Falling off ladder, broken foot, and a knee roller

Susan in Maine

We're flying to Orlando on Saturday Sept 21 for a four day cruise sailing September 23rd. (six weeks, if you are counting!)

Two days ago I fell about 5' onto a concrete floor and broke two bones in my right foot. Soo.....I'm non-weight bearing for the next several weeks.

I've got a knee roller, and think I'll be ok, but would appreciate any tips, advice, etc. for our cruise.

Silly me - I didn't buy trip insurance so cancelling and rescheduling isn't an option.

Any help you can offer would be wonderful!

Thanks!

My hubby and I have both used the knee roller for foot issues (both had surgery for different reasons) and while I can't tell you about cruising I do know that Red Lightning (what we named my machine!) was a life-saver for me. I was non-weight bearing for 8 weeks but was able to go out and about almost anywhere...

I even flew and attended a conference with mine. When flying they will take it from you when you board and return it when you are ready to get off, so make sure if you have a basket or anything that can come off is attached with zip ties or something similar so you don't lose it.

If you are back to bearing weight by the time you cruise (and I hope you are) maybe consider bringing a portable ice bag with you to keep swelling down. And don't be afraid to bow out of things and sit down to rest your foot when you need to...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

My hubby and I have both used the knee roller for foot issues (both had surgery for different reasons) and while I can't tell you about cruising I do know that Red Lightning (what we named my machine!) was a life-saver for me. I was non-weight bearing for 8 weeks but was able to go out and about almost anywhere...

I even flew and attended a conference with mine. When flying they will take it from you when you board and return it when you are ready to get off, so make sure if you have a basket or anything that can come off is attached with zip ties or something similar so you don't lose it.

If you are back to bearing weight by the time you cruise (and I hope you are) maybe consider bringing a portable ice bag with you to keep swelling down. And don't be afraid to bow out of things and sit down to rest your foot when you need to...

The ice bag is a great idea! Thanks!

My wife has been on a knee roller five times, the last for 22 months while her ankle and mid foot fused. We took several cruises while she was on it the last time with absolutely no problems. She couldn't leave the ship because of the chance of infections in foreign countries with a fixator on her ankle. We met many more people than usual on the ships because they wanted to ask questions. And she had no problems getting on elevators as they sort of parted the way when they saw her. She just made the best of the situation she was in. Just remember it is so much better than using crutches. Good luck!!

• Like 1

I have seen several people with these on a cruise and haven't noticed any issues with them getting around.

Just take a little more care around the pool, and prepare yourself for having to wait on the elevator.
You might also let the maitre d in the MDR know, so they can find a table that is convenient for you.

• Like 1

I was on a knee roller on my last cruise.  It was a challenge.  I was able to use a cane when I needed to.  I would suggest that you also bring crutches.   They will make it easier when in smaller places and where there are stairs like the theater.  Mostly, people were courteous, some, not so much.  Be very patient, some people can be very rude.  Watch grates in the flooring. I almost went head over heels.  My husband ran interference for me. 

If you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to try to answer.

I thought of a couple of more things.  The public restrooms will not accommodate the scooter,  another reason to have crutches handy.  I found that tendering was not a possibility.  We stayed on the ship for Belize.  Parking the scooter can also be an issue when you are in public places like the MDR and comedy club. 

14 hours ago, Chervil said:

I have seen several people with these on a cruise and haven't noticed any issues with them getting around.

Just take a little more care around the pool, and prepare yourself for having to wait on the elevator.
You might also let the maitre d in the MDR know, so they can find a table that is convenient for you.

Thanks for the reminder to check in with the maître d! Being all the way in the back of the dining room wouldn't be fun!

Thanks everyone! You've helped my stress level a lot!

Unfortunately crutches are not an option for me. I guess we'll have to sit at the back of the theatre!

I've called my TA and she's going to see if, by any chance, there is a handicapped cabin available.

24 minutes ago, Susan in Maine said:

Thanks everyone! You've helped my stress level a lot!

Unfortunately crutches are not an option for me. I guess we'll have to sit at the back of the theatre!

I've called my TA and she's going to see if, by any chance, there is a handicapped cabin available.

Just heads up other than just the helpfulness and kindness of crew here and there, there is not any other handicap assistance as far as boarding, etc.

40 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Just heads up other than just the helpfulness and kindness of crew here and there, there is not any other handicap assistance as far as boarding, etc.

Actually, our cruising buddy is limited in his mobility and when he is going to be walking a lot, he uses a small electric scooter.
When we go to board, they generally put him in a wheelchair and take him up an elevator.
There are usually quite a few wheelchair attendants helping people to board.

Now in port, it is a slightly different matter. 
But I know there was a woman in a wheelchair on our tender at Grand Cayman in January.
They were very helpful getting her on and off the tender at both the port and ship.

