlitz guide to Cruising rates their ex-Renaissance yachts (Caledonian Sky, Hebridean Sky, and Island Sky) as 4-star, but Serenissima as only 2.5-star even after the 2018 renovation.  Good luck!

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The Berlitz guide to Cruising rates their ex-Renaissance yachts (Caledonian Sky, Hebridean Sky, and Island Sky) as 4-star, but Serenissima as only 2.5-star even after the 2018 renovation.  Good luck!

Thank you.  I am used to roughing it and have cruised in a basic cabin on a car deck on a Hurtigruten ferry.  I hope I will be pleasantly surprised and expect to love the itinerary, if not the ship. 

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Thank you.  I am used to roughing it and have cruised in a basic cabin on a car deck on a Hurtigruten ferry.  I hope I will be pleasantly surprised and expect to love the itinerary, if not the ship. 

Back in  there 1960s, the Serenissima used to be a car ferry in Baltic/Scandi waters.  That's why the layout and cabins are so disfigured.  Problem is, paying five-star Noble Caledonia prices for an old rust bucket isn't sensible in my view . . . but good luck anyway!

8 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Back in  there 1960s, the Serenissima used to be a car ferry in Baltic/Scandi waters.  That's why the layout and cabins are so disfigured.  Problem is, paying five-star Noble Caledonia prices for an old rust bucket isn't sensible in my view . . . but good luck anyway!

Thank you for your comments.  I agree it is not good value.  After all, I have to double the Sterling cost to get approx. cost in weak Aus.$.  The Norwegian Coastal Voyage was one of my favourite cruises and I love Scotland,  so this itinerary on a small ship excited me, which I'm finding rare without a single supplement.  

• 1 month later...

I have just returned from my overseas travels which included the cruise on ms serenissima from Tromso, Norway to Oban, Scotland.  

I really enjoyed this little ship.  But, when they use the words "quirky" you know it is not going to be everyone's cup of tea.  Talking to crew they said most people didn't like the ship when they embarked but soon loved the ship.  

A cruise on this ship is an adventure.  First surprise on the Tromso wharf, with showers threatening, was to see the luggage being loaded in big nets.  

The ship is a Russian ship on permanent charter to Noble Caledonia.  

I had a cabin on deck 3, the bottom passenger deck, with a porthole.  It was a roomy cabin with a comfortable double bed and lots of wardrobe, cupboard and dressing table storage.  My cabin, as well as the ship overall, was spotless.  

Whilst the ship has stabilisers it was very rough crossing the oceans, with a lot of passengers sick.  We missed a port for the Castle of Mey, Scotland due to the rough seas.  It was a perfect size for cruising the Norwegian coastline and fjords.