Muir Woods - need advice in San Francisco.

Randi S.

In May we will be doing an Infininity cruise with a couple in their 70's. (We are in our 60's.) Celebrity has not yet posted the San Francisco tours. One thing we talked about seeing was Muir Woods. Can anyone tell me how much walking one would have to do to view the redwoods? Are there benches to rest along the way. Would appreciate the experiences others might have had visiting here.

Also, we will be arriving in San Francisco very early in the morning, the day of the cruise, which departs 5pm. We will put our luggage in the room where the other couple will be staying, but would like to do something that morning. The hotel is only a block away from the pier.

Post cruise we will have the day we disembark, and the following day. We fly home the day after that and have an afternoon flight. We want to cram as much into the time we have as possible.

Have contacted the San Francisco Sightseeing company for ideas.

We thought on our full day we would like to do an 11 hour tour which includes Monterey Aquarium. And since this will be our first time in the city, we want to include all those touristy things like cablecars, crooked street, seafood on the pier etc. We do not care about going to Alcatraz. PLEASE, we would appreciate any suggestions and advice. Thanks so much.

Randi - You have a very aggressive schedule. I am not sure how much you will be able to accomplish with your time constraints. If you are on the May 8 Infinity we have a lively discussion group on this board.

Muir woods is very accessible - All 1.5 miles of paved or boardwalked trails are wheelchair and stroller accessible. Disabled permit parking is available in the main parking lot. Wheelchairs and strollers are available for loan at no cost on a first-come, first-served basis at the Visitor Center. You will be able to see Redwoods without much walking but may want to walk the trails to see the larger trees. There are may places to stop and rest

Monterrey Bay aquarium would really be out of the question - travel time would be 2 1/2 hours each way which would leave very little time to enjoy.

A day trip I might recommend would be to either rent a car or or schedule a tour of the city. Take a ride on the Cable Car - from fisherman's wharf to Market Street stopping off in China Town. Golden Gate Park is fantastic and has everything from a Buffalo Heard, Japanese Garden, Redwood Grove, museums, windmills and even dunes and a beach.

Thank you for your response.

How impressive is the redwood grove compared with Muir Woods?

The San Francisco sightseeing company offers an 11 hour tour of Monterey/Carmel and includes admission to the aquarium. The Gray Line bus promises beautiful scerery along the way. I have not asked how much time we would get in aquarium itself. Any comments on this? Thanks again!

Randi,

We were in San Francisco this past July. We took the Muir Woods tour with Blue & Gold fleet. It was a great bus ride over there, which departed from the pier. We were able to get a fantastic view of the city we would've missed, had we been driving ourselves. It was a tour bus...can't say enough good things about it. As Jim said, Muir Woods is very accessible, you won't have any problems there. We also divided the trip with a 1/2 day in Sausilito, and took the ferry back to the pier...again with Blue & Gold. Not sure that I would spend as much time in Sausilito as we did, but it was a fun place to eat lunch and do a little shopping.

If you're willing to devote a whole day to Monterey/Carmel I'd do it. We took the kids several years ago to the aquarium, then took the 17 mile drive down to Carmel. This past July (when it was just us), we again rented a car and took the drive down to Carmel. Not to be missed in my opinion.

Of course you have to do the cable cars, Lombard Street, and all the other touristy things. The city has lots of charm!!

You might want to go to the Ports of Call Board and do a search on SF in the United States forum. Tons of information there.

I hope this will help. Again, look into the Blue & Gold Fleet, and see what tours they have to offer. You won't be disappointed. I wonder if they're hiring?? :D

In May we will be doing an Infininity cruise with a couple in their 70's. (We are in our 60's.) Celebrity has not yet posted the San Francisco tours. One thing we talked about seeing was Muir Woods. Can anyone tell me how much walking one would have to do to view the redwoods? Are there benches to rest along the way. Would appreciate the experiences others might have had visiting here.

Also, we will be arriving in San Francisco very early in the morning, the day of the cruise, which departs 5pm. We will put our luggage in the room where the other couple will be staying, but would like to do something that morning. The hotel is only a block away from the pier.

