Cartagena

We will soon be selecting our excursions for our  Barcelona to Lisbon trip in April.

Just wondering if all you well traveled people have taken a particular excursion

in Cartagena that was memorable. The Acoustic Flamenco and the Mines sounds

interesting also the Bullas Wine route however not too crazy about a 90 minute 

coach trip to get there. This is assuming these excursions will be on our list which we do not get 

see until two days before booking 😞 

I would rate the Regent tour in Cartagena as the best of all Regent tours. It was a city tour did not include a long bus tour and the guide was exceptional. It included a Museum adjacent to the coliseum ( we were able to enter before it opened), and excavated  Roman Villa that was entered through a bank, and the old defensive wall. The guide was extremely knowledgeable and had a tremendous  love for the city. Of all the Regent tours we have done ( and we’ve done plenty), it was by far the best.

We recently (9-3-18) did the: 

CARTAGENA & LA MANGA 4 1/2 HOURS At Cabo de Palos, a gray stone lighthouse that began operating in 1865, you'll stop for photos.  Driving on to La Manga Cavana, you'll have approximately 45-minutes of free time for shopping or a snack before heading back to Cartagena.  After riding an elevator up to Conception Castle, you'll enjoy a superb panoramic view of Cartagena, its naturally sheltered port, and even an old bullring built over a Roman gladiator arena. You'll have plenty of time to wander about and drink in the views, before descending to elegant Calle Mayor, one of the city's finest thoroughfares for shopping and dining.

Guide was mediocre at best.  Many people abandoned the tour when it got close to the pier.  Description makes it sound much better than it actually was.  I enjoyed the tour sites, and although I would agree with others who abandoned tour based upon guides performance I stuck it out to the end.  I do my own research and in this case was as knowledgeable as the guide was able to express her knowledge.  She may have known more but was very limited in her ability to get the info across to those on the tour.  

Jay

The tour we took in Cartagena was very archeological and focussed on the town only.   We visited the Roman (Greek?) theatre, went to the same little house described above and spent over an hour at the archeological museum.  We had an excellent guide and I would rank that tour as one of the very very best I have ever taken (outdone perhaps only by a half day at the museum in Delphi, Greece with a superb guide).   Cartagena is a beautiful small town and is now my favourite stop on the entire Spanish coast.

9 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

The tour we took in Cartagena was very archeological and focussed on the town only.   We visited the Roman (Greek?) theatre, went to the same little house described above and spent over an hour at the archeological museum.  We had an excellent guide and I would rank that tour as one of the very very best I have ever taken (outdone perhaps only by a half day at the museum in Delphi, Greece with a superb guide).   Cartagena is a beautiful small town and is now my favourite stop on the entire Spanish coast.

Gerry, are you referring to Cartagena in Spain or Columbia?  The first time I saw "Cartagena" listed on Mediterrean Regent itinerary, I thought that Regent didn't know where the city was......... until we visited Cartagena, Spain.  On our Splendor cruise, as you know, we will be visiting Cartagena.  Dennis wants to check out the jewelry shops and I have no intention of stopping him:classic_biggrin:

I just went back to check on some tours that are offered. It could have been one of two. I really don’t remember which one. Roman Cartagena or Highlights of Cartagena. We were there more than once. It’s a lovely town and just walking around and visiting the open market is great also. 

Sheila

Thank you for the question, and thank you, Grey Eagle and Hambagahle, for your answers.  We are booking excursions next week for the NYC-BCN crossing that docks in Cartagena.  We had passed up "Roman Cartagena" but it was our second choice.  Thanks to your excellent comments, we have moved it to our top choice.

Hurray for cruise critic posters again!