Downtime

Our upcoming New Zealand/Australia cruise terminates in Bali. We did an air deviation and our departing flight doesn't leave until 7:50pm. According to Regent Air, most flights from Bali to the US leave late in the day. Since we have to disembark by 8-9am, I was wondering if Regent would provide an excursion or a hotel room to kill time for those of us that have evening flights.

We had a similar situation not too long ago flying home from Lima.  Regent offered us the opportunity to purchase a "day room" at the hotel they were using to house passengers who boarded in that port.  It worked well for us. 

Suggest that you ask your TA to give Regent a call and inquire about assistance with the down time.

3 hours ago, landingsduffer said:

Our upcoming New Zealand/Australia cruise terminates in Bali. We did an air deviation and our departing flight doesn't leave until 7:50pm. According to Regent Air, most flights from Bali to the US leave late in the day. Since we have to disembark by 8-9am, I was wondering if Regent would provide an excursion or a hotel room to kill time for those of us that have evening flights.

We had a similar situation in January when flying home from Rio.  Regent offered us the opportunity to purchase a "day room" (2 large conference room with goodies and a separate secure baggage area at the Hilton Copacabana hotel.  Several transfer to airport, depending on flight departure time; it also worked well for us. 

We arranged it on the ship 3 or so days before disembarkation..

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Regent generally offers excursions for those with late departures.  It helps break up the day.  However, if a dayroom were available, I'd take that (especially if it was in the airport).

I think I am tracking with you TC. An excursion in Bali before some really long flights might be uncomfortable. We haven't flown Air Emirates before but gotta think that their VIP lounge would be pretty nice.

10 hours ago, landingsduffer said:

On our May Explorer cruise from Barcelona to Southampton we did not have a flight until late in the afternoon.  Several days before the end of the cruise we received a letter from Regent inviting us to participate in a complementary excursion to Stonehenge.  Since my husband had never been there, we were very excited about the offer.  The tour ended by dropping us off, with our luggage, at our Heathrow terminal.  It was a great ending to a wonderful cruise.

3 hours ago, landingsduffer said:

I think I am tracking with you TC. An excursion in Bali before some really long flights might be uncomfortable. We haven't flown Air Emirates before but gotta think that their VIP lounge would be pretty nice.

Not sure where you live but I've heard that Air Emirates may have a surcharge for those of us on the West Coast of the United States.  Will be crossing our fingers when we book flights in February.  Agree that the VIP should be great.  Also agree that taking an excursion in the extreme heat of Bali might be uncomfortable.  We did a 3 night pre-cruise in Bali (love Bali) but it was so hot that by the 2nd day of touring, half of the passengers elected to stay at the air conditioned hotel.  

This 3 year old hotel may be of interest https://topbali.com/bali-airport-hotel/. It sounds as if it is in the airport.  The price sounds ridiculous (798,000 Indonesian Rupiah) but it is only around $56 U.S. dollars!

P.S.  Just noticed some conflicting information at the bottom of the page for the hotel.  I would contact them directly if you are interested.  

If that doesn't work, here is another link https://www.sleepinginairports.net/guides/bali-airport-guide.htm#hotels

Edited by Travelcat2

19 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Not sure where you live but I've heard that Air Emirates may have a surcharge for those of us on the West Coast of the United States.  Will be crossing our fingers when we book flights in February.  Agree that the VIP should be great.  Also agree that taking an excursion in the extreme heat of Bali might be uncomfortable.  We did a 3 night pre-cruise in Bali (love Bali) but it was so hot that by the 2nd day of touring, half of the passengers elected to stay at the air conditioned hotel.  

This 3 year old hotel may be of interest https://topbali.com/bali-airport-hotel/. It sounds as if it is in the airport.  The price sounds ridiculous (798,000 Indonesian Rupiah) but it is only around $56 U.S. dollars!

P.S.  Just noticed some conflicting information at the bottom of the page for the hotel.  I would contact them directly if you are interested.  

If that doesn't work, here is another link https://www.sleepinginairports.net/guides/bali-airport-guide.htm#hotels

Thanks for the information. We live on the East Coast and paid for an air deviation with Regent. Was the surcharge you mentioned for access to the VIP lounge or are we looking at additional costs for our return flights?

1 hour ago, landingsduffer said:

Thanks for the information. We live on the East Coast and paid for an air deviation with Regent. Was the surcharge you mentioned for access to the VIP lounge or are we looking at additional costs for our return flights?

The surcharge is above the $175/person air deviation fee.  This is only done on certain airlines from certain parts of the country.  A few years ago, there was a surcharge for flights on British Airways .......only if you depart from Canada (which we do).  The next year, there was no surcharge if you lived in the U.S. ..... go figure!

If there were additional charges, you would know about it by now.  From what I hear, there are no surcharges on the East Coast and there is definitely no charge to get into the VIP Lounge.  

Hope that your cruise is wonderful!  We have been to Dubai once and really enjoyed it!

6 hours ago, landingsduffer said:

Bali is a wonderful place, but the airport lounges are not. Emirates use the Premier Lounge in Bali, which is not a place you would want to spend much time. The lounge is used by many airlines and is often crowded and too warm. 

9 hours ago, jmalux said:

Bali is a wonderful place, but the airport lounges are not. Emirates use the Premier Lounge in Bali, which is not a place you would want to spend much time. The lounge is used by many airlines and is often crowded and too warm. 

Thank you for sharing that information. It is good to know!

11 hours ago, jmalux said:

Sounds like the best option is to look for an air conditioned room somewhere before our flight. Thanks for the information.

Hi we finished a cruise in Tahiti earlier in the year and our flight to LA wasn't till 23.45 with second night flight to Heathrow after arrival in LA.

Regent offered a communal day room at a hotel with snacks or a tour, but that dropped us way too early at the airport. On researching I found a great one night rate at a seafront hotel with pool. We booked this and emailed the hotel to ask if there was any possibility of the room being ready on arrival about 10am.

The room was ready, next to the pool and the hotel booked a taxi to the airport for us at 21.00.

This worked for us as tea and coffee was provided, we had a safe and our luggage was locked in our room. We spent a pleasant day in the grounds had dinner then a nap before showering ready for our pick up.

If we were in the same situation we would opt to do this again.