Post cruise we will have the day we disembark, and the following day. We fly home the day after that and have an afternoon flight. We want to cram as much into the time we have as possible.

Have contacted the San Francisco Sightseeing company for ideas.

We thought on our full day we would like to do an 11 hour tour which includes Monterey Aquarium. And since this will be our first time in the city, we want to include all those touristy things like cablecars, crooked street, seafood on the pier etc. We do not care about going to Alcatraz. PLEASE, we would appreciate any suggestions and advice. Thanks so much.

Where is the ship coming from and where is your cruise from S.F. going to?

Muir Woods can be done the same day as you depart, leave early, it's about 40 minutes across the GGBride. It is all self-guiding via meandering paths and you can walk as little or as much as you like yet see the giant redwoods all around you, its not as if you have to go any distance to "get to" the awesome giants; they are there, all around you, the instant you get to the woods parking lot.

I am on the Infinity in April but it's going south to Mexico and Monterey is one of the stops along the way.

Suggest you do Monterey the day you disembark if you must. You really should try to add at least two more days on either end to see all the stuff you mention.

hello,

The Monterrey?Carmel trip is probably best left to another time. I say this because there is much to see and do in San Francisco as well as Marin County where the Muir Woods is located.

I suggest renting a car because you will save lots of money with four people. Other things to see in San Francisco are Fort Point, Golden Gate Park, Chinatown, and the North Beach area of the city. Also the Golden Gateway National Recreation Area which consists of the Presidio and Fort Mason. Mission Dolores, Saint Mary's, and the big church on Washington Square (St. Peter's and Paul?) where Marilyn Monroe and Joe Dimaggio were married) are a must for those of the Catholic faith. Take the Hyde Street cable car and have an irish coffee at the Buena Vista cafe (Hyde Street and North Point) and this old San Francisco place has good food at a reasonable price, especially breakfast. And for a baseball fan do not miss SBC park as it is very interesting to walk around the outside of and look into one of the really nice modern though retro baseball stadiums in the country. There are also several fine museums including the legion of honor and a new museum in Golden Gate park.

And Imust respectfully disagree with you re: Alcatraz. It is a truly interesting place to visit because of the boat ride to the island, the views of the entire bay area, and the buildinggrounds itself.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thank you for your response.

How impressive is the redwood grove compared with Muir Woods?

Muir Woods is the more impressive of the two and definitely worthy of the trip!!

Keep in mind that the redwood trees there are the impressive Coastal Redwood variety (sequoia sempervirens (sp?)). The shorter but more massive Giant Sequoia (sequoia giganteum (sp?)) is found further inland in the Sierra Nevada.

I wonder if I am the only person in the greater San Francisco Bay Area that thinks of Muir Woods as "a place with big trees?" I have been there several times and for those with a limited amount of time, well...........I would suggest Golden Gate Park. The Steinhart (sp?) Aquarium and De Young Museum, the Japanese Gardens and Conservatory, the ride through the park and the ocean.

You can actually spend the better part of a day on Fisherman's Wharf and Giradelli Square, if interested in WW2 type submarines there is one for tour out past the Wharf. The USS Hornet can be toured in Alameda/Oakland area across the bridge.

Beach Blanket Babylon is an S.F. institution and a great show. And you can also walk through Chinatown and many other areas of San Francisco.

Some suggested renting a car? I think the City is a very, very difficult place to drive. Rely on Taxi's and your feet if/when you stay in the City.

I absolutely agree about trying to drive in the city....there's not enough money in the world. However, renting a car and driving out of the city is a different story. I think the only suggestions for car rental was to make the drive down to Monterey, but I could be wrong ( wouldn't be the first time, and besides, Mike loves to hear me say that :D ). I got the impression the OP was going to be a first-time visitor to SF, and I had to agree with her choices 100%, except for maybe the Alcatraz decision. We've been to SF 3 times now....some things we've done more than once, and others were 1st time experiences. They all were great choices...the city has so much to offer.