When my husband has achilles surgery, we took these on a trip and they are so much better than any ice pack you have to worry about being frozen.  They stay cold for a couple of hours too.  Once of the best $20 we ever spent!  He put one behind his knee and one on his ankle area after an activity where he noticed some swelling and they really helped.  Good luck with your trip!

https://smile.amazon.com/Medpride-Instant-Cold-Pack-Inflammation/dp/B07HB67XK4/ref=sr_1_5?crid=OZIK2OWZ8U5P&keywords=ice%2Bpacks%2Bfor%2Binjuries&qid=1565533881&s=gateway&sprefix=ice%2Bpacks%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-5&th=1

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jdemps said:

When my husband has achilles surgery, we took these on a trip and they are so much better than any ice pack you have to worry about being frozen.  They stay cold for a couple of hours too.  Once of the best $20 we ever spent!  He put one behind his knee and one on his ankle area after an activity where he noticed some swelling and they really helped.  Good luck with your trip!

https://smile.amazon.com/Medpride-Instant-Cold-Pack-Inflammation/dp/B07HB67XK4/ref=sr_1_5?crid=OZIK2OWZ8U5P&keywords=ice%2Bpacks%2Bfor%2Binjuries&qid=1565533881&s=gateway&sprefix=ice%2Bpacks%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-5&th=1

I too had Achilles surgery (both ankles, 2 years apart- not a lot of fun!) and my surgeon gave me a bunch of the ones you mentioned the first time and they were great! The second surgery he must have been cutting costs because he gave me these (link below) that I had to refill with ice (definitely cheaper, and I needed to get DH to refill for me instead of just doing it myself with the first set of ice packs) but both were free so I didn't complain!

https://smile.amazon.com/Medline-Refillable-Clamp-Closure-Non4420/dp/B005PGNMZY/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=refillable%2Bice%2Bpack&qid=1565541427&s=gateway&sr=8-4&th=1

On 8/9/2019 at 9:59 PM, Susan in Maine said:

We're flying to Orlando on Saturday Sept 21 for a four day cruise sailing September 23rd. (six weeks, if you are counting!)

Two days ago I fell about 5' onto a concrete floor and broke two bones in my right foot. Soo.....I'm non-weight bearing for the next several weeks.

I've got a knee roller, and think I'll be ok, but would appreciate any tips, advice, etc. for our cruise.

Silly me - I didn't buy trip insurance so cancelling and rescheduling isn't an option.

Any help you can offer would be wonderful!

Thanks!

Sorry about your fall.  Our daughter slipped on ice the day before our flight to California for a 7 night Mexican Riviera Cruise in January.  She broke her foot in 2 places.   She could not put any weight on her foot.  I contacted the airlines and they had a wheelchair waiting for us at the airport and there were different people who wheeled her around airport.  When we arrived in LA, they wheeled her from her seat on the plane to our shuttle waiting for us outside the terminal.  The hotel was able to switch us to a handicap room.  I also contacted my Carnival PVP and and she let the ship know but there were no handicap rooms available.  That was fine because we had connecting balcony rooms and had rented a wheelchair through a company that met us outside the ship.   We also bought a walker and took it with us.  The wheelchair was great on the ship.  The room was too small to use a wheelchair, but the walker was great inside the room.   Carnival also provided us with a shower chair and that really helped.   We did not have trouble on the ship with the wheelchair.   We were at the back of the ship for dinner but only had trouble at the very back and the steward just moved a few people next to our table to help her get to and from  our table.  Carnival gave me the number of a company that rents wheelchairs for the cruise.  After the cruise, they let us take it to the shuttle waiting and then I took it back to them outside the ship.  It would have been hard without the wheelchair.  One thing good about the mobility problem was they let us skip muster drill outside and went to a dining room with a lot of others with wheelchairs, etc.  It was cool in there and it was shorter than usual.  They let us all go back to our rooms before everyone else was dismissed.    I hope you enjoy your cruise.  

• Like 3

I went on a cruise 3 years ago with a broken foot.  I did not have a knee roller, but I was in a boot.  They brought me a wheelchair at check-in (didn't ask for one, but they saw I could use it).  They also took one look at me and moved my husband and I to an indoor muster station with seating.  If you are going to a private island, there should be beach wheelchairs with huge wheels to get you onto the sand as well.  Being on sand was my orthopedic surgeon's biggest concern actually, as it's not a stable surface for walking.

It was frustrating to watch some of the activities and not be able to partake, but I was still able to get some sun, eat great food, and see great shows.  But we did have to alter our usual activities to accommodate.  We did a lot of trivia haha.  On the last night I decided to dance a little anyway, boot and all.  I paid for it the next day, but I had a lot of fun that night!

Enjoy your trip!

Kim

• Like 1

I went on a cruise a couple of weeks after blowing out my ACL and while waiting on surgery. I was on crutches and found that I could get around on them pretty well. The only areas of concern were on the lido deck. The pool area can be slippery when wet. Also, the tile around the buffet can be extremely slick. I would imagine both those areas could also be concerning if you are on the knee roller. I just had to be really careful!