Port of MIami Parking

maryhou

Parking at the port is really the only safe way to park while on a cruise out of Miami.  You'll be glad you paid the $22/day to just walk off your ship and across the street to your parking garage.  It is not safe to use off site parking in Miami if you value your car.

• 4 weeks later...

A little "hack" is to park at the Earlington Heights metro rail garage. Overnight and long term is allowed for $4.50 per day. Uber is about $12 each way and just a few minutes from the port. Save about $100 on a 7 day cruise. 

Even with armed security, still a higher risk of a break in than at the port.  But plenty of people do park there for the airport and what not. 

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BNBR said:

A little "hack" is to park at the Earlington Heights metro rail garage. Overnight and long term is allowed for $4.50 per day. Uber is about $12 each way and just a few minutes from the port. Save about $100 on a 7 day cruise. 

Even with armed security, still a higher risk of a break in than at the port.  But plenty of people do park there for the airport and what not. 

"Metrorail parking is available to Transit customers only. You must board Metrorail or Metrobus to park at a Metrorail facility."

Chances are no-one will care and it's hard to monitor, but it will worry me while on a cruise. Do not want to return to a "blocked & locked" vehicle after the cruise!  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SteerageJoe said:

"Metrorail parking is available to Transit customers only. You must board Metrorail or Metrobus to park at a Metrorail facility."

Chances are no-one will care and it's hard to monitor, but it will worry me while on a cruise. Do not want to return to a "blocked & locked" vehicle after the cruise!  

If you really want to play by the rules, then ride the metro downtown, closer to the port, then hop in an Uber there.

26 minutes ago, SteerageJoe said:

Yeah, to be safe I would ride to Overtown and Uber from there!

Yup, Government Center for anyone who may want the name of the station.  You could park at Earlington Heights, ride the train to government center, then Uber to the port (VERY close by).  Then just Uber back to Earlington directly when you return from the cruise.

Cruisers do park at the station and not ride the train, so this is optional, but it IS the rules and none of us can say there is no risk if you don't play by the rules.  However, for $4.50/day compared to $22/day, it may be worth it for some.  Earlington Height IS an overnight/long-term parking garage with security.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SteerageJoe said:

I did this last year and there was absolutely no problem, even the security guard helped us out with the luggage and how to pay by phone. The train station is a short  walk so they don't know if you're getting a train ot not. We waited right by the station on the sidewalk. We paid between $60-65 for the week including ubers both ways.. I'll be doing it again this February.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hbe30 said:

I did this last year and there was absolutely no problem, even the security guard helped us out with the luggage and how to pay by phone. The train station is a short  walk so they don't know if you're getting a train ot not. We waited right by the station on the sidewalk. We paid between $60-65 for the week including ubers both ways.. I'll be doing it again this February.

I take it you felt comfortable leaving your car there.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

22 minutes ago, BlueHerons said:

Park in Overtown in an unsecured lot?

Huh? You misread my post.

To be perfectly legal, park/pay at Earlington Heights and ride MetroRail to Station  Historic Overtown/Lyric Theatre

Take Uber/Lyft from there because this station is closest to the PortMiami access roads.

After checking things out, I will park at Earlington Heights and take the Metrorail to Overton. Although last time I had absolutely no problem, I will follow the rule this time. It might take a little longer to get to the port, but I'll save a few bucks as well.

1 hour ago, hbe30 said:

After checking things out, I will park at Earlington Heights and take the Metrorail to Overton. Although last time I had absolutely no problem, I will follow the rule this time. It might take a little longer to get to the port, but I'll save a few bucks as well.

Please come back and let us know how your car fared.

10 hours ago, CruiszBug said:

So is the Historic Overtown/Lyric Theatre Station preferred over the Government Center Station? Or are both MetroRail stations fairly equal?

Either one will work but Overtown is a bit closer and you just walk around the corner into Virgin Miami Central (they have a partnership with Lyft BTW so you will see big signs for Lyft at the north entrance).

Miami Central is the Virgin Brightline station with very good European-style restaurants on the 2nd level - perfect for a quick coffee or snack before heading to your ship!

• Thanks 1