Nancy

Golden Gate park is a great place to spend time and so is Muir Woods. I have to admit we lived there (Marin County) about 40years ago, but do visit every few years. If time permits do explore Muir Woods. It is a very easy walk, unless someone has a serious health problem the walk is quite easy and the area is truely one of Gods real creations. Golden Gate Park is wonderful, as well, but certainly not as empressive at the Woods. NMNita

There are certainly a lot of great ideas and opinions, which is so helpful. Based on everything we were told, we will not rent a car, and will more than likely do a couple of tours. Everyone in our foursome wants to go to the aquarium, and right now we are considering the 11 hour tour which incorporates a scenic tour with stops at Cannery Row, the art/gallery and restaurant district of Carmel, and a return trip through Silicon Valley. Will do it on our one full day in SF.

We are of differing opinions concerning Muir Woods. Can anyone tell me if this is 'just a place with big trees'? Two of our little group is saying this, and the other two thinks it will be impressive. With as little time as we have, we want to make the best of it.

I will look into the other tour companies like the Blue and Gold Fleet, and the Ports of Call Board as was suggested in this thread.

Fredr recommended the Buena Vista Cafe for the irish coffee and especially breakfast. I would love to get more feedback on this place.

Thank you all for your ideas. You have been so helpful.

Being a native San Franciscan, I would not consider going to Monterey on the day of my cruise. The bus ride is 5 hours roundtrip alone with no traffic. If this is your first visit to the Bay Area, I would stick around the city and go over to Marin to visit Muir Woods and if it is summer time, go to Stinson Beach, just a short ride from Muir Woods. Sausalito is a good spot for lunch and a bit of shopping. Tiburon is also a beautiful area for brunch and cute boutiques. There is a ton to do in San Francisco and some of this will take time. If you have a full day and half of the next day, then Monterey/Carmel would work out well. I would consider renting a car for this trip as you can take the coast down - a bit of a longer drive, but beautiful. I'm thinking the bus route will be on the freeway instead. Great places to stop off on the coast. Carmel is great for eating and shopping too.

I second beach blanket babylon. Prince Charles and Camille who were here recently went since Charles' mum went to see the show previously. The show is famous for the large "hats" that are worn. The Buena Vista is famous for tourist. A great spot in Fisherman's Wharf.

Just my 2 cents.

Hi Randi, that makes sense. My recommendation is that you do take the trip to Muir Woods as this will give you an opportunity to see the Golden Gate Bridge and Marin, BUT I would not spend too much time there. If this is your first time in SF, you should spend alot of time in the city. There is alot to do. Like mentioned, you will want to take the cable car, Lombard Street (crookiest street), Golden Gate Park (think there is an aquarium there but nothing like Monterey, Japanese Tea Garden, Rose Garden, etc.), Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown (huge), Coit Tower, Twin Peaks. So much to do in so little time. Let me know if I can help with any other questions.

If your group really wants the Monterey Aquarium, then by all means devote a full day to what you want to do....I don't have to tell you this. It is an awesome place and you will find it time well spent. I think you ship will pull into S.F. in the morning hopefully with plenty of time to squeeze in Muir Woods.

Muir Woods is not a big sprawling park. It's quite small. You enter the parking lot and walk a very short distance to the entrace and the whole scene begins immediately with paths thru the giant redwoods. Its very quiet, not a long walk before the path winds around back to where you started and you can do the whole thing in a matter of minutes or meander as long as you want. Its IS a bunch of big, incredible, stunning, amazing, huge, fantastic, almost etherial trees. I've live in Marin and SF for 65 years and it is always is wonder to visit.

Randi,

I suppose Muir Woods is just a place with big trees, but it's also more than that, if that makes sense. If I remember right, the tour we took only stayed at Muir Woods for an hour or so. We could have stayed longer, but it wasn't our first trip to San Francisco either. Plus, the sights we were able to see taking the bus over there was an experience in itself. We saw/did things we might not have been able to otherwise. The ride across the Golden Gate was almost a trip in itself. Could the group split up with those who do/don't want to go? It's not like the other 2 couldn't find something else to do.

