Coverage cancel for education/professional training

Anarinya

Hi everyone, 

I have done a bit of research but I can’t seem to find specific answers to my questions. Maybe I am using the wrong search terms (English isn’t my first language), so I’d appreciate any insights or pointers on how I may get better search results. 

The issue is the following: we have booked a cruise In December, final payment is in 2,5 weeks, so I am looking for trip insurance. My husband is currently doing a professional training course (to get licensed as a commercial airline pilot) that is supposed to run through the end of November, however, the exact end date is not fixed at this point, as it depends on progress, weather conditions and other factors not in our control. While currently he is ahead of schedule, there is a slim chance his graduation may be delayed and we may have to cancel the trip. 

In in order to get coverage for the event we need to cancel, which kind of coverage do I need to look for? Would these be covered under a “cancel for work reasons” policy? Or is there something like a “cancel for education reasons” policy? I have been reading through details of several policies but I can’t seem to figure out if our situation would be covered. 

Thanks a lot in advance for any comment or insights! 

Listen to Steve. He’s an expert.

Had you lived in the States, I don’t think there is a policy you could buy this late in the game for this type of coverage. If I were searching for a policy to cover this here in the States, I would search for a policy that covered Job Related cancellation. I believe that to get job related coverage, you have to purchase the policy within just a few days after you make your original deposit.

The rules and regulations could be much different in Austria.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the kind words klfrodo. You're an expert as well about travel insurance and lots of other areas. I've always found your answers to be very good.

If the OP lived in the USA, they still would not be covered because the person has to have previously approved time off that is later cancelled causing them to cancel their trip because they have to work.

In this case, the husband is doing a professional training course and it doesn't sound like cancelling the trip would be because he has to work.

Their only choice would have been a Cancel For Any Reason if it was available.

Also, some policies that have the Cancel For Work Reasons have to be bought within a deadline while others include it as long as having to cancel to work is unknown at the time of purchase.

• Thanks 1

Hi, thanks a lot for your replies! 

I guess I should have updated my profile, I live in Massachusetts since earlier this year. That’s also why I am asking, I am familiar with EU insurance policies, but this is the first cruise we booked since moving to the States. 

I thought buying the insurance close to making the deposit was only important to cover pre-existing medical conditions. (Since we don’t have any to cover, I didn’t want to buy insurance before committing to the trip by final payment, as otherwise we may be paying insurance for a trip we cancel at 3 months out.)

So is my understanding correct that a  cancel for work reasons policy would require a prior confirmation from his training office that at this point, the training is scheduled to conclude in November? 

Or would the training not count as work anyway? It is kind of his full time job at this point. 

What kind of policy would work for someone who has to take a college exam during the previously free time? That situation would be closest to ours at the moment, I think.... 

Thank you for all your replies, they are very much appreciated! 

A

10 hours ago, Anarinya said:

I guess I should have updated my profile, I live in Massachusetts since earlier this year. That’s also why I am asking, I am familiar with EU insurance policies, but this is the first cruise we booked since moving to the States. 

I thought buying the insurance close to making the deposit was only important to cover pre-existing medical conditions. (Since we don’t have any to cover, I didn’t want to buy insurance before committing to the trip by final payment, as otherwise we may be paying insurance for a trip we cancel at 3 months out.)

So is my understanding correct that a  cancel for work reasons policy would require a prior confirmation from his training office that at this point, the training is scheduled to conclude in November? 

Or would the training not count as work anyway? It is kind of his full time job at this point. 

What kind of policy would work for someone who has to take a college exam during the previously free time? That situation would be closest to ours at the moment, I think.... 

A

I just went to www.tripinsurancestore.com and punched in some data and also included that the State of residency was Massachusetts. It came up with 6 policies, however only 1 of them TravelSafe Classic offered an upgrade to include Cancel For Any Reason coverage at this late date.

I'd recommend calling Trip Insurance Store and speak with their very helpful and professional people. Just by calling they can better explain what your options are and they can explain how Cancel For Any Reason works.

Good luck

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Anarinya said:

A

Hi Antarina,

Your husband's training is not his employment. Your only choice is to get a cancel for any reason policy.

Steve

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, 

just a quick update, since we cannot find a proper insurance plan for our situation, we have decided to cancel the trip altogether before final payment. His training office won’t guarantee him leave for the time period, and cancel for any reason is too costly an option given that most of them don’t refund 100% of the trip costs. In the end we may be well over 1000 Dollar out of pocket for nothing and that’s too great of a risk. Very disappointing though 😞 especially since we had gotten a great deal on the trip. 

Thanks anyway again to everyone who answered. I have learned a lot about trip insurance in the US and will be better prepared next time. 

• Thanks 1