In my opinion, Buena Vista is worth the time. It's close to the wharf, Ghiradelli Square, and the cable cars. We've only eaten breakfast there once, but I'm glad we at least did it one time.

So much to do...so little time. I wouldn't be surprised if the next time you visit SF, you'll allow a little more time. Our first time there ended up as a fluke...and we keep going back. You'll love it.

Nancy

You have been so helpful! Definitely will also do the Muir Woods tour!

Will we be able to fit in a cable car the morning we embark (Sailing is 5pm?) Meeing the other couple atthe Sheraton on the Wharf. We get in about 8am. Another choice would be the day we fly home. We will be staying at the same hotel. We have a 3pm flight.

Definitely also plan to have an irish coffee breakfast! Someone said they put on some sort of presentation with the irish coffee. Is this true?

What is in Marin? How close to wharf is Ghiralelli Square?

Can you tell memore about the Japanese Tea Garden and Rose Garden.

Lastly, any recommendations on where to eat?

We live in Arizona, originally from NY, which is where our cruisemates are coming from. The cruise is on the Infinity/Alaska.

You have no idea how much I appreciate all your help!

Glad you have most of the things figured out. The big problem is there is so much to do and see out here, time is certainly a factor. I'll answer a couple of the questions:

Giradelli Square is basically at the end of Fisherman's Wharf, it is walking distance. I always recommend Tadich Grill for someplace to eat, good food, great atmosphere and a little piece of "Old San Francisco."

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/sanfrancisco/D41090.html

link to Tadich review

PS: we did the cruise last year, it was terrific

I am going to make one opinionated recommendation. Don't even bother going to Fisherman's Wharf. It's just a giant tourist trap, with bland restaurants, overpriced souvenier shops, and lots of crowds. We joke here in San Francisco that it's the ghetto where we keep all the tourists.

Ghiradelli Square isn't far from there, and is near a bunch of art galleries, the maritime museum, Aquatic Park (stroll way out to the end to hear the "wave organ"), and one of my favorite restaurants in town: the French-Cambodian place Ana Mandara. The restaurant is stunningly beautiful inside, it's as if you are on the porch or in the gardens of an old French colonial plantation.

Someone told me that Steinhart Aquarium out in Golden Gate Park was torn down when the old De Young was torn down. The new De Young, though is spectacular.

Downtown, just south of Market Street, is the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. Right near that is the brand-new Museum of the African Diaspora, which I've been meaning to visit.

Muir Woods, combined with a drive up to the top of Mt. Tamalpais and/or Stinson Beach, is a fantastic way to spend an afternoon. Another good trip, if you nature and amazing views of the city, is to take the a ferry to Angel Island and hike. If that's too much physically, just taking the ferry across to Sausalito on your own and walking around and having lunch (there are some good places right on the water) is a really nice time, and you'll get great views of Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge on the way over and back.

Marin County holds up the other end of the GGBridge and that is where Muir Woods is. The bus tour will give you a good idea of what the County is like. There are a million things to do there, but Muir Woods will have to do for now.

Do the cable car. Be prepared to wait in line. Ghiradelli Square is just a bunch of shops, nicely laid out in an old style on levels but if you miss it, no big deal at all. I'd forsake it in a minute for other sites on a tight schedule.

Fishermans wharf is tourist shops and restaurants and the smell of fish. To eat there ask the locals how to get to SCOMA'S. Its not right on the main drag with all the other restaurants but a short few steps around the corner and excellent.

In the same general area is the BUENA VISTA CAFE. Supposidly where Irish Coffee was invented and where you "must" go to drink one. Within walking distance of your cable car, a cable car runs right by it and turns around a block away, it's near Scoma's and the wharf. Its crowded.

Japanese Tea Garden: On the other side of town in GGPark. Its quaint, very authentic and not that big, the new DeYoung art museum is next to it. On your tight schedule, it is out of the way and a real squeeze. The rose garden is nearby, hard to tell how many roses will be blooming in May, a few I guess...its nice but not spectacular. There's a huge one across the bay in Berkeley; too far I think for your schedule and not really in full bloom in May I don't think.

Honestly, try to get reservations at night for BEACH BLANKET BABYLON. It is totally unique and so much fun, nothing like it anywhere else, it's not far at all from your Sheraton on the wharf. You'll have a great time, laugh like crazy and come away glad you did it.

I am going to make one opinionated recommendation. Don't even bother going to Fisherman's Wharf. It's just a giant tourist trap, with bland restaurants, overpriced souvenier shops, and lots of crowds. We joke here in San Francisco that it's the ghetto where we keep all the tourists.
:cool: We know WE KNOW but we can't get them to stop going there! As you are doing very well, the best we can do is try to steer them to OUR kinds of places!

Randi -

Please be assured that we hope you have the most wonderful time in San Francisco even if that must include Fisherman's Wharf!

What I would like you to do is PLEASE PLEASE come back.... A LIFETIME is not long enough to enjoy San Francisco and Northern California. I have friends who (not literally) fell in love with the area and (literally) went back to their homes wherever they were and packed up and moved here within months. Not saying we want that -- after all that's one of the biggest reasons it's too derned expensive to live here;) .

But we want you to come back and really give your time to enjoy the city and give time to let the natives (the ones that can still afford to live here if you can find one eek.gif) and other long-timers show you why we love it here -- and where we can show you where to go and what to see!

Come back for at least a week if not two or more!

I've written up more recommendations based on you want and including some others' and my suggestions. I'll follow this post with that one shortly...

Randi S -

Your planning is coming along well!

Here are more suggestions and comments, some of which incorporates some of other posters' ideas and also refers to your other thread where we talked about the Gray Line tours ( -- thread "I need recommendations for tour companies in San Francisco").

Here's what I would recommend to take into account most of the places you want to see:

Your hotel is 1-2 blocks to the Gray Line departure point at Pier 43 1/2.

From your hotel, it's 1-2 blocks the other way to the Cable Car at Bay and Taylor.

PRE-CRUISE:

Saturday, May 20, 2006 -- Day 1 (Pre-Cruise) -- 8am to 5pm:

NOTE:

I'm recommending that you also take the Deluxe City Tour (see below) because this will give you the most bang for the buck -- and will get you safely and quickly through a good overview of the city without you needing to drive through the streets yourself. Not to mention that you get to see Twin Peaks for sure!

Day 1 - Alternative 1:

• 9:15am - Gray Line Deluxe City Tour, 3 1/2 hours
  • 12:45pm or later - Take Cable Car (Powell-Mason line inbound) at Bay and Taylor Streets
    ...Then, it's a 10 minute ride up to Powell and California
  • Get off at Powell and California and transfer to the California line inbound Cable Car going downhill towards the Financial District
    ...Then, it's a 6 minute ride down California to Front
  • Get off at Front and California
  • 1:15pm or later - Eat lunch at Tadich Grill (240 California Street between Front and Battery)
  • After lunch, take a cab back to hotel; it's a 1.5 mile / 5-minute drive back to the hotel.
  • At this time you may still have time to walk around the Wharf area a little bit.

Day 1 - Alternative 2:

• Early Morning - Take Cable Car (Powell-Mason line) at Bay and Taylor Streets
    ...Then, it's a 20 minute ride to the other side of the line at Powell and Ellis
  • Walk down 1 block to turntable at Powell and Market to return back to the Wharf.
    Note: It can take a while to wait for the return back at this location.
  • Board the Cable Car of the Powell-Mason line outbound (not the Powell-Hyde line)
    ...Then, it's a 20 minute ride back to the Wharf end of the line at Bay and Taylor.
  • You may want to grab a sandwich or bag lunch to take on the tour at 11:15.
  • 11:15am - Gray Line Deluxe City Tour, 3 1/2 hours
    NOTE: You may want to grab some food before the tour, or maybe a bag lunch to take with you.
  • Afterwards take walk around Wharf area or return to hotel.

POST CRUISE:

Thursday, June 1, 2006:

[NOTE:

The following tour could be done here, instead of on Saturday, June 3. This would give you Saturday morning free -- in which case I would especially recommend you visit the Ferry Building Farmers' Market on Saturday:

• Seafood Dinner at the Wharf --

I personally don't eat at the seafood restaurants at the Wharf unless it's a business associate or relative who says it's a necessity -- but I understand the primal pull of the visitor desperately wanting to eat seafood at Fisherman's Wharf. The fish at Scoma's is, at least, very fresh, so you may like to eat there. Elsewhere in the city, there are many other restaurants that do seafood at least as well if not much better and at a better value -- but you can do much much worse in Fisherman's Wharf. So in this context, Scoma's is a good recommendation.

If you skip the Muir Woods tour this day, you can get to Scoma's very early for the lunch specials and call it an early dinner!:
    http://www.chowhound.com/california/boards/sanfrancisco/messages/172580.html

"Scoma's has a nice prix-fixe 3 course lunch that extends to 3:30, so it could be a combination of lunch / dinner":
    http://www.chowhound.com/california/boards/sanfrancisco/messages/174615.html

-OR-
  • -A Better Seafood Dinner (downtown in Union Square) --
    If you are NOT doing the Muir Woods tour this day, you'll have time to take a cab or Cable Car (perhaps walk to Ghirardelli Square first and then catch the Powell-Hyde line inbound) to Farallon (450 Post near Powell just off the Cable Car line) for an early dinner. This is an underwater fantasy restaurant that you need to see for yourself to believe. I always recommend asking to be seated in the "Pool Room". There is a front area for drinks or light snacks or if you don't have reservations. Worth a visit even if you aren't eating or drinking there; if you're just visiting make sure you walk all the way to the back to see the Pool Room, and on your way back walk up the spiral staircase to see the mezzanine and take a photo overlooking the restaurant.

From Farallon, it's a 1 mile / 5 minute cab ride to Beach Blanket Babylon.

-OR-
  • Dinner in North Beach --

See map of restaurants walking distance to the show: http://www.mapwest.com/beach_blanket/htdocs/bbbmap.pdf

The ONLY restaurant I usually, strongly recommend you AVOID in North Beach is The Stinking Rose*.

*(The Stinking Rose is a non-San Franciscan idea of what a tourist should like. I feel that patronizing this restaurant takes away from the true spirit of the real North Beach. And the best of North Beach has much better food.
    Please stay away!
    )

For recommendations in North Beach, Ristorante Ideale (1309 Grant Ave) is a favored restaurant:
    http://www.chowhound.com/california/boards/sanfrancisco27/messages/99356.html

If you are running late -- especially if you do the Muir Woods tour earlier -- I recommend the very casual but very North Beach Capp's Corner (1600 Powell Street, at Green [beach Blanket Blvd]) just a few doors down from Beach Blanket Babylon:
    http://www.chowhound.com/california/boards/sanfrancisco27/messages/99326.html

From the hotel, it's a .7 mile / 3 minute ride to Beach Blanket Babylon or nearby restaurants.

• 8:00pm - Show: Beach Blanket Babylon
    • If you have reserved seats, you can walk in just before the performance.
    • If you have general seating, I recommend arriving a minimum of 1 hour before show time to stand in line for the best chance at getting decent seats.

NOTE:

With your schedule, and with knowledge that the tickets aren't sold out yet, I consider this show a MUST for you...

I hope you can trust me on THIS one recommendation!

The Thursday, June 1, 2006 show apparently goes on sale on February 13, 2006 at 10:00am.

The section I recommend -- the Magnin Box -- sells out sometimes the SAME day as they go on sale.

These special reserved seats are only available by calling the box office at 415-421-4222:

http://beachblanketbabylon.com/buytix.html

Beach Blanket Babylon at Club Fugazi

678 Green Street (Beach Blanket Babylon Blvd) between Powell and Columbus

[*]After the show, stroll around North Beach, maybe get more to eat or drink!

I personally enjoy pastries, especially a whipped cream or custard and rum specialty, or a slightly warmed sfogliatelle, at Stella Pastry Cafe (at 446 Columbus Ave) immediately after the show, right around the corner:

http://www.chowhound.com/california/boards/sanfrancisco27/messages/99328.html

Friday June 2, 2006:

Saturday, June 3, 2006:

• 9:15am - Gray Line Muir Woods & Sausalito Tour, 3 1/2 hours
  • Return at 12:45pm

[Note: The above tour could be done instead of on Thursday, June 1. This would give you Saturday morning free -- in which case I would especially recommend you visit the Ferry Building Farmers' Market if you don't have other plans:
    • Early morning - (By the hotel) On Beach and Powell, take the F Market & Wharves Historic Streetcar outbound (which is a trolley car instead of a cable car) to the Ferry Building (Embarcadero and Market) - This is a 10 minute trip.
    • After visiting the Ferry Building, you can return to the Wharf or continue on the F Market outbound Trolley to Market and Powell and Union Square for last minute shopping.
    • Cab back to the hotel if you run out of time, otherwise you can return on the Powell-Mason line outbound Cable Car (Powell & Market) or on the F Market inbound (on Market at Powell, or Market at Stockton/Fourth Sts). Both the Cable Car and F Market take 20 minutes, but the Cable Car has a wait at Powell and Market.]

Miscellaneous Other Notes:

Muir Woods:

Muir Woods is easy to do, and will be worth it for those in your group who really want to see the largest trees nearby.

(I lived most of my childhood across the street from Golden Gate Park -- the redwoods there are small babies in comparison.

SIDE NOTE:

Please come back to Northern California some other time to visit the even larger trees elsewhere. For the coastal redwoods, I love driving up highway 101 into the Avenue of the Giants. For the inland trip, the giant sequioas are really even more impressive than one can describe, especially when combined with a trip to Yosemite and a stay at the Ahwahnee Hotel, the Wawona, or even in Yosemite Lodge.)

Monterey/Carmel:

The trip 11 hour bus tour will be worth it. Good choice for your longest tour!!!

Beach Blanket Babylon:

PLEASE try to reserve one night to see this show. This is a must see show. You will need to book in advance as soon as you can. Early May 2006 tickets are already available NOW. Late May 2006 seats will be available by phone starting on February 13, 2006 at 10:00am.

I recommend getting the reserved "MAGNIN BOX" seats; call 415-421-4222 for availability. The Magnin Box has only a few seats, are front balcony, and you can arrive just before the show starts. The reserved Side/Center section, also on the balcony, would be my next choice -- UNLESS you don't mind waiting in line at least an hour before the show to jostle for the best unreserved Front Cabaret or unreserved Center Balcony seats. (There are also the unreserved Rear Cabaret and Rear Balcony seats, if you haven't been able to get the better sections.)

Tour Recommendations:

As I've mentioned on my other post on the other thread, I am NOT affiliated with Gray Line. However, I understand you want an experienced tour and due to time constraints need good scheduling. If you had more time, I certainly would recommend renting a car so you could GET OUT THERE and see the incredible sights on your own, especially on some of my favorite scenic backroad routes! If you come back to visit for a longer time, please feel free to contact me at
and I can give you more recommendations.

What a great plan!

I second the recommendation for Farallon. It's one of my favorite places to go for dinner. The food is very very good and the interior of the restaurant is just wonderful. I went there for my birthday two years ago!

RSS, what is your opinion of McCormick & Kuletto's, over in Ghirardelli Square? I've been there a couple of times for a fish dinner and it's good. I prefer Farallon, though.

Whatever anyone does, if you go to the Ferry Building to see the Farmer's Market and get tempted by a nearby place called Sinbad's DO NOT go there. The food is horrible, I'd rather go eat Fillet-o-Fish at McDonald's. The prices are very high, too. The only good thing about it is that the view is wonderful, but you can see the view without ever going into the restaurant.

Archived